The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Obama has ordered DoJ to cease to defend Article 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, putting an end to the Federal Government trying to impose the ridiculous idea that civil marriage can only take place between a man and a woman.

Thank God that bit of religious bigotry can now be considered behind us as well as beneath the dignity of our nation and its people.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Can I marry a turtle now?

Comment

He's all yours, big boy.

"There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
        ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          If he'd have ya....................
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Don't know if this is related, but as soon as the words "can marry a turtle" were mentioned, that bar manager of mine seemed to get quite excitable in the back room. He must have bust open a keg or something because all I could hear was cheering and splashing. That musty furry smell is back as well...

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
              Don't know if this is related, but as soon as the words "can marry a turtle" were mentioned, that bar manager of mine seemed to get quite excitable in the back room. He must have bust open a keg or something because all I could hear was cheering and splashing. That musty furry smell is back as well...
              I was just laundering the money...er...uh....

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                Obama has ordered DoJ to cease to defend Article 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, putting an end to the Federal Government trying to impose the ridiculous idea that civil marriage can only take place between a man and a woman.

Thank God that bit of religious bigotry can now be considered behind us as well as beneath the dignity of our nation and its people.
                I'm all in favor of the President's decision. But DOMA is not "behind us" until the federal courts rule that it's unconstitutional or it's repealed by Congress. States can still cite the federal law as a basis to deny recognition to same-sex couples married in states that permit it, other "friends of the court", including presumably the GOP Congressional leadership, could intervene in existing court cases and submit briefs defending the constitutionality of the law. And, unless it's been repealed by Congress or struck down by the Supreme Court, a new President could come in in 2012 or 2016 and opine that it is constitutional and should be implemented and defended.

It's also not entirely clear to me what President Obama's decision to have DOJ stop defending the law in court ultimately means with respect to the other myriad federal implications of the law. Will gay spouses be given Social Security spousal and survivor benefits? Will gay couples be able to file joint tax returns? And will the DOJ consider intervening to compel States and/or courts to give full faith and credit to same-sex marriages?

Comment

When a maaaaaaaaaaan loves a womaaaaan....or another man...or a turtle....he Can't keep his mind on nothin' else
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Oh Justice Kennedy! What side of history would you like to be on?

Comment

Contentious topic ... no contention ... is this the Sports Bar?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        We all love turtles in here
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          I think it's one of those issues where the moral passion of those in favor of gay marriage has become so strong that those who remain opposed avoid the debates. It's no fun being called a bigot. What to me is the most significant social development is that the righteous moral passion of the pro-gay-marriage side of this debate now appears to at least equal and perhaps surpass the righteous moral passion of the anti-gay-marriage side. I think it has to be clear even to the most ardent opponents of gay marriage, to the extent they look at the polling trends and breakdowns generation-by-generation, which way history is moving on this one. They may hate the fact that history is moving toward widespread support for gay marriage, but it's hard to see how the trend reverses at this point.

Comment

The administration may refuse to enforce part of the law (whether such a refusal is constitutional is a good question IMO, since the President and AG are sworn to uphold the law), but until that part of the law is off the books, there is potential for trouble. "Going ostrich" is a way to avoid it and is what I've come to expect from the Hopey-Changey Gang, but it won't resolve the issue.

Obviously, such a partial or full repeal of DOMA isn't going to happen this year, but the sooner the better. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that we have bigger things to worry about than who marries who and who puts what body part in what aperture.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              I think it's one of those issues where the moral passion of those in favor of gay marriage has become so strong that those who remain opposed avoid the debates. It's no fun being called a bigot. What to me is the most significant social development is that the righteous moral passion of the pro-gay-marriage side of this debate now appears to at least equal and perhaps surpass the righteous moral passion of the anti-gay-marriage side. I think it has to be clear even to the most ardent opponents of gay marriage, to the extent they look at the polling trends and breakdowns generation-by-generation, which way history is moving on this one. They may hate the fact that history is moving toward widespread support for gay marriage, but it's hard to see how the trend reverses at this point.
                              So IOW, whoever doesn't post in this thread is a bigot

Comment

Working...
                              X