Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the relationship in war between america and france?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the relationship in war between america and france?

i never really went to school. i know that we went to war with england and even spain. but i don't know our history with france. i know ppl joke that the french like to retreat but i was wondering more about our relationship; like the revolutionary war, and the civil war. what role did they play with us in the great war and WWII? and because of all of that, will they always be our allies based on our history?

They supported the US during the revolutionary war ... I'm not sure on the situation in the Civil War ... I think they sided with the South, but had little real impact on the conflict.

In the Great War they held the lines and lost millions of men like the British Empire forces, and then the USA at the end.

In WWII they got overran in a few weeks by the German Blitzkrieg and meekly surrendered to protect their precious capital city.

Comment

Have you ever tasted better fries then french fries?

Comment

When we were still British Colonials, we fought against them in the French and Indian War (1754-1763)

France helped us out in the American Revolution against Britain.

The "Quasi War" was an undeclared battle - mostly naval - that a young USA had with France between 1798 and 1800.

We fought on the same side in WWI and WWII (until Germany occupied France). That's where the idea of the USA liberating France comes from.

We basically took over for France in Vietnam, with poor results.

France was part of our coalition during the 1990-1991 Gulf War, and they've provided some troops in the Afghanistan War, but they were quite critical of the lead-in to the Iraq War in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          We fought on the same side in WWI and WWII (until Germany occupied France). That's where the idea of the USA liberating France comes from.
          It's an interesting situation ... it's typical to assume that Britain, USA, France and Russia were the main allies in both wars. These wars dominate the first 50 years of the history of the 20th century ... but when you think about it, apart from about a year at the end of WW1, the USA and France have never really fought alongside each other. France were already a defeated and subjugated force by the time the USA entered WW2 in 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
            Have you ever tasted better fries then french fries?
            I sir, have tasted Freedom Fries! Proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free...
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
              ... where at least I know I'm free...
              ... to be whatever I want to be.

Comment

there has to be a special relationship between the new world and the old one. im just wondering where it is. ppl say that our immediate bond is with britain. but it would seem based on history, france is just as important. there seems to be a bond between america and france. one that will never be broken. im just wondering why that is. even tho it's a good thing.

Comment

We share the revolutionary bond with france, our revolution often being cited as an influence and or catalyst for theirs. In 1956, us and the soviets had to back france, uk and israel off the suez canal when those three moved in to take it after nassur nationalized it.
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                    there has to be a special relationship between the new world and the old one. im just wondering where it is. ppl say that our immediate bond is with britain. but it would seem based on history, france is just as important. there seems to be a bond between america and france. one that will never be broken. im just wondering why that is. even tho it's a good thing.
                    I don't see it myself. For a time there may have been a kinship of sorts ... especially when Britain were a common enemy. But France doesnt really have a special bond with any other country. Their relations with their ex-colonies was even worse than Britain's. Even after 2 world wars, there is still a sense of arrogant resentment that they had to be rescued. People have short memories.

Comment

Interesting question...I worked a lot in eastern France in the early to mid 90s, and the people were wonderful. I've done a little work in the south of France, and also found the people great. Parisians...not so much, but not as bad as advertised, either.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Has Britain ever given us a Statue of Liberty?

Comment

Working...
                        X