Hunger Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunger Games

So I took my step-daughter to go see this movie last night for the midnight opening. First of all, the theatre sold out 5 different midnight screenings. It was amazing to see the number of cars in the lot.

The movie itself was well done - the society that this takes place in is one really twisted place. I enjoyed the movie, and I imagine that there is plenty from the book that wasnt really brought out and this may have easily been a 3 hour movie if they chose to really build on some of the underlying sub-plots.

I enjoyed the movie - though I am dragging ass right now....
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

I've read the three books as has my 13 year old son, he even read the first book in Spanish, and his class is going to see the movie today.
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

My son and wife read the books, and both want to see it today.

Comment

So, I definitely missed this craze completely. I am aware that the craze exists, but I'm afraid to look up what it's about because I don't want spoilers if I decide to read them all.

Can anyone give me a general sense of the gist of the story?

Comment

Japanese Running Man
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by umjewboy View Post
            So, I definitely missed this craze completely. I am aware that the craze exists, but I'm afraid to look up what it's about because I don't want spoilers if I decide to read them all.

Can anyone give me a general sense of the gist of the story?
            I have to admit I'm not in tune with a lot of children's / teen literature these days. My 11 year old niece was round last month, and I asked her what she was reading. She said, I'm reading the new Jacqueline Wilson book for school ... it's about this girl whose Daddy leaves the family and runs off to Spain to open a bar. Mummy is a depressed alcoholic and the girl has to take responsibility to help her younger brothers and sisters.

So not like The Famous Five then ...

Comment

The reviews I've read would seem to place these books in the world of literature (e.g., Lord of the Flies) rather than just YA pulp (e.g., Twilight), so I'll accept their wide popularity as a good thing, considering how many kids read so little.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Essentially there's an oppressive regime that keeps its colonies under control by severely limiting their access to food. Every year a drawing is made at each colony for two kids that will compete with kids from other colonies in a match to the death where the winner gets a bunch of food.
                The Hunger Games themselves originated as a result of people from one of the districts starting an uprising to try and break free from their control. That attempt was defeated by the Capitol and every year they host these Games as a reminder of their absolute power and control.

In addition, the games are televised as a macabre Must See TV type event that the people crave.

There is a romance angle involved in the series, but to ease anyone's concerns - Twilight, this is not.

Comment

The first book was really outstanding. It's a trilogy, and the 2nd and 3rd weren't quite as good. But they're committed to making all 3 movies.

There are cute young boys and girls and there IS a love triangle of sorts, so the Twilight comps are inevitable, but it's nothing like that.

Lord of the Flies meets Running Man?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    The first book was really outstanding. It's a trilogy, and the 2nd and 3rd weren't quite as good. But they're committed to making all 3 movies.

There are cute young boys and girls and there IS a love triangle of sorts, so the Twilight comps are inevitable, but it's nothing like that.

Lord of the Flies meets Running Man?
                    Or, speaking more of the film than the books, just an Americanized version of Battle Royale?

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Japanese Running Man
                      American Battle Royale
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        I have to admit I'm not in tune with a lot of children's / teen literature these days. My 11 year old niece was round last month, and I asked her what she was reading. She said, I'm reading the new Jacqueline Wilson book for school ... it's about this girl whose Daddy leaves the family and runs off to Spain to open a bar. Mummy is a depressed alcoholic and the girl has to take responsibility to help her younger brothers and sisters.

So not like The Famous Five then ...
                        Ha ha, my 11 year old son loves the Famous Five books, which are excellent complements to his two other loves, killing Nazis and zombies in Call of Duty and the Resident Evil games

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          Or, speaking more of the film than the books, just an Americanized version of Battle Royale?
                          more political intrigue, but yea...

in the same sort of realm, I really enjoyed the "Chaos Walking" trilogy, starting with "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness

It's not Battle Royale, but it is anchored around a boy, coming of age, on a mostly subsistance-farming colony world. "Enclave" by Ann Aguirre is more "living in the nyc subway tunnels to escape the Mad Max world above" and good also

Comment

Has anyone read the Steven King (I think he published it under Richard Bachman) short story - "The Long Walk".

Kind of a stretch - but futuristic game show/public event where 'contestants' die. One of my favorite Steven King stories.

Comment

Was always partial to Roald Dahl as a kid. Danny the Champion of the World was my favorite.

Comment

Working...
                              X