Melo is a Knick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melo is a Knick

Its official pending physicals. Not sure if I like it. We gave up Felton, Galanari, Mogzov, Chandler, Curry, draft picks and 3 million for Melo, Billups and thrown-ins. Perhaps our starting lineup is better, but our depth is gone. They say the Knicks may make a run at Chris Paul in free agency which would be nice, but I'm not sure if I am happy with the trade now. What do you think? Are the Knicks better or worse?
    拖裤子,
    放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

I think it's an awful deal for the Knicks. It was too much to give up. They aren't gonna get past Boston, Miami or Orlando this year.

Billups is signed for next year so how are they gonna get Paul? Is there a buyout in the deal?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Billups has a team option that the Knicks may pick up.

The Nuggets came out smelling like a rose under the circumstances.

If Anthony cared about winning a championship, he could have basically joined this previous Knicks core as a free agent this summer, and that might have done it.

But with almost all pro athletes, it's all about "respect" - and nobody risks winding up with a lesser contract as would have happened if he didn't get the extension now.

Ironic thing is how many of them wind up filing for bankruptcy anyway - a staggering number, actually. So the extra money winds up meaning nothing longterm.

That said, the Knicks now have 2 All-Star starters. They still may wind up with all the marbles in the next couple of years...
      Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-22-2011, 01:05 AM.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

funny i think this is a great deal for the Knicks. They were never going to win anything with the core players they had. Chandler has already hit the wall this season, Gallo was fairly inconsistent and couldnt handle any kind of scoring burden. Felton and Billups is basically a wash for now, but lets not forget that Felton basically came out of nowhere to be a top 10 PG this year. Mozgov? Who knows, but he hasnt impressed anyone yet.

Melo is playing his best basketball right now, and his style fits in with D'Antoni.

All they have to do is come together in time for the playoffs, and the Knicks have a much better shot at winning now than they did before the AS break. Their core is much more formidable, especially in a 7-game series.

Denver might have gotten some talent in return, but NY can make a run right now.

Comment

I agree. Great deal for NY. Billups is a suitable replacement for Felton. Gallo is mediocre, nothing more and Chandler is an inconsistent kid. TheKnicks got a great player who will thrive in NY for a long time. Mozgov doesnt look like much to me in the few times I saw him.

Also, I thought I read Curry was not part of this deal and was a piece to a seperate deal coming shortly.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

In the NBA if you get the best player in the deal you generally win the trade and Carmelo is far and away the best player in the deal. Yeah this screws up the team balance going forward this season, but who cares? They were going to make the playoffs with this squad by default probably and thats about it. They traded a bunch of could be's and what if's. No sure thing prospects that you can build around.

Chandler was going to be lost this offseason anyway. Would have had to let him walk in order to sign Melo.
            Gallo hurts losing out of all of these guys. He has the most potential probably, but unless he turns out to be the next Dirk not a huge loss when we got Anthony instead.
            Felton? Solid player this year, but totally replaceable. Knicks long term have their eye on Chris Paul who is a FA after 2012.
            Mozgov? Ha the guy was benched most of the season had a nice game a few weeks ago with a double double and now he's a must have? Maybe he turns out to be a solid rotation player eventually, but come on can't let a guy like this make you lose out on Melo.

Billups while older than Felton by far and less athletic is a playoff tested vet that can contribute and help Melo get settled in NY knowing his game already from being teammates. Billups also only has an option year left on his contract not prohibiting a run at Paul after next season.
            The rest of the "throw in" guys are fair replacements for some of depth lost to Denver.

This biggest drawback i see in the trade is again the Knicks giving up more picks. They aren't going to be able to find much help through the draft with no 1st round pick until 2015 and a bunch of 2nd rounders gone.

Comment

2nd rounders in the NBA rarely if ever, amount to impact players.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

This is true, but it does limit their ability to get some cheap help the next few years and potential trade chips. Hell look at Landry Fields who i'm really glad they didn't give up. 2nd round pick from last year having a very successful rookie season.

Comment

agreed on Fields. I like him but I think with Melo and Amare in place, youll find plenty of guys will want to come here via free agency.

Now the Knicks margin for error has shrunk so theyll need to be judicious in who they use it on.

Is anyone up on where the Knicks will stand cap-wise after the smoke clears?

Comment

No clue on the cap, but since the uncertainty of the league issues coming this summer who knows what changes will be made with the cap etc. That's one of the main reasons Melo didn't want to wait to free agency and wanted the trade now.

Comment

I love the deal for the Knicks -- finally, the team is relevant again after a lost decade.

Denver did fine considering they were gonna lose him, but the Nets deal was far better for them (Cousins., Harris + 4 1st rounders) than this one.

The Knicks also made a second trade, sending Anthony Randolph to Minnesota for Corey Brewer, so the Knicks added Melo, Billups, Brewer, A. Carter, former Isiah goldenboy Renaldo Balkman, and Shelden Williams -- enough to make up for what they traded away.

Maybe they'll get to the 2nd round, but next year is what matters more.

Comment

Not that I can stand the NBA, but how will this deal look next year when Anthony pulls some sort of Plaxico and is in jail for a couple of seasons?
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I agree that these Knicks still won't be able to beat Boston, Miami, Chicago or Orlando in a playoff series this year, but that isn't any worse than where they stood before the trade, and given the power the NBA's stars have to control their landing place, this will make them more attractive to key free agents moving forward. Of course, if the rumors of Isiah Thomas returning as GM are true, I will have no choice but to root incredibly hard against the Knicks, which is hard for me. I generally root for the success of every NYC-area team, but Isiah is absolutely impossible for me to ever root for.

Comment

For this season, they are probably right where they were a week ago... making the playoffs and unlikely to upset anyone. Maybe Billups and Melo both get hot and they pull a first round upset... but probably not.

This is all about the future... they've got Melo and Amare for a few years now, assuming D'Antoni doesn't melt Amare's knees this season. And they can get a 3rd guy and hopefully fill in with some depth guys, but it's going to be hard to find depth with no draft picks (look at the Heat's supporting cast this year). Now these "aging veterans" have a bunch of places they could go on 1-year deals, and it seems like most of them are choosing Boston right now.

I wonder if the Knicks would be smart to trade Billups this season rather than worry about the option. Of course, if they get rid of him and then don't get CP3, then what do they do?

Comment

How ya like him now?
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                              X