Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What programs will you be using to take to auctions this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What programs will you be using to take to auctions this year?

Just like the title says, what program will you be using in auctions this year?

Also, anyone going back to pencil after using a program?

I was going to use rotochamp for the first time but it just wasnt meeting my needs. They were kind enough to refund my money and I purchased rotolab so I will be using that.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

We are old school no computers allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
        We are cheap old curmudgeons, no computers allowed.

fixed
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I've used rotolab for years and just inputted my own projections. The functionality is incredible

Comment

Pen and paper, as I always have. Most of my leaguemates are more casual about FB than I am, so I've never felt the need to get all computerized for our auction.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Except for my online leagues for which I use the CBS draftroom, in all leagues I use the same things: a list of all available players by position in a rough order of how much I want them (no stats, no dollar values), a pencil. In the league I commish, I use a laptop with a spreadsheet just to track the draft, but it's not really for MY draft.

Comment

I'm still a pen and paper guy.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  I've used rotolab for years and just inputted my own projections. The functionality is incredible
                  Jason, when you input your own projections, does rotolab calculate the values for you? Do you have to input all projections, or just start with what they have and tweak the ones you don't like?

(BTW, where does Rotolab get the projections it uses? I know that if you have the Shandler subscription you can have those, but where does Rotolab get projections for the non-Shandler user?)
                  Last edited by ; 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Two notebooks, three pens and a calculator.

About as simple as I can make it.
                    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      Jason, when you input your own projections, does rotolab calculate the values for you? Do you have to input all projections, or just start with what they have and tweak the ones you don't like?

(BTW, where does Rotolab get the projections it uses? I know that if you have the Shandler subscription you can have those, but where does Rotolab get projections for the non-Shandler user?)
                      you download Baseball HQ projections and then tweak as you see fit. Once youve tweakesd a player, you will not get any updated projections from HQ for that player.

Comment

Rotolab, which is indispensable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post

I do them all....Rotolab uses Shandler's only by contract. If you are a subscriber, the links to BBHQ in the system work and you can pull down updated projections in season; if you're not you only get the projections. I hit the "valuate" button and it recalculates the values on the fly.

Comment

Custom spreadsheet because we do a longer draft and I'm also a league officer and need to keep up with whether players fit on rosters etc. If we were doing it in person, I'd probably just print off a list of players and draft from it.
                            18 team mixed 4x4 draft league. Champion in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

Comment

Up until last year I was all pencil, paper, and highlighters, blue for the players I drafted, pink for the players my opponents drafted (psychological advantage). I had an 8.5x11 with my cheatsheet, but I'm the commish so I also had an 11x17 to fill in all the rosters, and 14 (or 16) 8.5x11 sheets for each AL (or NL) team's depth chart from theinsidepitch which served as our official list of who was eligible in our auction draft. Finally I had a sheet where I simply tallied everyone's remaining auction budget. I created all these sheets in Excel prior to the draft and then printed them out and did everything by hand at the draft. When a player was drafted I had to write his name on the roster sheet, highlight his name on my cheatsheet, under each position if he was multi-eligible which often slipped through the cracks, highlight him on his MLB team's depth chart, and subtract his bid amount on the tally sheet. When the bidding was clicking along, it could get a bit hectic.

Then last year I created my own Excel spreadsheet that incorporates and links all those sheets above. Now I simply add a player and his salary on the rosters tab and it highlights, blue or pink as applicable, every occurrence of that player's name on my cheatsheet tab, it highlights his name on the one tab that now holds all teams depth charts from mlbdepthcharts, and his salary is automatically reduced from his new owner's budget. Of course I also have the additional calculations for remaining max bid and remaining average bid, along with rankings for each team.

I was nervous because I tried to create draft "programs" in the past and never used them because if something went wrong it became a cluster to back up and try to fix or undo and I didn't need that while in the heat of the battle. This however is all done by vlookups and conditional formatting and if I accidentally add a player to the wrong team or assign the wrong salary, I simply delete the contents of the cell and make the necessary correction. I basically just computerized everything I was doing by hand, no fancy menus or draft interface needed.

I haven't done anything with it regarding in draft dynamics such as inflation or categorical needs. Last year I thought I might for this season, but right now I don't feel it's a great enough need to put forth the effort in lieu of my actual draft prep. Maybe next year.
                              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Working...
                              X