Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voros McCracken -- Sabermetrician in Exile

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...etrician-exile

The creator of BABIP is not doing as well as one might think...

It's not baseball, though, not the sort of satisfying end McCracken desires. He masks the regret with humor, calling DIPS "the one-hit wonder." Granted, it's one with resonance far greater than most. Tango turned the DIPS principles into fielding independent pitching (FIP), the statistic most sabermetricians consider paramount to analyzing pitchers. It's not just the geeks, either. “That’s pretty much how I pitch, to try to keep my FIP as low as possible,” Zack Greinke said on Nov. 17, 2009.

It was the day Greinke won the American League Cy Young Award, despite having fewer victories than any previous AL winner – the truest sign yet that traditional-media voters were not only paying attention to McCracken's work but heeding its ideology. It was also a day before the 10-year anniversary of the first Usenet post outlining DIPS.

"A few years ago, I said to him, ‘Someday you're going to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame for DIPS,’" says McCracken's mother, Elayne. "He just laughed at me. He just laughed."
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

I am fully convinced that working as the employee of a club is not any way to (1) make money or (2) have any reasonable sort of life outside of work. Baseball clubs basically run themselves as a group of small businesses and the hours and pay are commensurate with that, except that any return on the capital goes to the owners and the people who actually have the skill to play the game.

Working in the various companies that surround and support baseball seems to be a better way to make money, although there is still plenty of competition there and plenty of chances to give your work away for free.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Teams have an almost never ending supply of people willing to work long hours for little pay (Just check out the winter meetings' job fairs). Only speaking from my perspective of a 10yr (now former MiLB employee), there is a long list of people who want to work as interns (40-60hr work weeks when the team is on the road...60-80hr work weeks when the team is at home for 180-200 bucks a week). I was just game day personnel (officially), getting $30-35 bucks a game (and that was for 2 hrs before, 3 hr game, 1-2 hrs after[6-8hrs]...not counting the stuff I did at home for the team and when they were on the road)...

But I was always considered a luxury by MiLB team standards as my work didn't bring in any more revenue. The coaches and managers loved having me do the breakdowns but to the org, I was just a 2k red ink stain.
      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Yeah I was really surprised that Voros McCracken couldn't muster up more than $30,000 from the Red Sox, but they will pay millions to some ****ty backup infielder. I undrstand how this stuff works and all with companies, but it's really too bad.

BABIP!
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
        X