Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poker: Million $ Buy In

Who's in?

Three day event, starts tomorrow. It is already sold out with a waiting list in play ... the 48 player cap will create a $43m prize pool ($5.28m of the prize pool goes to charity) ... top 20% get paid, and about $17m to the winner.

They are streaming days 1 and 2 on the WSOP website (feature table) ... and the final table is live on ESPN 1 & 2.

Streaming link: http://www.wsop.com/2012/live-video/live-video.asp

Putting up $1M to win $17M seems like crappy odds
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      Putting up $1M to win $17M seems like crappy odds
      48 player cap, so it will be a small and heavily stacked field ... probably they will pay the whole final table. So the pay structure could look something like this:

1st $17m
      2nd $8m
      3rd $5m
      4th $3M
      5th $2.5m
      6th $2m
      7th $1.75m
      8th $1.5m
      9th $1.2m

Pretty decent chance of get some kind of profit ... and more chance of losing your buy in

Edit: I was pretty close http://www.wsop.com/2012/thebigone/f...NE_PAYOUTS.pdf
      Last edited by johnnya24; 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

The sickest story I've read so far is from Josh Arieh:

Yesterday:

Joshua Arieh @golferjosh: Well I'm goin allin. Went to the bank and got every $ I have. I have $916,855. Who want to buy 10% of me for $90k in 1drop, U have 1 hour

Then:

Joshua Arieh @golferjosh: WTF!!! No Fkin way!!! 1Drop is sold out? @kevmath @wsopptd is this true? I'm on a plane flying there to buy in, no way y'all can say no!

Then:

Joshua Arieh @golferjosh: in my bed at the @AriaLV staring at the ceiling. Have I lost my mind? Probably. Setting alarm for 7:45am to go to rio. I guess I'm doin it

Gambling his whole net worth on a one off tourney. This ladies and gents is the exact opposite of good bankroll management.

-------------------------------------

Michael Mizrachi won the PPC last week (won't be shown on ESPN so no spoiler) for $1.5 ... walked straight over to the cage and bought in for $1m.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          The sickest story I've read so far is from Josh Arieh:

[/FONT][/COLOR]Gambling his whole net worth on a one off tourney. This ladies and gents is the exact opposite of good bankroll management.

-------------------------------------
          Arieh seemed like one of the biggest douches on the circuit, this confirms it.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'll be rooting for Josh Arieh. Rooting for him to fall one place short of the money.

With the level of the money being donated, does that mean each player can write off $110,000 on their taxes?
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              I'll be rooting for Josh Arieh. Rooting for him to fall one place short of the money.

With the level of the money being donated, does that mean each player can write off $110,000 on their taxes?
              Yeah ... he is a colossal douchebag. I wouldn't be surprised is if he was just fishing for attention, and had no intention of playing.

I know that Patrick Antonius pulled out because he would have been taxed 40-45% on his winnings in Finland. I'm sure some accountant will be sure to argue that case ... I wouldn't be surprised if some creative accountant didn't try to write it all off.

Of the 48 confirmed entrants ... 16 are "businessmen". Which would normally translate as $16m of dead money in the prize pool .... but in a small field, anything can happen.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Some of you might get a kick out of this

Comment

Not dealing that event. But Onedrop is a good charity if you ever have an inkling to donate!
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Not dealing that event. But Onedrop is a good charity if you ever have an inkling to donate!
                    Will the winner have to tip the dealer, because I heard the dealer can make a difference in a poker game.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Some of you might get a kick out of this

Good stuff
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Will the winner have to tip the dealer, because I heard the dealer can make a difference in a poker game.
                        They will and they do.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The last two seats went to Gus Hansen and Phil Hellmuth. Hansen won a stacked 96 person satellite (Shaun Deeb second for a cool million cash because there was only 1 spot available). Hellmuth bought his seat from the winners of another satellite (presumably a cash + stake deal ... but since it's Hellmuth, who is notoriously cautious, it could be a straight staking deal).

Comment

The last two seats went to Gus Hansen and Phil Hellmuth. Hansen won a stacked 96 person satellite (Shaun Deeb second for a cool million cash because there was only 1 spot available). Hellmuth bought his seat from the winners of another satellite (presumably a cash + stake deal ... but since it's Hellmuth, who is notoriously cautious, it could be a straight staking deal).
                            The big names are all geeked about OnDrop (the tourney) Should be the talk of the town--Oh and Mith, there are some really high stake games at the Aria right now--one dealer got a 25K tip and another a 40K tip. Some guys get it

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              The big names are all geeked about OnDrop (the tourney) Should be the talk of the town--Oh and Mith, there are some really high stake games at the Aria right now--one dealer got a 25K tip and another a 40K tip. Some guys get it
                              The whales and the super-whales are in town.

Comment

Working...
                              X