X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extemely religious...

To my Brothers in Christ,

Even while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us;” Romans 5:8

He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. - Mathew 28:6

Hallelujah!!

Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for giving us the free gift of salvation. Not by our works but by yours.

Hallelujah!

Amen.

1“Then it shall be, when you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance, and you possess it and live in it, 2that you shall take some of the first of all the produce of the ground which you bring in from your land that the LORD your God gives you, and you shall put it in a basket and go to the place where the LORD your God chooses to establish His name. 3“You shall go to the priest who is in office at that time and say to him, ‘I declare this day to the LORD my God that I have entered the land which the LORD swore to our fathers to give us.’ 4“Then the priest shall take the basket from your hand and set it down before the altar of the LORD your God. 5“You shall answer and say before the LORD your God, ‘My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down to Egypt and sojourned there, few in number; but there he became a great, mighty and populous nation. 6‘And the Egyptians treated us harshly and afflicted us, and imposed hard labor on us. 7‘Then we cried to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our affliction and our toil and our oppression; 8and the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great terror and with signs and wonders; 9and He has brought us to this place and has given us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey. 10‘Now behold, I have brought the first of the produce of the ground which You, O LORD have given me.’ And you shall set it down before the LORD your God, and worship before the LORD your God; 11and you and the Levite and the alien who is among you shall rejoice in all the good which the LORD your God has given you and your household.
    12“When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. 13“You shall say before the LORD your God, ‘I have removed the sacred portion from my house, and also have given it to the Levite and the alien, the orphan and the widow, according to all Your commandments which You have commanded me; I have not transgressed or forgotten any of Your commandments. 14‘I have not eaten of it while mourning, nor have I removed any of it while I was unclean, nor offered any of it to the dead. I have listened to the voice of the LORD my God; I have done according to all that You have commanded me. 15‘Look down from Your holy habitation, from heaven, and bless Your people Israel, and the ground which You have given us, a land flowing with milk and honey, as You swore to our fathers.’

16“This day the LORD your God commands you to do these statutes and ordinances. You shall therefore be careful to do them with all your heart and with all your soul. 17“You have today declared the LORD to be your God, and that you would walk in His ways and keep His statutes, His commandments and His ordinances, and listen to His voice. 18“The LORD has today declared you to be His people, a treasured possession, as He promised you, and that you should keep all His commandments; 19and that He will set you high above all nations which He has made, for praise, fame, and honor; and that you shall be a consecrated people to the LORD your God, as He has spoken.”
    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
        1“Then it shall be, when you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance, and you possess it and live in it, 2that you shall take some of the first of all the produce of the ground which you bring in from your land that the LORD your God gives you, and you shall put it in a basket and go to the place where the LORD your God chooses to establish His name. 3“You shall go to the priest who is in office at that time and say to him, ‘I declare this day to the LORD my God that I have entered the land which the LORD swore to our fathers to give us.’ 4“Then the priest shall take the basket from your hand and set it down before the altar of the LORD your God. 5“You shall answer and say before the LORD your God, ‘My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down to Egypt and sojourned there, few in number; but there he became a great, mighty and populous nation. 6‘And the Egyptians treated us harshly and afflicted us, and imposed hard labor on us. 7‘Then we cried to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our affliction and our toil and our oppression; 8and the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great terror and with signs and wonders; 9and He has brought us to this place and has given us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey. 10‘Now behold, I have brought the first of the produce of the ground which You, O LORD have given me.’ And you shall set it down before the LORD your God, and worship before the LORD your God; 11and you and the Levite and the alien who is among you shall rejoice in all the good which the LORD your God has given you and your household.
        12“When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. 13“You shall say before the LORD your God, ‘I have removed the sacred portion from my house, and also have given it to the Levite and the alien, the orphan and the widow, according to all Your commandments which You have commanded me; I have not transgressed or forgotten any of Your commandments. 14‘I have not eaten of it while mourning, nor have I removed any of it while I was unclean, nor offered any of it to the dead. I have listened to the voice of the LORD my God; I have done according to all that You have commanded me. 15‘Look down from Your holy habitation, from heaven, and bless Your people Israel, and the ground which You have given us, a land flowing with milk and honey, as You swore to our fathers.’

