Draft or Wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft or Wedding?

Our draft is scheduled for March 31. I consider it the best day of the year. We go out Friday evening (this year western, PA), have a good night, draft Saturday, go out Saturday night and watch the NCAA tourney and talk baseball. Head home Sunday morning.

So, my wife and I got invited to my cousin's wedding, also that day. It doesn't start until 3:30, so I could participate in the auction via phone. The wedding/reception is in NYC at a posh country club. My other cousin's wedding (her older sister) was a spectacular affair, that I also missed for a baseball draft.

I like my cousin, aunt/uncle fine. It's not like I wouldn't want to go and I'm looking for an out. But, we only see each other once every couple of years, so it's not like I'd be missed. Any other weekend, I'd be there.

I told my wife that I was 80/20 going to go to the draft. She replied, "Does hot hotel/wedding sex change your odds?" And, yes it does. Fellow 40-year olds with 3 kids will know what I mean. (She's going to the wedding with or without me and really doesn't care much which way I decide, although she'd prefer that I go.)

So, my question to my fellow baseball-loving junkies. Would you go to the draft or the wedding?

Have fun at the wedding.

She cares, oh she cares alot!

Comment

If this was the first time, I'd say the wedding is the obvious choice but you've already made the opposite choice before, so what is the difference this time? Sex with your wife? And you've already established precedence among their family by not going to her sister's wedding so I don't think they probably care too much whether you go or not. Honestly, I think it was a dick move but I don't know your family.

If you're comfortable with your wife attending your cousin's wedding without you, then have fun at the draft. But, the fact that you can do the draft and attend the wedding makes this a no-brainer IMO.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Dude, I think you gotta go to the wedding. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
          I told my wife that I was 80/20 going to go to the draft. She replied, "Does hot hotel/wedding sex change your odds?" And, yes it does. Fellow 40-year olds with 3 kids will know what I mean.
          And you're asking us what again? Oh, sorry, got distracted. My answer to my wife with virtually no hesitation would have been "So, what are you going to wear?"
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            If this was the first time, I'd say the wedding is the obvious choice but you've already made the opposite choice before, so what is the difference this time?
            In my defense, I had already paid $500+ for a plane ticket that year as our draft was in Vegas.

Comment

In my defense, I had already paid $500+ for a plane ticket that year as our draft was in Vegas.
              Well that's understandable then, but no excuse this time gotta suck it up.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I would hate to cause any internal strife within your cousin's family. Having skipped the first cousin's you HAVE to skip the second cousin's or risk showing favoritism that may hurt feelings. < /rationalization >
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Before this happens again, tell your cousins that late March/early April is a TERRIBLE time to schedule a wedding.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Sounds like a good time to prove that men can multi-task

Comment

Ask your wife if you can order this for your wedding present:

Have fun at the wedding!
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Have fun at the wedding.

She cares, oh she cares alot!
                        This.

Comment

I told my wife that I was 80/20 going to go to the draft. She replied, "Does hot hotel/wedding sex change your odds?" And, yes it does. Fellow 40-year olds with 3 kids will know what I mean. (She's going to the wedding with or without me and really doesn't care much which way I decide, although she'd prefer that I go.)
                          so has she picked out a groomsman yet, because it sounds like she's going to have hot hotel/wedding sex with someone....

and no, it's not me, I've got my daughters birthday on the 31st and my NL-only draft on the 1st. Important safety tip gentlemen, only sleep with your fellow owners wives in september, not your own. I have to do this birthday/draft dance every year now.
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

As usual i have the opposite opinion of most

Go to the draft. You said it's the best day of the year for you. Why do people always have to deprive themselves of something they absolutely love just to please someone else? If your wife knows how much you love the draft weekend she should have no problem with you going. No one should. I'm sure you sacrifice a lot all year long for everyone else.

But if you are a selfish pig who always does what he wants, then I withdraw my opinion
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              As usual i have the opposite opinion of most

Go to the draft. You said it's the best day of the year for you. Why do people always have to deprive themselves of something they absolutely love just to please someone else? If your wife knows how much you love the draft weekend she should have no problem with you going. No one should. I'm sure you sacrifice a lot all year long for everyone else.

But if you are a selfish pig who always does what he wants, then I withdraw my opinion
                              I might agree if it were his wife's cousin, but it's his own cousin, and his own aunt and uncle, who have requested his presence at this family celebration. I don't see how one blows that off just to attend a fantasy baseball draft in person rather than via phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X