So I'm getting married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm getting married

There's been a bevy of craziness in my life of late, and I thought I'd check in with the RJ crowd to say hello and fill you guys in. First off, I got engaged in May (Cinco de Mayo, in fact) to the most amazing woman I've ever met (if you want to know more of our story, check out our website at http://www.mywedding.com/scottandhollysittinginatree/.) The #1 reason I don't check in as frequently anymore is that I spend almost all my free time with my new fiancée. I'd like to say that I definitely miss this place, though, and I'd love to start a thread about what to expect in the future (both near and far). Additionally, I just got into PT (Physical Therapy) school, which I start in January. So the first three years of my marriage, I'm going to be in school and basically not earning a cent while my wife provides (which is way weird to me). Lastly, I was Baptized in March, so I am now a Christian (that's probably another thread in its own right). Talk about a whirlwind of activity in 2012.

I'd love to hear stories from the Bullpen about the indoctrination process of coming together with one's spouse in all aspects of life (except sex -- I'll figure that one out for myself, thanks ). I have no clue what to expect from my soon-to-be in-laws, although I know that my fiancée is much closer to her family than I am to mine and spends a plethora of time with them (whereas I spend very little time with my family overall). It's going to be an adjustment for me, and I'm curious how everyone else out there worked toward adjusting for their spouse (and knew when to push and when to give). I'm also curious about what to expect that I currently don't even have on my radar? What were some unexpected incidents that occurred in your marriages at the outset?

As a background, I come from a broken family (parents are divorced and re-married, although my dad is now likely heading towards a second divorce). I never wanted to get married in my life, in many ways because my own parents were so horrific together in my formative years. And then I met Holly. It really was like fate intervened. (Yes, I sound like I'm ridiculously smitten... and I am.) My model for having a healthy family is not tremendously strong, and I'd love to break that mold and do my best to make this the strongest marriage possible. Any and all advice would be groovy and appreciated.
    Last edited by Bodhizefa; 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM.

congrats -- really nice pics there at the stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      congrats -- really nice pics there at the stadium!
      Getting in the Durham park for those pictures ended up being awesome. Thanks to you and to a couple of other close friends for the connections.
      Last edited by Bodhizefa; 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Congrats ... sounds like things are coming together nicely for you

There is no reason you have to repeat the mistakes of your parents ...

Comment

congrats dude. I always imagined you with more hair.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Congratulations!!

So much great news in this post. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed your pictures.

God bless.

Comment

Congratulations!

You look like bob mould.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Many congratulations my man. Awesome stuff and if you ever make it back out to LA, ping me.

As for the unexpected, have you heard of "Fresno Bob first night rights?"

Comment

I am sorry for our loss.

Congrats. I hope she's as good a Lucky and I got.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                      Many congratulations my man. Awesome stuff and if you ever make it back out to LA, ping me.

As for the unexpected, have you heard of "Fresno Bob first night rights?"
                      Only applies if I havent already slept with them.......
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        I am sorry for our loss.

Congrats. I hope she's as good a Lucky, Gregg, and I got.

J
                        Fixed.

Dude! She is taking pictures running bases and laughing. She is kissing him in the middle of the field. She is a keeper!!

Comment

Congrats.

If it's any consolation, my grandfather was married 4 times and my parents have both divorced and remarried. I've been married 8 years and we just had our second daughter. I'm not planning secret getaways in the night. Of course, I work in the beer world, so I have plenty of escapism. This probably isn't helping you. Ignore me.
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Congrats, Bod! Best of luck to you and Holly!
                            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

congrats to you and your lady!
                              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Working...
                              X