PDA

View Full Version : So, I quit drinking

Teenwolf
02-20-2011, 01:37 AM
As the title says, I quit drinking on Jan. 2nd. It's been VERY good for my finances, saving $300-$500 a month, I'm guessing. I was mainly a binge drinker, and started to average 15+ beers a night, around twice a week. Some weeks (music festivals) I'd drink 100 beers over the course of a week. I've quit for now, but I'm not saying I'll quit forever. Although if it gets easier as time goes on, I'm not sure why I'd start again.

Anyway, it feels weird to be out with friends NOT feeling messed up. So I've started dabbling in drugs a bit. I'll take a few tokes of pot if I'm heading out anywhere.

Last weekend I went out to a cabin on Texada island, which is a 10 hour trip from Vancouver, 3 ferry rides. About 40 people attended a music festival without electricity. 16 bands played, probably 4-5 of which were really awesome.

Anyway, the night of the big show I did some mushrooms, the 3rd time I've done them, and I absolutely loved it. The high that I get from them is so overwhelmingly positive. Especially being out on an island with such awesome people and musicians.

I bought some today (only the 2nd time I've bought drugs, the first time buying for myself). I just ate about 2 grams about an hour ago, and they're just kicking in now.

I'm not sure why I'm writing all of this. I guess I'm just saying that kicking a habit is hard, and sometimes we need a crutch. I do anyway. Man, what a good crutch to have though.

Do mushrooms have any negative health effects long-term? Anybody else enjoy these on a semi-regular basis?

I feel like my brain is operating right now the way that nullnor's brain operates 24/7.

Fresno Bob
02-20-2011, 01:42 AM
mushrooms are fun, I've found that THC-infused edibles is a similar, but more mellow, high...

Erik
02-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Good for you. $500 a month on booze? That's insane.

I can't discuss shrooms because I've never done them.

I suspect this is going to be RJ's permanent "I'm high" thread.

Teenwolf
02-20-2011, 02:03 AM
Good for you. $500 a month on booze? That's insane.

I can't discuss shrooms because I've never done them.

I suspect this is going to be RJ's permanent "I'm high" thread.

I just figure a typical 15 beer night is anywhere from $60-$100, and if I'm doing that twice a week, that's around $500/mth.

I tried cutting back on my beer drinking, buying a 6 pack to go out to a house show. It didn't work out very well, as I downed 4 at home, 2 on the walk to the show, and was calling my friend to buy more and bring it. I just can't hit the off switch with drinking.

Teenwolf
02-20-2011, 02:07 AM
mushrooms are fun, I've found that THC-infused edibles is a similar, but more mellow, high...

Yes, the body buzz is pretty incredible. Although the danger with that for me is going overboard. The only times I've done it, it's been way more than necessary. Cause, y'know, pot cookies still double as cookies.

Don Quixote
02-20-2011, 02:44 AM
"Back in the day", many of my pot-smoking friends gained a lot of weight. Watch out if you get the munchies too often. I haven't taken more than a few puffs of weed since President Reagan's first term, so I can't attribute my weight gain to that.

I can't comment on mushrooms, never having tried them. I figure I've had enough situations in which I'm kept in the dark and fed a lot of sh**.

nullnor
02-20-2011, 07:44 AM
i used to get stomach cramps whenever i did mushrooms. not that often. have to take tums or rolaids. mike tysons punchout is fun when your tripping.

Teenwolf
02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
i used to get stomach cramps whenever i did mushrooms. not that often. have to take tums or rolaids. mike tysons punchout is fun when your tripping.

I don't get that, but have heard that if you get your mushrooms from someone who freeze-dries them, it doesn't allow them to rot on the inside, which your stomach will appreciate. Something like that.

I'm still coming down right now, and could set up Mike Tyson's Punchout within 5 minutes. Maybe next weekend when I finish off the rest of them.

Hornsby
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
At the risk of coming off like Buzz Killington, I believe that you have an addiction problem. At this point, it sounds like you're simply switching one high for another...just take it slow and easy on the mushrooms, nobody really knows the long term effects and consequences of chronic use. And I'm a guy who's done everything short of heroin,,,and liked it all. The key, like everything in life, is moderation...take care of yourself.

