So, I quit drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I quit drinking

As the title says, I quit drinking on Jan. 2nd. It's been VERY good for my finances, saving $300-$500 a month, I'm guessing. I was mainly a binge drinker, and started to average 15+ beers a night, around twice a week. Some weeks (music festivals) I'd drink 100 beers over the course of a week. I've quit for now, but I'm not saying I'll quit forever. Although if it gets easier as time goes on, I'm not sure why I'd start again.

Anyway, it feels weird to be out with friends NOT feeling messed up. So I've started dabbling in drugs a bit. I'll take a few tokes of pot if I'm heading out anywhere.

Last weekend I went out to a cabin on Texada island, which is a 10 hour trip from Vancouver, 3 ferry rides. About 40 people attended a music festival without electricity. 16 bands played, probably 4-5 of which were really awesome.

Anyway, the night of the big show I did some mushrooms, the 3rd time I've done them, and I absolutely loved it. The high that I get from them is so overwhelmingly positive. Especially being out on an island with such awesome people and musicians.

I bought some today (only the 2nd time I've bought drugs, the first time buying for myself). I just ate about 2 grams about an hour ago, and they're just kicking in now.

I'm not sure why I'm writing all of this. I guess I'm just saying that kicking a habit is hard, and sometimes we need a crutch. I do anyway. Man, what a good crutch to have though.

Do mushrooms have any negative health effects long-term? Anybody else enjoy these on a semi-regular basis?

I feel like my brain is operating right now the way that nullnor's brain operates 24/7.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

mushrooms are fun, I've found that THC-infused edibles is a similar, but more mellow, high...
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Good for you. $500 a month on booze? That's insane.

I can't discuss shrooms because I've never done them.

I suspect this is going to be RJ's permanent "I'm high" thread.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Good for you. $500 a month on booze? That's insane.

I can't discuss shrooms because I've never done them.

I suspect this is going to be RJ's permanent "I'm high" thread.
        I just figure a typical 15 beer night is anywhere from $60-$100, and if I'm doing that twice a week, that's around $500/mth.

I tried cutting back on my beer drinking, buying a 6 pack to go out to a house show. It didn't work out very well, as I downed 4 at home, 2 on the walk to the show, and was calling my friend to buy more and bring it. I just can't hit the off switch with drinking.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          mushrooms are fun, I've found that THC-infused edibles is a similar, but more mellow, high...
          Yes, the body buzz is pretty incredible. Although the danger with that for me is going overboard. The only times I've done it, it's been way more than necessary. Cause, y'know, pot cookies still double as cookies.

Comment

"Back in the day", many of my pot-smoking friends gained a lot of weight. Watch out if you get the munchies too often. I haven't taken more than a few puffs of weed since President Reagan's first term, so I can't attribute my weight gain to that.

I can't comment on mushrooms, never having tried them. I figure I've had enough situations in which I'm kept in the dark and fed a lot of sh**.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

i used to get stomach cramps whenever i did mushrooms. not that often. have to take tums or rolaids. mike tysons punchout is fun when your tripping.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                i used to get stomach cramps whenever i did mushrooms. not that often. have to take tums or rolaids. mike tysons punchout is fun when your tripping.
                I don't get that, but have heard that if you get your mushrooms from someone who freeze-dries them, it doesn't allow them to rot on the inside, which your stomach will appreciate. Something like that.

I'm still coming down right now, and could set up Mike Tyson's Punchout within 5 minutes. Maybe next weekend when I finish off the rest of them.

Comment

At the risk of coming off like Buzz Killington, I believe that you have an addiction problem. At this point, it sounds like you're simply switching one high for another...just take it slow and easy on the mushrooms, nobody really knows the long term effects and consequences of chronic use. And I'm a guy who's done everything short of heroin,,,and liked it all. The key, like everything in life, is moderation...take care of yourself.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    At the risk of coming off like Buzz Killington, I believe that you have an addiction problem. At this point, it sounds like you're simply switching one high for another...just take it slow and easy on the mushrooms, nobody really knows the long term effects and consequences of chronic use. And I'm a guy who's done everything short of heroin,,,and liked it all. The key, like everything in life, is moderation...take care of yourself.
                    Agreed.

