Back on the Campaign Trail...Darn it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on the Campaign Trail...Darn it!

Just learned that I will have an opponent in the upcoming election, which will be in May. I was opposed the first time I ran in 2004, but my race was uncontested in 2008.

This was a surprise. Now, instead of life as usual, I've got to go into full campaign mode. This is the part I really dislike about the job...raising money, going to all the events, etc. In Arkansas, politics are retail, even in statewide politics, which means I'll be out there pressing the flesh non-stop.

As a judge, you make people unhappy from time to time. Apparently, I made some folks mad enough to put up a candidate.

It's far too early to figure out whether I'll still be a Judge when 2013 rolls around, but I can't figure out what I would do if I lost the election. Being a judge is what I've done for the past 7+ years...that kind of experience doesn't really lend itself to other jobs.

Oh, well.

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Just learned that I will have an opponent in the upcoming election, which will be in May. I was opposed the first time I ran in 2004, but my race was uncontested in 2008.

This was a surprise. Now, instead of life as usual, I've got to go into full campaign mode. This is the part I really dislike about the job...raising money, going to all the events, etc. In Arkansas, politics are retail, even in statewide politics, which means I'll be out there pressing the flesh.

As a judge, you make people unhappy from time to time. Apparently, I made some folks mad enough to put up a candidate.

It's far too early to figure out whether I'll still be a Judge when 2013 rolls around, but I can't figure out what I would do if I lost the election. Being a judge is what I've done for the past 7+ years...that kind of experience doesn't really lend itself to other jobs.

Oh, well.
    RJ should start you a super PAC. What's your opponents name? I'm sure we could dig up some dirt. :-)

Comment

We should show up with the lesbian horde! That would help, right?
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post

This was a surprise. Now, instead of life as usual, I've got to go into full campaign mode. This is the part I really dislike about the job...raising money, going to all the events, etc. In Arkansas, politics are retail, even in statewide politics, which means I'll be out there pressing the flesh non-stop.

Oh, well.
        I am sure you will win.

What did you do before you were a Judge?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          We should show up with the lesbian horde! That would help, right?

Comment

I was an attorney for 23 years before being elected judge. Part of that time was spent is purely private practice. Part was as a City Attorney, part as a County Attorney.

For the ten (10) years prior to becoming the District Court Judge, I was the State's prosecutor in that same Court. That's one reason I was so familiar with the court and its operations.

I appreciate your vote of confidence. What worries me, though, is the fact that a Court Clerk and two Deputy Clerks are counting upon me to be re-elected in order to keep their jobs. If I lose I will try to get the new guy to keep the existing staff, but as a general rule judges like to bring in their own people. I think that would be a mistake, since my clerks are very sharp and amazingly dedicated, but you never know.

Comment

I have to say, I was never much of a fan of electing judges in this manner. I'd like my judges' minds on the jobs all the time, not on electioneering and other debase activities. The very notion of "winning favor" among voters in order to become a judge seems absurd to me.

Comment

I would vote for you.

#onejudgetoanother
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  I have to say, I was never much of a fan of electing judges in this manner. I'd like my judges' minds on the jobs all the time, not on electioneering and other debase activities. The very notion of "winning favor" among voters in order to become a judge seems absurd to me.
                  I agree, but the process did get better just before I got involved. A change for the 2004 elections was that all judicial races became "non-partisan". A candidate cannot list a party affiliation or align himself in any way with a political party. Second, the candidate is completely removed from campaign finance. A candidate cannot personally solicit or accept contributions. A candidate must have a finance person to handle all financial manners, including reporting to the state. The candidate never gets to know who contributed to the campaign and who did not. The third thing is that candidates are very limited in what they can talk about while campaigning. Essentially, you are limited to qualifications, experience and character. A candidate may not suggest how he/she would rule in a given case or under certain circumstances. A candidate cannot even do things like say "I'll be much tougher on DWI offenders." The reason is that a judge is supposed to be fair and impartial, regardless of the type of cases brought before him/her.

It's still politics, and I don't like it for that reason, but it's nowhere as political as it was pre-2004.

Of course, the candidate cannot control what other people say about his opponent. That's what I am dreading. Anyone I've put in jail over the past eight years can whip off a letter to the editor calling me a lousy crook, and there's nothing I can do about it. There are also some politicians who have a grudge against me, mostly because I effectively ended the "good old boy" system when I took office. Some of those good old boys are lining up to get their licks in.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    I would vote for you.

#onejudgetoanother
                    I hope that is true, and even if it is not I still appreciate the sentiment.

Comment

All the best Lucky.

But even if you lost you could go back to private practice..hang a shingle out front..sip lemonade on the rocker..handle a few cases here and there..relax!!

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I don't necessarily see running for election as a bad thing. While I'm sure that you are truly impartial and fair, there are those who are neither. Having to run for election makes a "public servant" actually accountable for his/her actions. If the position was by appointment, as Federal judgships are, I suspect that there would be end up being little more than feudal lordships, players in place for life, ruling as they pleased. I've seen enough of that on a small scale in a large metro area, I would imaging that it could be as bad, or worse, in smaller jurisdiction.

Buck up Judge, you present as a likable guy, and a fair man. That should get you back in office no matter who the opposition throws at you... incumbency is a powerful weapon.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks. When I first ran, the office was open, so neither candidate had the advantage of incumbency. I was worried that my ten years as a prosecuting attorney might work against me, but it didn't seem to do so.

I hope the incumbency this time will at least counteract the people I have rubbed the wrong way.

Comment

Good luck!

I'm not sure which is more unseemly, electing judges or appointing them. There's no easy way to go about it. The rules Arkansas has put in place are a pretty good way to make it less unseemly.

Do the state or county Bar Associations make endorsements?
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Good luck!

I'm not sure which is more unseemly, electing judges or appointing them. There's no easy way to go about it. The rules Arkansas has put in place are a pretty good way to make it less unseemly.

Do the state or county Bar Associations make endorsements?
                              No, unfortunately. I think that would help me here.

Comment

Working...
                              X