Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than Half of Mississippi GOP Primary Voters Believe the President is Muslim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than Half of Mississippi GOP Primary Voters Believe the President is Muslim

>Link

"...Of all the respondents, only 12% believe President Obama is a Christian, and 52% believe he is a Muslim. These numbers, like in Alabama, are more pronounced among evangelicals: only 9% of evangelicals in Mississippi believe the president is a Christian, and 54% believe he is a Muslim."

I posted this on Facebook and set off a firestorm, mostly because friends and family from Mississippi were instantly defensive about it.

Pretty amazing.

Why were friends and family instantly defensive? Do they know better and feel embarrassed by what this sort of thing does to further harm the image of the state? Or is there some other reason?

I know some people who claimed to believe he was a Muslim prior to the election, but here 3+ years later they are convinced that if he had plans to turn the country to Islam he would have done it by now.

Comment

Bill unless you live in MS don't judge people by what you read! My preacher didn't tell me who to vote for and we dont marry our cousins! Don't know where you're from but until you come and visit us, don't f$$king judge us! You don't have that authority!
      amen, brother!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Why were friends and family instantly defensive? Do they know better and feel embarrassed by what this sort of thing does to further harm the image of the state? Or is there some other reason?

I know some people who claimed to believe he was a Muslim prior to the election, but here 3+ years later they are convinced that if he had plans to turn the country to Islam he would have done it by now.
        Nah, he's just going to pardon every one of the muslim brotherhood that are in our legal & illegal prisons on his way out

Comment

People read those stats and fear that people will assume it's all of Mississippi, and they are naturally defensive about the state because they know they're looked down upon.

Of course, every person I know there (and in Louisiana too) despises Obama like no other politician in my lifetime.

Comment

Also this:

On other issues, 60% of respondents in Alabama do not believe in evolution; that number jumps to 74% among evangelicals.
            My question, though, is if 12% think he's a Christian and 52% think he's a Muslim, what do the other 36% think? That he's an alien? A Jew? A Mormon?

Comment

Chuck Todd trashed this poll this morning on The Today Show. It was automated, push button (notoriously unreliable) and the question was phrased in an easily misinterpreted way. Chuck Todd isn't a GOP lackey, so I think what he says has some credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Also this:

My question, though, is if 12% think he's a Christian and 52% think he's a Muslim, what do the other 36% think? That he's an alien? A Jew? A Mormon?
                Presumably a godless commie. (Although, in all seriousness, usually the remainder in a poll like this would be "don't know").

In any event, it's probably a good thing Mississippi doesn't likely factor into the President's re-election strategy.

Comment

And he would have if not for those obstructionist Republicans. They'll do anything to stop the Obama agenda.
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This supports my theory about the most ignorant population on Earth - those who have the time and inclination to fill out political surveys.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      This supports my theory about the most ignorant population on Earth - those who have the time and inclination to fill out political surveys.
                      I've often wondered how much this phenomenon skews the results, especially when a poll produces an unbelievable result like this. When you exclude from the pool of respondents people who are smart enough to block or screen these calls, people who don't answer their phones because they're actually working or in school, people who have enough going on in their lives that they instantly hang up when a pollster does get through, etc., it's pretty scary to think about what's left. Anything's possible in the state with the lowest literacy rate in the union, I suppose, but I'm skeptical - this is a pretty remarkable level of crazy, even for someplace with Mississippi's reputation.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Why does it even matter what religion obama is?
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                          It shouldn't, unless his religious belief is driving him toward bad policies (as I personally perceive with respect to Santorum), but I'm guessing his religion does matter to the folks who believe that he's a Muslim. I'm guessing there aren't many Obama supporters among those who tell pollsters that they believe him to be Muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            It doesn't, and the fact that the pollster even bothered asking the Muslim question (that is so 2008) makes me wonder if they were just fishing for a controversial headline.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                              careful not to bite the hand that feeds you...
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X