16“This day the LORD your God commands you to do these statutes and ordinances. You shall therefore be careful to do them with all your heart and with all your soul. 17“You have today declared the LORD to be your God, and that you would walk in His ways and keep His statutes, His commandments and His ordinances, and listen to His voice. 18“The LORD has today declared you to be His people, a treasured possession, as He promised you, and that you should keep all His commandments; 19and that He will set you high above all nations which He has made, for praise, fame, and honor; and that you shall be a consecrated people to the LORD your God, as He has spoken.”
        Amen.

Isaiah 53

1 Who has believed our message
        and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
        2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
        and like a root out of dry ground.
        He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
        nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
        3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
        a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
        Like one from whom people hide their faces
        he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain
        and bore our suffering,
        yet we considered him punished by God,
        stricken by him, and afflicted.
        5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
        he was crushed for our iniquities;
        the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
        and by his wounds we are healed.
        6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
        each of us has turned to our own way;
        and the LORD has laid on him
        the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
        yet he did not open his mouth;
        he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
        and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
        so he did not open his mouth.
        8 By oppression[a] and judgment he was taken away.
        Yet who of his generation protested?
        For he was cut off from the land of the living;
        for the transgression of my people he was punished.[b]
        9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
        and with the rich in his death,
        though he had done no violence,
        nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
        and though the LORD makes[c] his life an offering for sin,
        he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
        and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.
        11 After he has suffered,
        he will see the light of life[d] and be satisfied[e];
        by his knowledge[f] my righteous servant will justify many,
        and he will bear their iniquities.
        12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,[g]
        and he will divide the spoils with the strong,[h]
        because he poured out his life unto death,
        and was numbered with the transgressors.
        For he bore the sin of many,
        and made intercession for the transgressors

Comment

Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

It is not commonly spoken of, but Messiah is without question the most significant piece of "Classical" music ever written in English. Handel was in Ireland when he wrote it, with the text from the recently published Authorized Edition (KJV) of the Bible.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Comment

Thanks for all the Peanut Butter Eggs!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    It is not commonly spoken of, but Messiah is without question the most significant piece of "Classical" music ever written in English. Handel was in Ireland when he wrote it, with the text from the recently published Authorized Edition (KJV) of the Bible.
                    J
                    ummm, well, i'm not often one to speak against the messiah as a piece of music, because it is quite wonderful, and i've sung it a number of times (and not just in "community sings" - most recently in a professional performance a few weeks ago with all male soloists here in albuquerque), but to call it "without question the most significant piece of 'Classical' music ever written in English" is a stretch. i assume you mean choral music, because otherwise there would be so much argument as to not even continue. but even there, it depends on what you mean by "classical." you clearly don't mean classical in the historical musical era sense since handel is from the baroque era. but do you include opera? if so, several of wagner's would vie for that title. do you include beethoven? if so, either the 5th or 9th would probably trump messiah. even among contemporaries, most would put bach's st. matthew's passion and the B minor mass above the messiah in terms of "significance."

it's a wonderful piece, no doubt.

or maybe you mean strictly as written in english? that, to me, holds absolutely no meaning - great composers wrote in whatever language they preferred (or what they were competent to write in), and it really means nothing, in terms of importance. at least to me...
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                      ummm, well, i'm not often one to speak against the messiah as a piece of music, because it is quite wonderful, and i've sung it a number of times (and not just in "community sings" - most recently in a professional performance a few weeks ago with all male soloists here in albuquerque), but to call it "without question the most significant piece of 'Classical' music ever written in English" is a stretch. i assume you mean choral music, because otherwise there would be so much argument as to not even continue. but even there, it depends on what you mean by "classical." you clearly don't mean classical in the historical musical era sense since handel is from the baroque era. but do you include opera? if so, several of wagner's would vie for that title. do you include beethoven? if so, either the 5th or 9th would probably trump messiah. even among contemporaries, most would put bach's st. matthew's passion and the B minor mass above the messiah in terms of "significance."

it's a wonderful piece, no doubt.

or maybe you mean strictly as written in english? that, to me, holds absolutely no meaning - great composers wrote in whatever language they preferred (or what they were competent to write in), and it really means nothing, in terms of importance. at least to me...
                      I love how this board is filled with such diverse expertise. I mean even Papa Deuce was an "expert" at BBQing and kids parties.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                        I love how this board is filled with such diverse expertise. I mean even Papa Deuce was an "expert" at BBQing and kids parties.
                        Agreed. It makes the board a lot of fun and a pretty good resource.

Comment

Working...
                        X