Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE greatest album in the pop/rock era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE greatest album in the pop/rock era...

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

Spanning several years of recording, the album featured forays into a range of musical styles, including hard rock ("The Rover", "The Wanton Song", "Sick Again". "Houses of the Holy"), eastern-influenced orchestral rock ("Kashmir"), driving funk ("Trampled Under Foot"), acoustic rock and roll ("Boogie With Stu", "Black Country Woman"), love ballad ("Ten Years Gone"), blues rock ("In My Time of Dying") and acoustic guitar instrumental ("Bron-Yr-Aur")

This album is, simply put, a freaking monster.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

it's cheating when you pick a double album!
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

Spanning several years of recording, the album featured forays into a range of musical styles, including hard rock ("The Rover", "The Wanton Song", "Sick Again". "Houses of the Holy"), eastern-influenced orchestral rock ("Kashmir"), driving funk ("Trampled Under Foot"), acoustic rock and roll ("Boogie With Stu", "Black Country Woman"), love ballad ("Ten Years Gone"), blues rock ("In My Time of Dying") and acoustic guitar instrumental ("Bron-Yr-Aur")

This album is, simply put, a freaking monster.
      Oddly enough, I listened to that album this morning. (Although it is hard to call it an album when you transferred it from compact discs onto the hard drive of your laptop. I sort of miss letting the phonograph needle down and the feeling of anticipation as you waited for the opening strains...but I digress.)

It is, truly, a freaking monster. I love I and II, but PG is a tour de force, their magnum opus, a pretty good record.

I might have to go with Revolver, though.

Comment

I am not sure that Physical Graffiti was even the Top Album of 1975 much less of all time. I prefer Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. But to each his own. We all have opinions, makes it fun to talk about.

Best Double Album for me would be Tommy by the Who.

I might even suggest that Zep's best was their first - Led Zepplin. Of course they had many good ones after.

Hendrix Are You Experienced could be in the team photo.

Albums that come to mind are Four Way Street by Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Jefferson Airplane has to be in there....

Wow, fun exercise... I can't pick.

Comment

Mods: Someone stole Mith's signon. He didn't pick a Rush LP.

Seriously, it's nearly impossible for me to pick one - heck, even with Hendrix, I swing between Electric Ladyland and Are You Experienced.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If I can't go with PG, I'm taking "London Calling", if forced to take a non-double album, it would be "Who's next"
            Last edited by Fresno Bob; 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM.
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Not even the greatest double album of all time

1-The Clash--London Calling
              2-The Who--Quadrophenia
              3-Rolling Stones--Exile on Main St
              4-The Beatles--White Album
              5-Hüsker Dü – Zen Arcade

Comment

Originally posted by HellToupee View Post
                Not even the greatest double album of all time

is bet1-The Clash--London Calling - bah...great stuff but not nearly as epic as Zep
                2-The Who--Quadrophenia - great band..great record...PG blows it away..Townsend can't approach Page when it comes to guitar greatness
                3-Rolling Stones--Exile on Main St - again a great album..but too much sounds alike..
                4-The Beatles--White Album - too many crap songs
                5-Hüsker Dü – Zen Arcade - not even Husker's best double album...Warehouse ter.
                1-The Clash--London Calling - bah...great stuff but not even in the same universe as PG..
                2-The Who--Quadrophenia - great band..great record...PG blows it away..Townsend can't approach Page when it comes to guitar greatness
                3-Rolling Stones--Exile on Main St - again a great album..but too much sounds alike..
                5-Hüsker Dü – Zen Arcade - not even Husker's best double album...Warehouse is better
                Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-03-2011, 10:36 PM.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Mods: Someone stole Mith's signon. He didn't pick a Rush LP.

Seriously, it's nearly impossible for me to pick one - heck, even with Hendrix, I swing between Electric Ladyland and Are You Experienced.
                  I love both of those...especially Electric Ladyland....ooooh close man close...

Actually I have always gone back and forth between Zep and Rush as my favorite band....As much as I love the band that is Rush, I do acknowledge that Zep are the best of the best....
                  Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Oddly enough, I listened to that album this morning. (Although it is hard to call it an album when you transferred it from compact discs onto the hard drive of your laptop. I sort of miss letting the phonograph needle down and the feeling of anticipation as you waited for the opening strains...but I digress.)

It is, truly, a freaking monster. I love I and II, but PG is a tour de force, their magnum opus, a pretty good record.

I might have to go with Revolver, though.
                    I too love Revolver, but Jimmy Page is the riff-master...so many great riffs on PG..and how many albums can run the gamut from an acoustic instrumental (Bron-Yr-Aur) to a pop masterpiece (Houses of the Holy) to a grand epic (Kashmir)..plus In My Time of Dying on which Page shows why he is the ultimate rock guitar god...

Comment

1-The Clash--London Calling - bah...great stuff but not even in the same universe as PG..
                      5-Hüsker Dü – Zen Arcade - not even Husker's best double album...Warehouse is better
                      Oof there is no accounting for taste or lack thereof

Comment

Originally posted by HellToupee View Post
                        Oof there is no accounting for taste or lack thereof
                        You said it

And come on now the White album contains Rocky Racoon, Don't Pass Me By, Why Don't we do it, Good Night, Honey Pie..fiillers all of them...bleh.. and while I enjoy Revolution Number 9..it's really pretty stupid...

"Could You Be the One" is better than anything on Zen Arcade...
                        Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-03-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hyper-masculinity, sexism, homophobia, offensive speech and distrust of institutions are some of the traits shared by rap culture and the American far right.

"Led Zeppelin's mediocre was better than anyone else's best."

Comment

Right after I started this thread I realized that Led Zeppelin IV is just as phenomenal as PG. I go with PG as a hair above IV because of the musical ground it covers.

Comment

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols
                              The Wall - Pink Floyd (although i'm also a big fan of Dark Side of the Moon)
                              Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                              X