• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linsanity

Are you serious??? LoL Wow unk:

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
    Are you serious??? LoL Wow unk:
    As good a story as he is, he'll come back to earth...he's a turnover machine, and eventually that'll end up being trouble.

I kind of see a Mark Fydrich kind of thing...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      As good a story as he is, he'll come back to earth...he's a turnover machine, and eventually that'll end up being trouble.

I kind of see a Mark Fydrich kind of thing...
      How much of his turnover-ness is just the fact that the Knicks don't have any other options right now? Do you think he can settle down?

I agree with you that he's isn't really this good. I don't necessarily think he's a PG - more of a combo guard - and he can't defend for crap. But he can shoot and he can get it to the hole, and he CAN pass, which is a good thing to have on a team with ball stoppers like Amare and Melo.

Comment

Yes, he's precisely what the team needed. Will he continue to thrive once Melo and Amare are both healthy? Will he keep his minutes when Baron Davis returns? I enjoy Lin a lot, and unlike JC I think he can do his thing as a pure PG once the team's stronger scoring options return. His ability to penetrate and either score or pass, as well as knock down an open jumper, is exactly what you want your PG to be able to do offensively. The real question for me is Melo. Will he allow the ball to keep moving on the offensive end? And how often should he, given his unparalleled offensive repertoire in isolation? And how long can the Knicks effectively cover for Lin's defensive liabilities? What most impresses me, though, are those post-game interviews. He just says everything you'd ever want your PG to be saying to keep all of his teammates happy and involved and buying in.

Comment

I guess that I still can't quite believe that he's good enough to be a regular starter in the NBA. Every team in the league passed on drafting him, he was cut by 2 teams, and his current coach had no idea what kind of player he was/is until he had no one else to turn to. It's strikes me as very improbable that so many people missed on him, it just happens so rarely in basketball.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I guess that I still can't quite believe that he's good enough to be a regular starter in the NBA. Every team in the league passed on drafting him, he was cut by 2 teams, and his current coach had no idea what kind of player he was/is until he had no one else to turn to. It's strikes me as very improbable that so many people missed on him, it just happens so rarely in basketball.
            Maybe it was a sort of bias mixed with a lack of opportunity. He was never going to get played on the Warriors because there were guards in front of him that the coaching staff liked better. I also saw him play a couple of garbage minutes at Oracle and he would miss badly and was all effort. With the Rockets, well there was Brooks and now Lowry.

He finally got the opportunity with the Knicks and Dantoni who's on the hot seat said, **** it, what do I have to lose?"

Oh and he was not only passed on by NBA coaches, he was passed on by colleges as well. He wanted to go to UCLA, but we had Collison and Westbrook so we offered him a chance to walk-on. He won a state title in Stanford's backyard and he didn't give him a sniff. That's how he ended up at Harvard.

I had a girlfriend at Harvard at the time who was friend's with Lin's girlfriend, so I followed his career somewhat and I always liked what he did against the Big East. He was a near triple-double since there was no one else on that Harvard team. After seeing those lines I always thought he would be okay in the NBA.

I'm not even a big Lin fan and I think a lot of the hype is the novelty of it all. But I think he's legit. He's basketball IQ is excellent, (I credit all of those Wooden tapes his dad made him *UCLA plug*), he's just athletic enough for the NBA, and most importantly he's got that rice paddy picking Asian mentality. That is to say that if you aren't naturally talented, just work on it long enough and you'll achieve a breakthrough. Just my two cents.
            Last edited by JudeBaldo; 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

This is the funniest one I saw.

Comment

How can anyone not see him as a starter? He is doing things rarely if ever seen in the NBA. Will he regress? to some extent sure but obviously the kid has ability or he would never have been able to do what he has thus far.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                  This is the funniest one I saw.
                  Is that sulu of star trek fame?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                    No its the "High Expectations Asian Father" meme.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      How can anyone not see him as a starter? He is doing things rarely if ever seen in the NBA. Will he regress? to some extent sure but obviously the kid has ability or he would never have been able to do what he has thus far.
                      Because it's only been six games, and because the only thing "rarely seen in the NBA" about his statistical production (or his skill set) over those six games is that it's his first six games with heavy minutes, no one expected it...and that he's an Asian kid from Harvard. That doesn't mean that he can't build on this and convince everyone that he's capable of being a long-term NBA starter, but right now we've got too small a sample size to anoint him.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                        I thought it was US Secretary of Energy Steven Chu.

Comment

once melo gets back, this guy will never touch the ball again. lol
                          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                            once melo gets back, this guy will never touch the ball again. lol
                            Right, cause Melo is the point guard. He won't get as many shooting opportunities but he'll still be instrumental in the offense. Someone needs to pass the ball to Staudemire and you know Melo won't pass.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              Because it's only been six games, and because the only thing "rarely seen in the NBA" about his statistical production (or his skill set) over those six games is that it's his first six games with heavy minutes, no one expected it...and that he's an Asian kid from Harvard. That doesn't mean that he can't build on this and convince everyone that he's capable of being a long-term NBA starter, but right now we've got too small a sample size to anoint him.
                              Youre kidding right? In 6 games, he has accomplished more than many of the greats who have ever played this game. That can never be taken away from him. Some seem to down play it because 'its only 6 games'. So what? Its amazing what he has down, especially where he has come from. I realize past performance doesnt ensure future success but it also makes the past performances facts. He has done it. Many others havent.
                              It doesnt matter that its been six games. The kid can play. Can he score 25 per? Can he drop 8 dimes per? Time will tell but this isnt luck. Sure he may wear down and yes he set the bar extremely high not to expect regression but from what I have seen, theres no reason to think he cant continue to be a productive contributer at the very least.
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                              X