Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Olympics

Post about the olympics here.

The mascots alone almost make up for Chik-fil-A...

Comment

For those who aren't aware, even though the opening ceremony is Friday the games got underway today - Canada losing in women's soccer to Japan, 2-1.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        In a weird bit of sidebar, did anyone read about the Iranian athlete who removed himself from competition in judo because he theoretically could have face an Israeli? Looks like Iran has avoided facing Israeli athletes for some time now. This judo guy even admitted to throwing matches so that he didn't win and advance to face an Israeli.

Anyone able to explain this? Scared of the prospect of losing to a Jew?

Iranian judo champion Javad Mahjoub will miss the London 2012 Olympics because of illness, according to reports. But few Olympic observers are worried about the health of Mahjoub, 21. Many see the withdrawal as a ploy to keep from competing against an Israeli.

In other odd news, a Greek triple jumper has been removed from her Olympic team for a Tweet deemed to be racist. You be the judge. Here's the Tweet:

“With so many Africans in Greece … at least the West Nile mosquitos will eat homemade food!!!”
        Maybe he'll get beheaded if he loses???

racist remark? I don't think so. But stupid in today's ultra-PC world.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Acquaintance of mine has a niece in the Modern pentathlon:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...y-him-olympics

we debate this in my 8th grade engineering class

also - the dude is a model for a shoe company but doesn't have feet - pretty cool

Comment

Nice tattoo...

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

First bad beat was when I heard Michelle wasn't competing ... 13 million later:

Comment

I'm a little bit PO'd that I lived next to London for 12 years, and moved back last year just before this

That said, it's really difficult (see impossible) to get tickets for the big events: Athletics, Cycling, Swimming ... they had to be distributed via lottery such was the demand, and the leftovers all all the super expensive club seats.

Danny Boyle (Trainspotting & Slumdog Millionaire) is directing the opening ceremony ... which judging by the stories is either going to be genius or cringe-worthy ... there will be sheep on the outfield ... repeat ... there will be sheep. I'm expecting a car crash ... I hope I'm wrong. Sheep, Farmer Giles and a mosh pit?

Comment

ooops ...

North Korea initially refused to play their Olympics women's football match with Colombia on Wednesday night after a South Korean flag was shown on the Hampden Park big screens alongside their team lineup.
                    The flag of South Korea was shown on the screen at Hampden Park before the women's football game at Hampden Park leading to a delay of more than an hour

Comment

Apparently Grindr crashed because of all of the athletes trying to hook up lol.

Comment

is it still raining?

My family is all geeked up for the Olympics since we visited a couple of the sites when we were in london a couple of weeks ago....
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          is it still raining?

My family is all geeked up for the Olympics since we visited a couple of the sites when we were in london a couple of weeks ago....
                          No ... weather been great in London this last week or so ... still sucks in Belfast. I think they expect some rain over the next few days though.

SHEEP! LET THERE BE SHEEP!

Q: How can we out-do the spectacular Beijing opening ceremony?

A: SHEEP!

EDIT: as I post this, it starts raining 30 mins before the opening ceremony ... apparently the stadium smells "rural".
                          Last edited by johnnya24; 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Did you guys read that a legally blind archer from South Korea just set a world record? Whoa!
                            Blind in one eye ... probably gives him an unfair advantage!

Comment

Not bad for an athlete who says he just aims for a “blob of yellow colour” 70 metres away because he’s considered legally blind with 10 per cent vision in his left eye and 20 per cent in his right.
                              from a Toronto Star article today
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X