Brian Cashman: Last Year as Yank GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Cashman: Last Year as Yank GM?

It seems Brian Cashman has been feistier than usual in the press, being strangely honest about some players & moves. He was overruled on Soriano -- and made to look like a chump after insisting the Yanks wouldn't give up their draft pick -- then declared to the press it "wasn't his call."

Then he says Andy Pettitte is "pulling a Favre."

Today, he publicly jabs Jeter by saying he wouldn't end his 4-year contract as a SS.

NY Daily News columnist Bill Madden opined that Cashmanwants to build a team from the bottom-up like his other GM buddies, and not be known as a "check writer." Since he's in the last year of his contract, he believes Cashman will walk away from the Yanks to head up a smaller market team and have his dream of rebuilding.

Hey, it makes sense -- just wonder if he'll ever go through with it.

I LOVED his candor today -- I want more of it

Comment

Wait until he realizes "Small Market" applies to the GM's salary too.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I wouldn't say that was a jab at Jeter, as Jason said, he's being honest. It's also something I've heard Jeter say, he knows he'll need to move off SS eventually, but he's just trying to delay that as long as possible and the Yanks are being patient with him cause of everything he's done in the past. Probably more than they should, but they are and that's not really Jeter's fault. Sure, he could say, ok I'll move to the outfield now cause it's for the best of the team. But currently, where would he play?
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          I wouldn't say that was a jab at Jeter, as Jason said, he's being honest. It's also something I've heard Jeter say, he knows he'll need to move off SS eventually, but he's just trying to delay that as long as possible and the Yanks are being patient with him cause of everything he's done in the past. Probably more than they should, but they are and that's not really Jeter's fault. Sure, he could say, ok I'll move to the outfield now cause it's for the best of the team. But currently, where would he play?
          His bat will never play anywhere but SS, and I've never heard Jeter acknowledge a move is inevitable.
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

I also would be surprised if Jeter kept playing as a replacement-level OF, which is what he would be.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Well he didn't just come right out and say he would move to the OF. It came about because Mike Francessa (who was doing the interview) asked him if Jeter might move to 3B (and pushing A-Rod to DH). Cashman said that he didn't think Jeter would be a good fit at 3B because he wanted power at the corner positions and that Jeter would more likely move to the OF if anywhere. He did acknowledge that he didn't think Jeter would finish the contract at SS. I don't see that that's really a big jab at Jeter, more like just being realistic and thinking out loud. But the fans were of course in an uproar.

Comment

I am having a hard time reading whether there really is a rift between the Georgie junios and Cashman or if this is just a boring winter so people are reading into it too much. In a year or 2, the Yankees are going to look really old with Posada, A Rod and Jeter on the roster and they all cant DH. Maybe Cashman sees that there will never be a big youth movement in NY and wants to leave his mark on a team thats built through the bushes, without meddlesome owners but the grass isnt always greener and there will be no way to cover up mistakes with money on 25 or so of the other teams in MLB.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

it was the talk of local sports radio this morning, and here's the Daily News trying to stir the pot:

Comment

If Cashman really wants to flex his "genius" muscles, he should figure out how to upgrade SP4 and SP5 without going nuts with the checkbook. There's a challenge that should be able to hold his intellect for a while.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      If Cashman really wants to flex his "genius" muscles, he should figure out how to upgrade SP4 and SP5 without going nuts with the checkbook. There's a challenge that should be able to hold his intellect for a while.
                      Why should he upgrade both spots when its pretty clear he thinks highly of Nova taking one of those spots?
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        I also would be surprised if Jeter kept playing as a replacement-level OF, which is what he would be.
                        You're ignoring the intangibles.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          To my mind, Cashman has been right on the money with every single statement he's made all year. I'd be more than satisfied if he was the GM of my team (which is both a reflection on what a terrible GM my team has and also the esteem in which I hold Cashman).
                          I, too, agree with pretty much everything Cashman has said and intended to do this off season, but I don't necessarily agree he should have said all of it out loud, or to the media, particularly with respect to Jeter during negotiations and now. After the Jeter negotiations I heard him even acknowledge himself that his bedside manner could use some adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                            I, too, agree with pretty much everything Cashman has said and intended to do this off season, but I don't necessarily agree he should have said all of it out loud, or to the media, particularly with respect to Jeter during negotiations and now. After the Jeter negotiations I heard him even acknowledge himself that his bedside manner could use some adjustment.
                            Why, did he hurt Pretty Boy's precious feelings? Cashman stood up against Jeter's reputation and ego, and wound up reaching an agreement at a much lower price than Captain Intangibles wanted.

Here's how I see it playing out--IIRC, Posada has two years left on his deal. After that, he retires or goes elsewhere, but he won't be with the Yankees. Jeter can then move into the DH spot, where his ability to get on base could still be an asset. Rodriguez could still play 3B and not have his ego bruised again.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

I'm reading speculation that it was Randy Levine, and not necessarily the Steinbrenners, that pushed the Soriano deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Ca$hman isn't getting along with the new power structure as well as he did with Big George in the end. I can see why he'd want to go somewhere that he'd be a bit more free to operate. And I can also see how Levine and Hank/Hal would want to bring in someone new (though I can't imagine who).

Somehow the Yankees really bungled this off-season, screwing around with Jeter for too long and doing it way too publicly, then missing out on Lee, turning Andy Pettitte into Brett Favre and generally turning everyone off. I'm not sure how much of it was Cashman's doing, but I don't think things would be better for the Yankees without him.

Comment

Working...
                              X