Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three Cheers for Magnolia Junior High School!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Cheers for Magnolia Junior High School!!

Well, it's after 2:00 a.m. on the East Coast, so I am taking a few minutes to brag on my son and daughter.

The Quiz Bowl Team from Magnolia Junior High School competed in the State Tournament today, and brought home the First Place trophy. The actual trophy bracket was this afternoon, and the games were amazingly close.

In the quarterfinals, the match went into overtime...three questions, whichever team gets two of them wins the match. My son buzzed in and answered the first two correctly, so that was it, and we headed toward the semifinal. It was a squeaker also, with us winning 270-265. In the finals, they went against the number one seed, undefeated in the tourney, including all the preliminary rounds. It was a nail biter to the very finish...Magnolia won on the last question...another five point game.

We were so proud of them. The four starters include my son Robert and his buddy Mahadi. Robert usually does the heavy lifting, but today it was Mahadi's turn to shine. He was named the State Tourney MVP. I thought it was especially sweet since they didn't have very many Muslim kids in the tourney.

Oh well, bragging over. I just think it's a good thing the school spends a little time, money and energy on something besides football and basketball, and meet with some success.

And by the way, my daughter the English teacher was one of the two coaches for the team. The Junior High had not been in the State Tourney in ages, so it was considered a huge upset.

So, thanks for reading while a proud papa brags.

Great news. Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats - love Quiz Bowl!

Comment

Wow...that's great! Congrats to your whole family.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Great job by the little Luckys.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

That's awesome!
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Excellent!

I was in quiz bowl in high school; it was a lot of fun. I wish I still knew half the stuff about history and geography that I knew back then.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Nice to hear great news!

Thank you for sharing it. Congrats.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

There are some challenges to raising a son 40 years younger than I am, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Comment

Quiz bowl is cool, congrats to your family
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Congrats!

I have just started raising a son 40 years younger than me, so don't be surprised if I ask you for pointers over the next 18-21 years.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Congrats to the youngsters!! Like you mentioned, it's great to see a high school team succeed in the educational arena.

I'm also raising a child (daughter) 40 years younger than me. The biggest challenge is my energy level!!
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I guess we're all old fogies around here now? Apparently I'm a spring chicken since my youngest are only 36.5 years younger than me.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

heh - my youngest is 37 years younger than me as well ...

congrats, lucky!
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                              X