Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Here's what I don't understand...why hasn't Justice Thomas asked a question in oral argument in over six years?

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Here's what I don't understand...why hasn't Justice Thomas asked a question in oral argument in over six years?
    Here's his answer:

Linky - http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...mas22_ST_N.htm

Thomas, 62, has given many explanations through the years for his unwillingness to speak up during the hour-long sessions that supplement the written briefs submitted in a case.

"I had grown up speaking a kind of dialect," Thomas, who was born in Pin Point, Ga., and raised by his grandparents in nearby Savannah, told a group of students in 2000. Classmates "used to make fun of us. ... I just started developing the habit of listening. ... I didn't ask questions in college or law school. I could learn better just listening."

More recently, Thomas said he thought lawyers should be able to do more of the talking during the hour-long sessions, to better explain their legal positions.

"I think there are far too many questions," he said in a 2009 interview with C-SPAN. "Some members of the court like that interaction. ... I prefer to listen and think it through more quietly."

Referring implicitly to how active his eight colleagues are in their questioning, Thomas said, "I think you should allow people to complete their answers and their thought and to continue their conversation. I find that coherence that you get from a conversation far more helpful than the rapid-fire questions. I don't see how you can learn a whole lot when there are 50 questions in an hour."
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

That's a pretty weak answer, in my opinion. The issue is not whether there should be 50 questions in an hour, but whether there should be at least one in six years.

By the time oral argument comes along, the justices know the briefs inside and out. Having the attorneys rehash their briefs is not particularly informative. The questions by appellate judges pick up where the briefs leave off and challenge the attorneys to support any weak spots in their cases. And every case has some weak spots.

I've argued a number of cases to appellate courts, most in state courts, one in federal court. Not all the judges ask questions every time, but all the judges ask questions sometimes.

There's a more believable reason out there than "I like to listen".

Comment

There's a more believable reason out there than "I like to listen".
        Sounds juicy. Let's hear it!
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

He said he prefers the oral argument when Anita Hill is around.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Sounds juicy. Let's hear it!
            Dunno. I was hoping someone had an idea.

Comment

because Scalia hasn't given him permission yet
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

It sounds like he's self-conscious about public speaking. The confirmation hearing probably didn't help.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  It sounds like he's self-conscious about public speaking. The confirmation hearing probably didn't help.
                  Maybe so. It seems that having one of the most powerful positions in the world would help someone get past that, but things like that can stay with a person.

Comment

Thomas is an unusual judge, as you know.
                    He parses the original language from the Constitution and old, old laws at other times. Tries to make sure that the modern meaning of a word is what it meant back then.

I wouldn't want to have more than one of him on the court, conservative or liberal, but I think with nine justices it's ok if "only" eight ask questions. He's also usually in tune with Scalia, who is pretty verbose when he wants to be.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      He's also usually in tune with Scalia, who is pretty verbose when he wants to be.
                      We often refer to Justice Thomas as "Justice Renfield" in our house
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Thomas is an unusual judge, as you know.
                        He parses the original language from the Constitution and old, old laws at other times. Tries to make sure that the modern meaning of a word is what it meant back then.

I wouldn't want to have more than one of him on the court, conservative or liberal, but I think with nine justices it's ok if "only" eight ask questions. He's also usually in tune with Scalia, who is pretty verbose when he wants to be.
                        As a judge, I cannot imagine that over a six year period there wouldn't be a single question I thought was critically important and wasn't asked by the other eight justices. I've always thought his judicial philosophy was questionable, but it's hard to believe that he's not intellectually curious enough to have a question to ask. I think maybe Eric has it figured out, that it's more of a psychological reluctance than anything else. I wonder what type of "dialect" he is referring to, that made him uncomfortable.

Comment

He is a reprehensible human being, so his silence is probably for the best. The fact that he sits in Thurgood Marshall's seat is one of the saddest ironies in American government. While I enjoy not hearing the sound of his self righteous, ill informed voice tremendously, let's cut through the bullsh1t about dialects and "psychological" reluctance-- he's a simpering fool who simply does what he's told to do by those whom he worships and is perhaps the worst Justice in the Court's history. Not that I have strong feelings about Mr. Justice Thomas or anything.
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

He has given a fair number of public speeches and interviews at this point, so I don't think it's an embarrassment about his dialect or a fear of public speaking. I also had the opportunity to meet him twice when he hosted me and some of my fellow law firm summer associates back in the late 1990's, and he was a perfectly engaging and intelligent contemporaneous speaker. He is, however, stubborn, and he does hold and nurse grudges forever. For that reason, I suspect the decision not to question from the bench stems from a grudge against the media and that every media criticism over the years about him not asking questions from the bench has led him to dig in his heels more firmly.

Comment

It's gotta be exhausting, suppressing one's innate reprehensibility in order to maintain a facade of engagagement. Maybe he's too tired to ask questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X