Sleep Apnea / CPAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep Apnea / CPAP

I went for a sleep study a couple months ago and went in to see the doctor today. I came home 2.5h later with a CPAP machine.

My dad and grandfather (mom's side) both have it so I kind of expected this. I'm a little disheartened as 4 of the 6 people I know who have it are 60+ so for me there's a bit of an age stigma attached to it. However, it should help my mood and weight, plus it's a cool machine, so I will ultimately embrace it. That, and the girl that outfitted me was a smoking hot 27 year old blonde who went to the high school where I teach...before I started teaching there.

Anyone willing to share their thoughts / experiences?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Don't take my word for it...pics are a couple years old but you get the idea. The best part was whenever she bent over to adjust the face mask. The linen pants and turquoise panties weren't too tough to look at, either.

emily1.jpgemily.jpg

Comment

I'm sure you turned her on looking like darth vader. GL with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
        Yeah this is close to what I was thinking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
          Ha! My rebuttal...

a) Her job is to outfit people with the mask, and today alone she outfitted 10 people with a mask, so I doubt she even notices the mask anymore. Kindof like that Cher movie...I forget what it was called.
          b) I wore the mask for about 5 minutes total. It isn't like I sounded like James Earl Jones for 40 minutes.

Comment

If your apnea is severe (and it sounds as though it might have been since they hooked you up right way), a CPAP machine can save your life. Apnea can wreck your body. A CPAP can allow you to sleep again.

My machine is pretty old now, and the new ones are probably much nicer, but I can't sleep at all without it, not even a nap. I'm very claustrophobic, so it took me a few days to get used to it.

If yours has the water tank, just make sure you keep the tank clean and filled with distilled water. Vodka will not work. Also make sure the mask and hose are clean as well.

And you might as well accept it...resistance is futile. You will become one with the Borg, but your wife will get used to it over time.

I'm really happy for you, because the fact that you now have a machine means that you had a bad problem which will most likely be resolved. Congratulations, and good luck on getting adjusted quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              I'm really happy for you, because the fact that you now have a machine means that you had a bad problem which will most likely be resolved. Congratulations, and good luck on getting adjusted quickly.
              Thanks for the reply, Lucky. A friend went in for a study a few months before me and they did put him in a machine mid-study. I figured the fact that they did not do the same for me was a good(?) sign. They consider 30 (stops in breathing per hour) severe, and I am 31. Others in before me were at 70 and 80. I announced my new $1 000 alarm clock on facebook and have gotten some support...including an associate teacher who I didn't know was on one. I'm excited to see how I feel in the am. I do get 2 masks with the package so I can get different ones to see what my preference is.

Comment

A buddy of mine from Plano was tested after years of not sleeping well, and turned out to have severe apnea. He told me the first night with his CPAP was the best night's sleep he'd had in years. Since then his sleep, disposition and overall health have improved greatly.

It helped my sleep tremendously as well.

Comment

Wow,
                  This all seems like really good news and not bad news.
                  imformation is power.

best of luck to all of you...
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Sleep apnea is no joke. CPAP machines are pretty commonplace now, and do a world of good.

If you have a mild or moderate case, and have trouble with your CPAP machine (or always forget to wear it), there's a minor outpatient procedure that could solve your problem:

What is the Pillar Procedure? The Pillar Procedure is a minimally invasive surgical procedure used to treat snoring and mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). It involves the insertion of small polyester rods, called “pillars,” into the soft palate at the back of the throat. These pillars help to stiffen the tissue in the … Help Stop Snoring and Sleep Apnea with the Pillar Procedure Read More »
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Well, I don't feel a whole lot different this am. It took me a while to fall asleep, and I woke up a couple times early this am. When I took the mask off, the hose had come off, and I'm not sure when it happened. Growing pains...

Comment

I'm going in for a sleep study soon

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          I'm going in for a sleep study soon
                          Good decision. It's one more thing that's good to get checked for. Feel free to give an update here.

Comment

I have been using one for two years. No complaints, it does take a while to get used to. I use a full fask mask, not just the nasal. There a quite a few styles, so you can find the one that works best for you. My wife is thrilled, since I was a very loud snorer, but that takes it away.

Be sure to clean/replace the filter as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                              I have been using one for two years. No complaints, it does take a while to get used to. I use a full fask mask, not just the nasal. There a quite a few styles, so you can find the one that works best for you. My wife is thrilled, since I was a very loud snorer, but that takes it away.

Be sure to clean/replace the filter as well.
                              I am a mouth breather so I opted for the full mask as well. They had a larger one with a button on the forehead that adjusts the angle. My package includes 2 masks so I may try one of each.

You have to fill the reservoir with distilled water daily, so that must be an item on the grocery list now, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X