A tribute to my aunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tribute to my aunt

I've been pretty much off the grid since my Aunt Phyllis was killed on Thursday afternoon when a 75-year-old woman trying to parallel park in front of a McDonalds on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn somehow jumped the curb while in reverse and pinned her against the glass storefront window. So f@%*ed up I can't even articulate it. My aunt was an amazing woman, completely selfless and without pretention or vanity. She dedicated her entire career to working with severely disabled children, mostly pre-school-age. She was about to get her PhD at age 64. She is survived by my Uncle Mike my cousins Adam and Jessica, and by her older brother, my Dad. By Jessica, she had two adored grandchildren, age 7 and 4, with another on the way. I love them all very much. She did so much for her family. She was an amazing knitter - my kids both have blankets and sweaters from her that are just incredible in terms of the time and love she put into them. I'm going to miss her a ton.

That's horrible. My condolences to you and your family.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

So very sorry for you and your's Brian. That's a terrible story about a wonderful sounding woman.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Condolences. We always wonder why good people are taken early but there must be some reason. Hate to sound like a greeting card but remember that she may not be here physically but she will always live your heart and the heart of others she has touched.

Comment

Sorry for your loss Brian. Sounds like the community lost a wonderful woman, as well.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Despite the tragedy of it all, it sounds like you are already remembering her fondly. It's best the way to honor the passing of anyone who matters to you, IMO. Condolences to you and yours, Brian.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

That's absolutely terrible. I'm so sorry for you and your family.

Comment

I'm very sorry to read this.

You and your family are certainly in my thoughts today.

Comment

What an awful end to what sounds like a wonderful life, my condolences.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

What a horrible tragedy.

My prayers go out to you and your family.

Sounds like she was an amazing person who will be sorely missed by many.

Take care....

Comment

Oh man, that's just so awful, B... my condolences to you and your family... So very sad...
                      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Best thing you can do longterm is focus on the good things and not on the ending circumstances.

I had a relative (mother's cousin) about the same age who was killed in a two-car crash by a driver going the wrong way around the service road at the airport in Orlando. 15 years later, it still makes no sense. But I don't think of that when I think of her.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Wow...that's terrible. Deepest condolences to you and your family.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm sorry man. That's really sad. My condolences.
                              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
                              X