Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Eating!

started by Rush 10/19/2001-

I was planning out the menu for this weekend and I got to thinking that I can't be the only one who cooks around here. During the Summer and Fall especially, I try to come up with weekend meal ideas that make things interesting.

On Labor day weekend, I deep-fried turkeys, one each on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. We had relatives and friends over to share in the experience. Each day I tried different rubs and injected marinades. I personally like the bird with just rub on the outside and no injected marinade.

Another weekend I cooked up venison, (although the cook got to quite a bit of that during the process) thin sliced, quick fried with olive oil, garlic, butter, and a bit of seasoned salt. Really good.

Last week it was a nice looking Pork loin, rubbed up with seasoning, then the outside was carmelized in a roasting pan,, on a burner, with some olive oil, turning the loin so that it all sides get sealed up. Then it was into the oven and cooked to just a bit past medium. And yes, it is as good as it sounds.

This weekend, it looks like I'll be cooking up a bunch of Catfish for the wife and kids. (It's not my favorite variety of fish)

So, anybody else do some cooking?

I'll try to keep you all hungry with some updates of my more interesting weekend meals.

Rush
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Here is the Zip file of the Word doc for all the recipes in that thread...
    Attached Files
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

From a lawyer in San Antonio. He goes by Cruelty. Go figure.

Steak Cruelty:
      get porterhouses or t-bones
      rinse with ice water, rub with koshering salt, let drain 15 minutes in colander, rinse off excess salt,
      pat dry with paper towel, rub with herbs de Provence and a little balck pepper, wrap in 3 discreate layers of paper towels, place on rack on pan in refrigerate to dry age 4 days, after 1 day unwrap and remove inner layer of towels and rewrap, baste on both sides and grill on HOT fire or HOT iron pan to medium rare.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

We just had Shepherd's Pie for dinner. May not sound too exciting, but Western food tastes so much better after you've been eating rice for a few days.
        拖裤子,
        放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Judith is getting into fish for Lent. Her current passion is fish tacos. You need a flaky white fish, such as talapia. Marinade in olive oil, lime juice and cilantro for 30 to 120 minutes. While that is going on, mince two chipotle peppers. Mix with a cup of sour cream or crema, plus about a tsp of the adobo sauce. Some people prefer using mayonaisse instead of cream. Refrigerate.

Fire up the grill. Fix a nice fresh salsa, heavy on cilantro and lime. This would be a good time to fire roast some tomatoes and peppers for the salsa. Over a hot fire, grill your fish til flaky. 1 to 4 minutes, depending on thinkness.

Warm some corn tortillas and shred some cabbage. Assemble taco: Fish, chipotle cream, shredded cabbage and sliced onion, and salsa.

Several of these items can be made ahead and used for other things. Any good fresh salsa will work. The chipotle cream will go with anything Mexican. Shredded cabbage is just slaw waiting to happen (I will admit to buying bagged slaw mix for this).

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

My only comment is that after 30-120 minutes in lime juice why bother cooking the fish-- it's ceviche already
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
              My only comment is that after 30-120 minutes in lime juice why bother cooking the fish-- it's ceviche already
              It depends on the thickness, but that is a valid point. The grilling will give it smoke, but so will the chipotle cream sauce.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Some of you may recall a fancy turkey recipe I posted. My French chef aquaintence posted this recently.

In the vein of chefs, this is one refered to by a former Tavern on the Green chef.

from Food and Wine magazine

Z Tejas' Chile Fudge Pie
                Ingredients
                2 teaspoon Ancho puree*
                1/2 lbs Butter
                1/2 cup Chopped walnuts
                1/2 cup Chopped pecans
                2 Eggs
                1/2 cup White sugar
                1/2 cup Dark Brown sugar
                1/2 cup Flour
                1 cup Semisweet chocolate pieces
                9" unbaked pie shell

Instructions
                *For ancho puree: Ancho chiles, which are dried
                poblanos, are dark brown peppers found in the produce
                section. Remove seeds and stem from one ancho chile
                pepper. Place ancho in a small saucepan with water to
                cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until ancho is
                tender. Puree in a food processor.

Melt butter and let cool to warm. Toast pecans and
                walnuts until lightly brown. Beat eggs well and then
                add sugars and flour. Beat until smooth. Add warm
                butter and mix well. (It is important for butter to be
                warm so chocolate chips will melt some.) Add chile
                puree. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Pour filling
                into pastry shell and bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 60
                minutes until done.

In case anyone is wondering, Anchos are the big dried chiles, usually about 5" long and triangular. It is the standard chile for scratch chili in these parts. On the heat scale, they rate a 2 (jalapenoes are 4-5). I would also use some chile pasilla, which has a smoky flavor.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I am going to enter a contest. Here is the recipe. Feedback is desired.