Gregg
02-20-2011, 12:30 PM
At the risk of coming off like Buzz Killington, I believe that you have an addiction problem. At this point, it sounds like you're simply switching one high for another...just take it slow and easy on the mushrooms, nobody really knows the long term effects and consequences of chronic use. And I'm a guy who's done everything short of heroin,,,and liked it all. The key, like everything in life, is moderation...take care of yourself.

Agreed.

Drug addiction is not a good way to combat alcohol addiction.

I enjoyed the experience of getting high so much that I made sure I did it every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then I found out I could do it pretty much everyday. Now let me say each day had to have their own special combo. I mean it is not really smart to do mushrooms, MDA, or Acid on a work night. Alcohol or pot not that big of a deal. I had high tolerance and never missed work. The kind of high I liked and wanted eventually turned on me. I am blessed to say I am one of the 7% to come out of it. Recovery is not an easy road.

Wonderboy
02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
At the risk of coming off like Buzz Killington, I believe that you have an addiction problem. At this point, it sounds like you're simply switching one high for another..

Yeah, I have to agree.

I never drank much but it sure seems like every dumb decision I made was made when I had a few drinks in me. I still will drink an occasional beer at a game or a glass of wine with dinner, but I don't miss it at all.

Like is much better without alcohol or drugs, as preachy as that sounds. There are a lot of places you can go for help, and I hope you start thinking seriously about it.

Geoff Blum
02-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I quit drinking about three years ago. I love beer, though, and I enjoy getting together with friends in bars, so I now drink non-alcoholic. St. Pauli and Beck's both make good NA. Downside is it costs just as much as the real stuff.

Hornsby
02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
LOL, you guys are classic. Pretty sure it's impossible to be physically addicted to mushrooms, but hey I'm no doctor.

Have fun, dude. You're young. Mushrooms are pretty fun unless you have a weak psyche, imo. If you start getting too into your head when you're tripping, back out.

You guys and your fears.....mushrooms, Mexico..... :D

LMAO...at you Chris. Do you really think that it'd be a swell idea to do 'shrooms several times a week? Any idea WHY they do what they do to human perception? Any ideas at all what changes they may make to the brain with long term, chronic use? Like I already said, I've done everything short of Heroin, and like it all. But the key is to do it in moderation...and also in social situations. Doing heavy psychedelics like that alone is probably not the best idea in the world...

It's no fear, it's a legitimate concern for a guy who I like quite a bit. And you're right, you're no Doctor...

DMT
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
LMAO...at you Chris. Do you really think that it'd be a swell idea to do 'shrooms several times a week? Any idea WHY they do what they do to human perception? Any ideas at all what changes they may make to the brain with long term, chronic use? Like I already said, I've done everything short of Heroin, and like it all. But the key is to do it in moderation...and also in social situations. Doing heavy psychedelics like that alone is probably not the best idea in the world...

It's no fear, it's a legitimate concern for a guy who I like quite a bit. And you're right, you're no Doctor...

I would not recommend doing heavy psychedelics habitually, but mushrooms are not necessarily that heavy (actually I would consider them the 2nd lightest hallucinogen, after THC). And doing them alone I have no problem with. Usually there comes a time during a trip where I can no longer handle being around other people.

Hornsby, I'm curious why heroin is the one thing you haven't done? I too have pretty much done everything except those things I've never encountered (peyote, mescaline, pcp are the only 3 that I'm aware of) and heroin is one of the more pleasant highs I've experienced.

Teenwolf
02-20-2011, 03:42 PM

I do have limits with drug usage. I've done ecstacy a few times, and I'll never do it again, mostly because of the brutal depression hangover. I've never done coke, and never will. Same for other "hard" drugs. I've had LSD recommended to me, but don't think I'll ever try that either.

If mushrooms help me feel better about not drinking, and I'm only taking a gram or so once every couple of weeks, I think it's a good thing.

I'm just trying to say that I love a few aspects of not drinking. Extra money, less stupid decisions, better for my health, and more control over aspects of the night. I don't need to move to 3 different bars in a night, trying to hit last call at each of them. Friends were getting antsy last night at the house party saying "we should head to the bar before last call..." and it was really nice to not have to worry about that.

At the same time, being at a show or a house party and drinking orange juice, 100% clean/sober, is kind of tough.

Teenwolf
02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I would not recommend doing heavy psychedelics habitually, but mushrooms are not necessarily that heavy (actually I would consider them the 2nd lightest hallucinogen, after THC). And doing them alone I have no problem with. Usually there comes a time during a trip where I can no longer handle being around other people.

