No announcement yet.

Hatfieds and McCoys tonight! Anyone in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatfieds and McCoys tonight! Anyone in?

I am looking forward to this:

I prefer the Kelly's versus the McPoyle's

Jimmi Simpson & Nate Mooney give us some insight behind the bizarre brothers, Liam and Ryan McPoyle, on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I am looking forward to this:
      Great cast ... I look forward to downloading it

Comment

I find it interesting that the Hatfields were more respectable than the McCoys, but the one everyone called "The DevIl" was Anse Hatfield.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

They didn't call him "The Devil", but rather "Devil Anse."

There are two different thought processes on where the nick name came from.

The first is that people said he was so tough that he could take on the devil himself and so people started calling Devil Anse - although he apparently didn't refer to himself that way.

The other reason was that there was a second William Anderson Hatfield in the area at the time who was a Minister of the church. He was referred to as "Preacher Anse" and this is probably why the "Devil Anse" name stuck with the more famous of the William Andersons. It served as a way to distinguish between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            They didn't call him "The Devil", but rather "Devil Anse."

There are two different thought processes on where the nick name came from.

The first is that people said he was so tough that he could take on the devil himself and so people started calling Devil Anse - although he apparently didn't refer to himself that way.

The other reason was that there was a second William Anderson Hatfield in the area at the time who was a Minister of the church. He was referred to as "Preacher Anse" and this is probably why the "Devil Anse" name stuck with the more famous of the William Andersons. It served as a way to distinguish between the two.
            A distinction without a difference. He was definitely a mean SOB, and the source of most of the Hatfield militance.

It is also interesting to note that the better connected family is the one that wound up behind bars, and on the gallows. Perhaps their political connections were overly relied upon.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I disagree that there is no difference between calling someone "The Devil" vs simply a "Devil", but I do get your point.

Comment

As my wife would say, "I bet I know what happens!"
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  As my wife would say, "I bet I know what happens!"

The boat sinks?

Comment

Though I don't find hill-country history all that fascinating, the cast is pretty amazing for a History Channel mini-series. I was in from the get go.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Thought that the first night was a letdown...too disjointed and too many cast members to follow easily. I thought that the performances of both Costner and Paxton were first rate, and that the look was spot on.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I very much enjoyed it last night. Agreed that there was a bunch going on and they seem to be trying to spend a reasonable amount of time defining the various "issues" that caused the feud. I cant say Im a fan of either the Hatfields or the McCoys at this point - both families are so stubborn and jump to take action that it gets them in such trouble. That said, Costner and Paxton are both good in their roles. Tom Berenger as the uncle - man that guy has issues!
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I had something come up and did not get to watch it last night. I am glad I have Tivo. Looks like Wednesday will be the start for me.

I did see a couple of interviews from Costner and the producer Leslie Grief. They both felt that each side was partly right and each side partly wrong. The film is meant to convey that no one won.

Comment

Oh yeah and Mrs McCoy had the best two lines of the show yesterday to her husband returning from war:
                            1) I gave up on you (being alive)
                            2) I am prepared to fulfill my duties as your wife - I just ask you not spill your seed inside me as another child berth would kill me..... (or something to that effect)
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I did get a chance to watch part one last night.

Beautifully filmed, great acting. This is great television.

Comment

Working...
                              X