Bill James writing about non-baseball stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill James writing about non-baseball stuff

If you're looking for something to take your mind off fantasy baseball for a bit, Bill James' book "Popular Crime" is very good. It's a history of crime in the United States since the 18th century, focusing on cases that got a lot of public attention, and whether they were handled properly and what changes they caused in the country.

It is the Bill Jamesiest book it could possibly be. If you've ever wanted to see his kind of witty, math-geeky analysis of something other than baseball, this is it. I'm about halfway through and he's already invented three or four different scoring systems to describe why a case is interesting and whether someone is guilty etc. There's a section where he's talking about a case and he says something like "Some people aren't sure if this guy is guilty. On a scale where 100 means he should be found guilty, I think this case is worth 213 points, and here's why."

It's coming out in paperback in two months if you don't need it quite yet.

Popular Crime on Amazon

- Mike
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I am so in.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

A friend (young kid about 25) brought me this book as a get-well gift while I was in the hospital after surgery. I started it, but set it aside after I got home. It's on the coffee table, staring up at me, so I guess I need to finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        A friend (young kid about 25) brought me this book as a get-well gift while I was in the hospital after surgery. I started it, but set it aside after I got home. It's on the coffee table, staring up at me, so I guess I need to finish it.
        Now that's a ringing endorsement!
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Now that's a ringing endorsement!
          Yeah, kind of let the air out of the old baloon. Now I may have to wait for the paper back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Yeah, kind of let the air out of the old baloon. Now I may have to wait for the paper back.
            Didn't mean to leave a negative impression. What I read was great, I just had too much to deal with after I got home to read a book. I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Comment

It is on its way to me, thanks to the SF Public Library!
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Hopefully his crime writing is better than his recent baseball writing.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Hopefully his crime writing is better than his recent baseball writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    It is on its way to me, thanks to the SF Public Library!
                    They better have some extra copies, I don't want to return mine yet!

Maybe I should have waited until I was done with the book to post this, I could have left you a note tucked in there.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

Maybe I should have waited until I was done with the book to post this, I could have left you a note tucked in there.
                      CASHIER: I'm sorry, we can't take this book back.
                      GEORGE: Why not?
                      CASHIER: It's been flagged.
                      GEORGE: (Confused) Flagged?
                      CASHIER: It's been in the bathroom.
                      GEORGE: It says that on the computer?
                      CASHIER: Please take it home. We don't want it near the other books.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

Actually, theres like 8 copies in the system
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                        X