Hornsby, I'm curious why heroin is the one thing you haven't done? I too have pretty much done everything except those things I've never encountered (peyote, mescaline, pcp are the only 3 that I'm aware of) and heroin is one of the more pleasant highs I've experienced.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ah7ApyeyneY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gregg
02-20-2011, 04:13 PM

On the Heroin; shoot, smoke or snort? How many times? How many more would you consider?

I never messed with Heroin because way more experienced players than me couldn't handle it.

I did experience peyote, mesc, and pcp. Liked all of them. But then again I ended up with that not so little problem. For the addict it is all or none. For me the none is better.

If you talk to anyone who came to understand that they have a problem, they never truly see it coming until it is too late.
It is good to deal with addiction issues before there is no turning back.

DMT
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
On the Heroin; shoot, smoke or snort? How many times? How many more would you consider?

I never messed with Heroin because way more experienced players than me couldn't handle it.

2x, once smoked, once snorted. Not a big fan of needles. It was cool but I probably won't do it again. The likelihood of me coming across it is slim and I have no intention of searching for it.

I did experience peyote, mesc, and pcp. Liked all of them. But then again I ended up with that not so little problem. For the addict it is all or none. For me the none is better.

If you talk to anyone who came to understand that they have a problem, they never truly see it coming until it is too late. It is good to deal with addiction issues before there is no turning back.

Having had my fair share of problems with alcohol, as well as an extensive family history of substance abuse/dependence and mental illness, I'm quite fortunate that it never got so out of control that it destroyed my life. With a child now, my substance use has dropped dramatically and that is a good thing.

Hornsby
02-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Pretty much the same reasons that you and Gregg outlined. I'm not a big fan of needles, and simply can't imagine cooking up the stuff to inject. Give me the willies. To top it off, I have a very addictive personality, and while I've battled booze and cigarettes, I never wanted to try to take that heroin monkey on.

I do agree about needing to separate from people at some point during a trip...but I would always recommend that someone be close by just in case it all goes south. I've had a few of those and will always be indebted to the folks who helped me out.

Fresno Bob
02-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I do have limits with drug usage. I've done ecstacy a few times, and I'll never do it again, mostly because of the brutal depression hangover. I've never done coke, and never will. Same for other "hard" drugs. I've had LSD recommended to me, but don't think I'll ever try that either.

If mushrooms help me feel better about not drinking, and I'm only taking a gram or so once every couple of weeks, I think it's a good thing.

I'm just trying to say that I love a few aspects of not drinking. Extra money, less stupid decisions, better for my health, and more control over aspects of the night. I don't need to move to 3 different bars in a night, trying to hit last call at each of them. Friends were getting antsy last night at the house party saying "we should head to the bar before last call..." and it was really nice to not have to worry about that.

At the same time, being at a show or a house party and drinking orange juice, 100% clean/sober, is kind of tough.

hopefully this calms everyone down....personally, I wouldn't recommend mushrooms 2X in a week either.

Gregg
02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
hopefully this calms everyone down....personally, I wouldn't recommend mushrooms 2X in a week either.

Well it sure did for me....I was really worked up....man that was a close one... whew...

Now all kidding aside, why wouldn't you think that mushrooms a couple of times a week is a bad idea?

I know why I think it is a bad idea, just wondering your thoughts.

Gregg
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
LOL, you guys are classic. Pretty sure it's impossible to be physically addicted to mushrooms, but hey I'm no doctor.

Have fun, dude. You're young. Mushrooms are pretty fun unless you have a weak psyche, imo. If you start getting too into your head when you're tripping, back out.

You guys and your fears.....mushrooms, Mexico..... :D

Do you have any friends who are addicted to alcohol or drugs? If your answer is yes, do you think that it was their intention to ever let it get that far? Do you have any friends that you know have a problem, but they don't know it (or won't admit it)?

Fresno Bob
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Well it sure did for me....I was really worked up....man that was a close one... whew...

Now all kidding aside, why wouldn't you think that mushrooms a couple of times a week is a bad idea?

I know why I think it is a bad idea, just wondering your thoughts.

