Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 666--The Anti-Christ Returns!

He's baaaaaaaaaccckk. From Rotoworld--

"Rangers signed RHP Brett Tomko to a minor league contract.
    Tomko, who will turn 38 in April, was limited to 62 2/3 minor league innings last season while dealing with a nerve problem in his pitching arm, and he posted an ugly 7.18 ERA when he was able to take the hill. He offers nothing more than veteran insurance at Triple-A."
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

In my main league, a pitcher who turns in an exceptionally bad start (e.g. 7 or more ER in less than 2 IP) is said to have been "Tomkoed." This in honor of a week where he got two starts and was exceptionally bad in both of them, ultimately costing his owner, who mysteriously had him active at the time, the 2004 title.

This is now used interchangeably with "Wanged," after Chien-Ming's dreadful start to the 2009 season. His victim that year? Same guy.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

knew this had to be Tomko....
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        In my main league, a pitcher who turns in an exceptionally bad start (e.g. 7 or more ER in less than 2 IP) is said to have been "Tomkoed." This in honor of a week where he got two starts and was exceptionally bad in both of them, ultimately costing his owner, who mysteriously had him active at the time, the 2004 title.

This is now used interchangeably with "Wanged," after Chien-Ming's dreadful start to the 2009 season. His victim that year? Same guy.
        Some of my friends from a now-defunct local league call it "Flashed", for a Tom Gordon start back in his Royals days. I believe it was the last day of the season or close to it, and he went one inning with 10 ER, I think vs. Boston. It was the final nail in the coffin of the guy who'd led the league for about 2/3 of the season.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

And Tomko progresses:

The Beast rises in Arizona!
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Are they thnking seriously about using him to close games? I know Gagne was a .500 SP before he turned into Godzilla of the 9th. Still, this is out there.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Reds signed RHP Brett Tomko to a minor league contract.
              It's not clear if the deal includes a spring training invite. Tomko, who turns 39 in April, posted a 4.58 ERA and 14/10 K/BB ratio over 17 2/3 innings with the Rangers last season, but spent most of the year at the Triple-A level. Of course, Tomko was originally drafted by the Reds in 1995 and spent the first three years of his major league career with the club. Source: Ben Nicholson-Smith on Twitter Feb. 16 - 7:59 pm et

Brett "Crickets" Tomko just won't quit!
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Every team needs a "white flag"/17th inning pitcher. Tomko may get the job instead of the Reds having to rely on Janish to fill the role.

-- William James

Comment

My leaguemates have been duly informed.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                  X