BABIP vs LD%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BABIP vs LD%

I'm curious to see if anyone has done some BABIP vs LD% comparisons.

I'm not a big fan of BABIP. To me, it says is how hard a batter is hitting the ball & whether a pitcher is getting raked. Virtually nothing to do with luck.
    Doesn't LD% show you the same thing?

I'm also wondering, since we have Pitch/fx for pitchers, if anyone is doing research on how hard a ball is being hit in mph & how often say a ball coming off the bat at 120 mph turns into a hit.

If a player has an unusual BABIP I think for batters you need to look at his FB, LD, and GB% vs. previous years, the explanation is usually there.

For pitchers it really depends on the pitcher imo, there's lots of areas you can look. How are his numbers with runners on base? is he a fly ball pitcher? ground ball pitcher? are any of his other ratios out of whack vs. the norm? I'm not going to look at Fausto Carmona the same as Brett Myers or either the same as James Shields. Yea, we all want the easy answer but for pitchers I don't think there is one.

Comment

Originally posted by the heat View Post
      I'm also wondering, since we have Pitch/fx for pitchers, if anyone is doing research on how hard a ball is being hit in mph & how often say a ball coming off the bat at 120 mph turns into a hit.
      It's extremely rare for a batter to hit the ball 120 mph, but here's a graph I did a while back that might answer your question:

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
      X