Drug addiction is not a good way to combat alcohol addiction.

I enjoyed the experience of getting high so much that I made sure I did it every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then I found out I could do it pretty much everyday. Now let me say each day had to have their own special combo. I mean it is not really smart to do mushrooms, MDA, or Acid on a work night. Alcohol or pot not that big of a deal. I had high tolerance and never missed work. The kind of high I liked and wanted eventually turned on me. I am blessed to say I am one of the 7% to come out of it. Recovery is not an easy road.

Comment

At the risk of coming off like Buzz Killington, I believe that you have an addiction problem. At this point, it sounds like you're simply switching one high for another..
                      Yeah, I have to agree.

I never drank much but it sure seems like every dumb decision I made was made when I had a few drinks in me. I still will drink an occasional beer at a game or a glass of wine with dinner, but I don't miss it at all.

Like is much better without alcohol or drugs, as preachy as that sounds. There are a lot of places you can go for help, and I hope you start thinking seriously about it.
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I quit drinking about three years ago. I love beer, though, and I enjoy getting together with friends in bars, so I now drink non-alcoholic. St. Pauli and Beck's both make good NA. Downside is it costs just as much as the real stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          LOL, you guys are classic. Pretty sure it's impossible to be physically addicted to mushrooms, but hey I'm no doctor.

Have fun, dude. You're young. Mushrooms are pretty fun unless you have a weak psyche, imo. If you start getting too into your head when you're tripping, back out.

You guys and your fears.....mushrooms, Mexico.....
                          LMAO...at you Chris. Do you really think that it'd be a swell idea to do 'shrooms several times a week? Any idea WHY they do what they do to human perception? Any ideas at all what changes they may make to the brain with long term, chronic use? Like I already said, I've done everything short of Heroin, and like it all. But the key is to do it in moderation...and also in social situations. Doing heavy psychedelics like that alone is probably not the best idea in the world...

It's no fear, it's a legitimate concern for a guy who I like quite a bit. And you're right, you're no Doctor...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

LMAO...at you Chris. Do you really think that it'd be a swell idea to do 'shrooms several times a week? Any idea WHY they do what they do to human perception? Any ideas at all what changes they may make to the brain with long term, chronic use? Like I already said, I've done everything short of Heroin, and like it all. But the key is to do it in moderation...and also in social situations. Doing heavy psychedelics like that alone is probably not the best idea in the world...

It's no fear, it's a legitimate concern for a guy who I like quite a bit. And you're right, you're no Doctor...
                            I would not recommend doing heavy psychedelics habitually, but mushrooms are not necessarily that heavy (actually I would consider them the 2nd lightest hallucinogen, after THC). And doing them alone I have no problem with. Usually there comes a time during a trip where I can no longer handle being around other people.

Hornsby, I'm curious why heroin is the one thing you haven't done? I too have pretty much done everything except those things I've never encountered (peyote, mescaline, pcp are the only 3 that I'm aware of) and heroin is one of the more pleasant highs I've experienced.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I do have limits with drug usage. I've done ecstacy a few times, and I'll never do it again, mostly because of the brutal depression hangover. I've never done coke, and never will. Same for other "hard" drugs. I've had LSD recommended to me, but don't think I'll ever try that either.

If mushrooms help me feel better about not drinking, and I'm only taking a gram or so once every couple of weeks, I think it's a good thing.

I'm just trying to say that I love a few aspects of not drinking. Extra money, less stupid decisions, better for my health, and more control over aspects of the night. I don't need to move to 3 different bars in a night, trying to hit last call at each of them. Friends were getting antsy last night at the house party saying "we should head to the bar before last call..." and it was really nice to not have to worry about that.

At the same time, being at a show or a house party and drinking orange juice, 100% clean/sober, is kind of tough.

Comment

Working...
                              X