The Journalistic Hat Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Journalistic Hat Tip

Has anyone else noticed this happening more and more over the past year or so? It seems that much of the time reporters on the social media outlets are patting each other on the back and reporting who had a story first as if their audience is keeping score. Who really cares when just about every news story breaks pretty much simultaneously as a result of that same social media? Maybe on something that required some work-- running down a rumour, actually investigating a story to find something worthwhile-- I can see the impulse to give credit but when I get 8 tweets on a trade or an injury with everyone giving someone credit for "breaking" the story it starts looking like a journalistic circle jerk.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Journalistic Hat Tip would be a good name for rock band. Journalistic Circle Jerk would be a good name for a punk band.

Comment

It is mainly a backlash at ESPN who never sources anything to anyone but their own sources who most of the time are just reporting what someone else has put out there already.

My biggest pet peeve on social media are people who pass stories along as sole sources trying to make themselves into something they are not. What I'd like to see is instead of

"Chris Perez out 4-6 weeks as 1st reported by @MLBastian" from someone like Rosenthal, I'd prefer to see "Now that Perez is out 4-6 weeks (link to original tweet), the Indians are likely going to go to Pestano for saves"

Comment

"Maybe on something that required some work-- running down a rumour, actually investigating a story to find something worthwhile-- I can see the impulse to give credit"

That's when I see credit given, actually.
        But I understand that it's a bit 'inside baseball' for the casual fan.
        I like the idea of the simple link, though
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          Has anyone else noticed this happening more and more over the past year or so? It seems that much of the time reporters on the social media outlets are patting each other on the back and reporting who had a story first as if their audience is keeping score. Who really cares when just about every news story breaks pretty much simultaneously as a result of that same social media? Maybe on something that required some work-- running down a rumour, actually investigating a story to find something worthwhile-- I can see the impulse to give credit but when I get 8 tweets on a trade or an injury with everyone giving someone credit for "breaking" the story it starts looking like a journalistic circle jerk.
          It's not as if those guys and gals can get laid, so they practice the circle jerk instead.

Seriously--I think a lot of so-called journalists have been caught proclaiming themselves "first!" when all they'd done was quickly rewrite someone else's work. This circle-jerk of attribution is an overreaction to that--"I don't want to get caught acting as if I'm first when I'm not", a level of caution normally reserved for lawyers and similar species.

Moonlight is correct about ESPN. No matter the story, it's always "ESPN's [fill in the blank] reports that...", which, while technically true, falsely implies that the "reporter" in question broke the story.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Working...
          X