If you look at what Teenwolf wrote, he's talking about doing mushrooms once every couple of weeks, not multiple times per week, that's what I figured would calm things down....back in the day, I watched as my then future wife did LSD a couple of times a week. That was a mess, with slurred speech being the most obvious side effect.

Wonderboy
02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
He had a $7,000/per year drinking habit. He is struggling to kick that habit, in part, by using mushrooms. I'm not saying he's going to get addicted to mushrooms, but it baffles me that you don't at least see a possible issue here.

I'm legitimately asking here because I don't know the answer: Even if he can't get physically addicted to mushrooms, can he develop a psychological dependence on them? And even if he sparingly uses them as a crutch, could that hinder his kicking his drinking problem?

I don't know, but it doesn't seem like we are crying wolf here by asking those questions.

Gregg
02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
The next person who is addicted to mushrooms will be the first. I know you've had your own demons with addiction, but I think some of you are painting with too broad a brush.

Sure, I know lots of people with addiction issues, to answer your question. I'm assuming the other questions are rhetorical.

So then you know the point isn't the mushrooms. It is the "need" to get high. The problem with substituting say pot for alcohol is that eventually most come back to their drug of choice. So the real problem is never dealt with. This allows the person to remain in denial and continue down the path of addiction making recovery more and more less likely.

Just a side note that some may find interesting; In 1971 cocaine was considered non addicting.

Gregg
02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
He had a $7,000/per year drinking habit. He is struggling to kick that habit, in part, by using mushrooms. I'm not saying he's going to get addicted to mushrooms, but it baffles me that you don't at least see a possible issue here.

I'm legitimately asking here because I don't know the answer: Even if he can't get physically addicted to mushrooms, can he develop a psychological dependence on them? And even if he sparingly uses them as a crutch, could that hinder his kicking his drinking problem?

I don't know, but it doesn't seem like we are crying wolf here by asking those questions.

Yes you are correct. See the post I was typing while you were posting.

Then again what kind of advice should I expect to get if I walked into a bar and told the patrons I am thinking about quiting drinking?

Wonderboy
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes you are correct. See the post I was typing while you were posting.

Since you've been there, I think your input is invaluable.

Then again what kind of advice should I expect to get if I walked into a bar and told the patrons I am thinking about quiting drinking?

Or walked in to a grocery and told the produce guy you were thinking about quiting mushrooms!

heyelander
02-21-2011, 03:17 PM
i don't see where teenwolf was saying that he quit drinking because he was concerned he was becoming an alcoholic, or that it was messing up his life/relationships/health or anything... he said it was getting expensive, and he's voiced concerns before that it might be messing with his trying to lose weight (over in the weight thread). So he quit drinking and he's saving lots of cash. He misses the feeling of being high sometimes when he's out with friends though, so he's found a couple of cheaper substitutes for that, that he's doing much less often than the drinking he was doing.

I don't know if it's a great life decision or what not, but you all are arguing a point that was never made. he didn't quit drinking to end a dependence on it, he quit drinking to save money. If he said he missed the high and was making up for it by burning cash in his fireplace, then maybe we should all be saying "whoa, whoa, don't you see what you are doing?!?! You are substituting one waste of money for another," but that's not the case.

Comments to be careful of how much/often or how alone he tries his new drug of choice are probably useful.

Gregg
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
i don't see where teenwolf was saying that he quit drinking because he was concerned he was becoming an alcoholic, or that it was messing up his life/relationships/health or anything... he said it was getting expensive, and he's voiced concerns before that it might be messing with his trying to lose weight (over in the weight thread). So he quit drinking and he's saving lots of cash. He misses the feeling of being high sometimes when he's out with friends though, so he's found a couple of cheaper substitutes for that, that he's doing much less often than the drinking he was doing.

I don't know if it's a great life decision or what not, but you all are arguing a point that was never made. he didn't quit drinking to end a dependence on it, he quit drinking to save money. If he said he missed the high and was making up for it by burning cash in his fireplace, then maybe we should all be saying "whoa, whoa, don't you see what you are doing?!?! You are substituting one waste of money for another," but that's not the case.

Comments to be careful of how much/often or how alone he tries his new drug of choice are probably useful.

As posted by Teenwolf:

"I tried cutting back on my beer drinking, buying a 6 pack to go out to a house show. It didn't work out very well, as I downed 4 at home, 2 on the walk to the show, and was calling my friend to buy more and bring it. I just can't hit the off switch with drinking."

