The Men Who Stare At Old Goats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Men Who Stare At Old Goats

Story coming out tonight about the military using psych ops to manipulate US Congressional delegations to approve greater military spending...surely this has to be a bad joke.

Someone with stars on his shoulders had better wind up spending the golden years of his life behind bars at Fort Leavenworth for this. If this story is true then this is one of the worst cases of breaching the civilian leadership of the military line that we've ever seen. This has to be come down on in a manner that made Abu Ghraib look like a weekend on KP.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

link?
      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
        link?
        http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...0110223?page=1

It's a Mike Hastings piece, so it carries a lot of credibility. General Caldwell's head has to be on a pike.
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Glenn Greenwald (who, along with Matt Taibbi, is perhaps the most astute reporter/author around, in my humble opinion) details the complicity of MSNBC, the NY Times, Washington Post, ABC, and the Wall Street Journal when it comes to shoddy journalism and the most ridiculous of attacks on Hastings ---- especially the notion that this kind of reporting "has impacted, and will impact so adversely, on what had been pretty good military/media relations" and accused Hastings of violating "a kind of trust" which war reporters "build up" with war Generals.

http://www.salon.com/news/media_crit...02/27/hastings
          Greenwald and Taibbi are great.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This is dirty pool, if true. But in principle is there really that big of a difference between what is alleged to have occurred here and the Bush-era colour-coded "threat levels" which would mysteriously rise every so often? Both, IMO, crossed the line from "informing" to "influencing" (military/civilian divide notwithstanding). For "more funding" read "4 more years".

Comment

Working...
            X