Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people have to look at some perceived negative????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people have to look at some perceived negative????

I just had a grumpy old man complain (bitch) about books being shelved on the top and bottom shelves of shelf units in the library. He said it was too difficult to access these items. He said we wasted money shelving items this way. I can understand that it is not ideal to use the top and bottom shelves for everyone, but should we not use these shelves and waste the space?

The library just underwent a $1.7 million renovation and is absolutely beautiful and he chooses to focus on this. Instead of focusing on the positive of the new library he comes to me with this complaint... I told him every library i was ever in had books on the top and bottom shelves. I have had people ask for help in getting books on these shelves, but never anyone actually bitch about it.

Thoughts? Maybe libraries shouldn't use these shelves????
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I must say, as a short guy, I hate the top shelves in libraries. Always have. As long as there is a stool nearby that I can kick over, I'm usually good, but there is something really discouraging about searching for the book and not being able to reach it without going through a whole rigmorale. I've never complained about it, though. I just don't like it.

Comment

focus on all the patrons who like the renovations and not this one guy.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

short people got, no reason to live...

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          I must say, as a short guy, I hate the top shelves in libraries. Always have. As long as there is a stool nearby that I can kick over, I'm usually good, but there is something really discouraging about searching for the book and not being able to reach it without going through a whole rigmorale. I've never complained about it, though. I just don't like it.
          Most of my staff at the library are height deprived too. So i hear about it from them all the time (jokingly).
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Do you have room in the budget for these?

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Short people get to be comfortable on airplanes. Suck it up at libraries, ya midgets.
              This is incorrect!! Noone and I mean NOONE gets to be comfortable on an airplane.....
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

First of all, I'm not justifying his grumpiness.

As someone who has had back surgery and has great difficulty bending over, I sometimes get cranky when I have pick up something off the floor or from a lower shelf. I'm not upset at the person who put the item on the floor or the lower shelf, I just don't like feeling that nagging pain. I wouldn't mention it to the librarian, though.

So, maybe this guy just picked an inappropriate way to complain about his pain. I'm guessing he really wasn't complaining about the library so much as he was a condition that he cannot improve.

I bet the improvements look great.

I had to clean out my AC drain pipe today, and my back hurts. You kids get off my damn lawn!

Comment

Ah the irony of Mith bitching about somebody else bitching.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Short people are 1000x more comfortable on an airplane than someone like me who can't sit without his knees scrunched up against the seat in front of him or is forced to sit side saddle in order to fit. I'm 6'3" and I can't even imagine what kind of hell an airplane ride must be for anyone even one inch taller.
                    Yeah, I'm 6'2" and travel a decent amount and it can be pretty brutal. I have no idea how the 6'10" guy on my last flight dealt with it considering he wasn't in first class or anything.

Comment

Always get the emergency exit seat. Nice and roomy for the vertically gifted.

Comment

People tend to say something when they are dissatisfied, but say nothing when they are satisfied. Think of all the people who have been through the library and said nothing.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I like it when the books are on the shelves instead of in big piles
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            People tend to say something when they are dissatisfied, but say nothing when they are satisfied. Think of all the people who have been through the library and said nothing.
                            ha! ..

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                              First of all, I'm not justifying his grumpiness.

As someone who has had back surgery and has great difficulty bending over, I sometimes get cranky when I have pick up something off the floor or from a lower shelf. I'm not upset at the person who put the item on the floor or the lower shelf, I just don't like feeling that nagging pain. I wouldn't mention it to the librarian, though.

So, maybe this guy just picked an inappropriate way to complain about his pain. I'm guessing he really wasn't complaining about the library so much as he was a condition that he cannot improve.

I bet the improvements look great.

I had to clean out my AC drain pipe today, and my back hurts. You kids get off my damn lawn!
                              He has been using the library for years and never mentioned this before. My feeling is that he is upset that the city spent money on renovating the library and this was his way of complaining about that. Just a hunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X