Green Hummus

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
                  lemon zest to taste
                  olive oil, as needed
                  1 tsp sesame oil
                  1-2 cloves garlic, minced
                  1/4 tsp smoky paprika
                  2 Tbsp minced cilantro or parsley
                  1 small jalapeno
                  1-2 avacados
                  Juice of one lemon
                  small bunch basil
                  Salt to taste

Sear the pepper over a burner til the skin blisters
                  Place in a bag and set aside
                  Put peas, sesame oil, garlic, cilantro and paprika in food processor
                  Process until pasty but smooth, adding oil only if necessary
                  Remove jalapeno from bag
                  Skin, seed and mince
                  Remove meat of avacado
                  Mash with lemon juice
                  Roll basil and cut in small ribbons (chiffinade)
                  Add avacado, basil and jalapeno to hummus
                  Mix til blended
                  Garnish with cilantro leaves and a sprinkle of paprika

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    I am going to enter a contest. Here is the recipe. Feedback is desired.

Green Hummus

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
                    lemon zest to taste
                    olive oil, as needed
                    1 tsp sesame oil
                    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
                    1/4 tsp smoky paprika
                    2 Tbsp minced cilantro or parsley
                    1 small jalapeno
                    1-2 avacados
                    Juice of one lemon
                    small bunch basil
                    Salt to taste

Sear the pepper over a burner til the skin blisters
                    Place in a bag and set aside
                    Put peas, sesame oil, garlic, cilantro and paprika in food processor
                    Process until pasty but smooth, adding oil only if necessary
                    Remove jalapeno from bag
                    Skin, seed and mince
                    Remove meat of avacado
                    Mash with lemon juice
                    Roll basil and cut in small ribbons (chiffinade)
                    Add avacado, basil and jalapeno to hummus
                    Mix til blended
                    Garnish with cilantro leaves and a sprinkle of paprika

J
                    Where is the meat? How about some chunks of grilled chicken diced up and thrown in after the blending.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Where is the meat? How about some chunks of grilled chicken diced up and thrown in after the blending.
                      In this contest, the avacados are the meat.

I was thinking something red, but tomatoes are too guacamole, and I already have peppers.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        In this contest, the avacados are the meat.

I was thinking something red, but tomatoes are too guacamole, and I already have peppers.

J
                        Red is an issue. More red fruits than veggies. I don't think fruit will work with this dish.

Taking out peppers and tomatoes (the only fruit that would work) it pretty much leaves red potato, radishes, red onion, or beets (and none of these are all that red). I have never mixed beets with anything except horseradish. I do not know if they will take on the other flavors or overcome them. I happen to like beets but many do not. If the beets overpower could cost you in a contest. If they do not could add some interesting color and texture. I don't think cooked radishes would be a good idea. Seems like red potato would be to starchy with the chick peas. Red onion would work from a flavor standpoint but not really add much color.

Good luck in the contest.

Comment

I will say up front, this is Martha Stewart. Sorry about that.

Skillet-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie
                          2 cups all-purpose flour
                          1 teaspoon baking soda
                          1/2 teaspoon salt
                          3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
                          1/2 cup sugar
                          3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
                          1 large egg
                          2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
                          1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) mixed milk- and semisweet-chocolate chips
                          2 pints vanilla ice cream
                          Caramel Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
                          In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
                          In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
                          Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated.
                          Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined.
                          Stir in chocolate chips.
                          Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan.
                          Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Don't overbake
                          Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes.
                          Cut into wedges.
                          Serve warm; top each wedge with a scoop of ice cream and some caramel sauce.

I can just see the party. Bring in the black cast iron skillet, with the wedge cut cookie in it, and a quart of good quality ice cream dumped in the middle. On the side warmed caramel and chocolate toppings and whipped cream.

Some general cookie tips:

Bhob, do you know an easy recipe for hard ice cream topping that would go well with chocolate?

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I am seriously becoming obsessed with Thai food and really, a lot of Asian meals. I used to be really into the typical junk food-type Chinese food but now that I am older it's like I cannot stop making Thai dishes, Korean dishes, etc. I think it's the balance of flavors and the perfect combinations of vegetables cooked but still crunchy.
                            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                              I am seriously becoming obsessed with Thai food and really, a lot of Asian meals. I used to be really into the typical junk food-type Chinese food but now that I am older it's like I cannot stop making Thai dishes, Korean dishes, etc. I think it's the balance of flavors and the perfect combinations of vegetables cooked but still crunchy.
                              Many years ago when I was in China I got involved in a discussion on how difficult it is to do a proper stirfry in a North America home because you need a propane fired wok that can get up to 800-1000 degrees F at least (if not higher) ... not too many home kitchens can accommodate that. hmm, I think I have a good idea for lunch today ...
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X