This is one of many signs that there might be a problem.

I do not know the man other than in here. It doesn't matter what I think about his drinking. It matters what he thinks. I can relate from my own story and literally thousands of stories over the last 25 years. I can speak to what I have experienced or what others have experienced. What one does the the information is up to them.

I have never met one person who thought they would become an addict, ever. We all thought we were above that and could handle it. Many of us were champions of consumption. We thought we were indestructable....we were wrong.

Wonderboy
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
As posted by Teenwolf:

"I tried cutting back on my beer drinking, buying a 6 pack to go out to a house show. It didn't work out very well, as I downed 4 at home, 2 on the walk to the show, and was calling my friend to buy more and bring it. I just can't hit the off switch with drinking."

This is one of many signs that there might be a problem.

And he was spending $6,000 a year on alcohol. If someone is spending over $100 a week on drinking, week in and week out, then it's reasonable to think that he may have a problem.

Maybe he can chime in, but it seems to me that he was indicating that there could be more than just weight or money issues involved with his decision to quit. I mean, he flat says he can't hit the off switch with regard to drinking. Now if that doesn't indicate a problem, I don't know what does.

nullnor
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
...this is really all i know:

1) acid lasts much longer than mushrooms. it's like a 9 hour trip as opposed to a 6 hour one.
-9 hours are enough to make you forget you took it, and you might start thinking it's something else. lol
- if your genetically predisposed to schizophrenia, depending on usage, either one may or may not bring it out later.

2) marijuana is much better than alcohol. at least as far as brain and organ damage. it takes pot 20 years to do the same brain damage 2 years of booze of daily usage for either one.
-pot aalso can bring out schizophrenia if predisposed to it.
-i also think marijuana inhibits growth in the amygdala of the brain.

3) cocain can be evil drug. but the most important thing is to know whether somone has the right enzyme to break it down to stop your heart from beating. most do, but some don't. Len Bias of the Celtics in 1986 for example.

Teenwolf
02-21-2011, 04:48 PM
And he was spending $6,000 a year on alcohol. If someone is spending over $100 a week on drinking, week in and week out, then it's reasonable to think that he may have a problem.

Maybe he can chime in, but it seems to me that he was indicating that there could be more than just weight or money issues involved with his decision to quit. I mean, he flat says he can't hit the off switch with regard to drinking. Now if that doesn't indicate a problem, I don't know what does.

Yeah, I did have a drinking problem, but it's not something that I was unaware of. I wanted to cut back on how much I drank when I went out, and found that I lack the self-control to do so. It's all relative. I have friends who top my 15 beer average when they go out. Or friends who drink every day, sometimes a few, sometimes a dozen. I had been talking about my excessive drinking for a while, and just decided to give an honest try at quitting.

The reasons are money, health (both weight loss/caloric intake and letting my liver repair itself), and feeling more in control of my life.

I have a few grams of mushrooms sitting 5 feet away from me right now, and no desire to take them right now. Also, when I do take them, I'm pretty conservative with them. I've never done more than 2 grams or so.

As much as I realized that I had a drinking problem that needed addressing, I also realize that I'm using small amounts of drugs as a crutch to deal with social situations. I don't see it as a problem right now, but I trust myself to be aware of it if it does become a problem.

bryanbutler
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
sorry i came late to the parade - not checking the forums as often as i should.

i can speak with quite a bit of personal experience on the topic, having used many of these substances quite heavily at times (though nothing but alcohol and a bit of pot since my first son was born almost 12 years ago now!). but the topic i wanted to address is the one that folks brought up about the danger of using shrooms to kick an alcohol addiction. there is actually a large body of literature dealing with how successful hallucinogens can be at that (although it is, admittedly, controversial). in the 1960's, before LSD became the demon that it did, it was researched heavily for just that use. i can dig out specific references if folks are interested, but the classic is Hoffer & Osmond 1967 (and, yes, i know Hoffer's history). i looked into the whole broad topic when i was using hallucinogens pretty regularly (and by that i mean every 2 to 4 weeks or so; a mix of LSD, shrooms, and peyote) in grad school. there are similar current studies, but they don't use hallucinogens, but rather more targeted drugs (like olanzapine and its family). so one should avoid a knee-jerk reaction that using drugs (or particularly hallucinogens) while stopping alchohol consumption is bad, IMHO...