Human behavior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human behavior...

This is in reference to the thread about Josh Hamilton possibly relapsing.

I find human behavior so very interesting. It's nice that we hope for the best for others, but...why do any of you really care what happens to Josh Hamilton, unless someone personally knows him?

It doesn't matter to me if he relapses as i don't know the guy. I want everyone to be happy and enjoy life, but know that's not reality, so i don't feel the need to post publicly about someone i don't know.

I'm not chastising, condemning, etc, anyone who does this, just fascinates me why people do this this.

Is it a reflex thing to wish people the best? Does bring a type of "feel-good" feeling to wish someone the best?

Like when someone "famous" you don't know dies, do you shed a tear or feel unhappy? I don't. I am a very emotional person, but just can't understand how people connect to someone they never met.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

When someone else has persevered through dire circumstances -survived cancer, battled drug/alcohol addiction, overcome handicaps- it helps us give us hope to know that, perhaps, we too can overcome our obstacles, whatever they may be. When someone like that falters, it reminds us of our own fallibility.

We are all human, and all connected by similar experiences, and when anyone else survives something that I am afraid might kill me, I am emboldened by their success.

Now, I'm not chastising, condemning, etc, anyone who doesn't feel this way, but those that don't I think are defined as sociopaths.

Comment

Zing!
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
        Now, I'm not chastising, condemning, etc, anyone who doesn't feel this way, but those that don't I think are defined as sociopaths.
        LOL. That said, my own emotional tendencies line up more with Mith. The trials and tribulations of celebrities don't tend to move me all that much. I'm much more easily moved by trials and tribulations in the lives of "regular folks", even if I'm only hearing about a friend of a friend of a friend, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          LOL. That said, my own emotional tendencies line up more with Mith. The trials and tribulations of celebrities don't tend to move me all that much. I'm much more easily moved by trials and tribulations in the lives of "regular folks", even if I'm only hearing about a friend of a friend of a friend, or something.
          I agree. I am considerably more moved by my friends who have battled addiction than any famous person, but I think the simple reason we elevate their accomplishments is because we SEE them. Their fame puts them in a place where we can see their tribulations, and thus, respect them.

Comment

When someone else has persevered through dire circumstances -survived cancer, battled drug/alcohol addiction, overcome handicaps- it helps us give us hope to know that, perhaps, we too can overcome our obstacles, whatever they may be. When someone like that falters, it reminds us of our own fallibility.

We are all human, and all connected by similar experiences, and when anyone else survives something that I am afraid might kill me, I am emboldened by their success.

, not even close to my personality

so·ci·o·path   [soh-see-uh-path, soh-shee-] Show IPA
            noun Psychiatry .
            a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I agree. I am considerably more moved by my friends who have battled addiction than any famous person, but I think the simple reason we elevate their accomplishments is because we SEE them. Their fame puts them in a place where we can see their tribulations, and thus, respect them.
              That is my point.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Have fun torturing small animals, Mith.
                Dude i get worked up when i hit an opposum on the road.

Not surprising you have reached for this statement based on what i posted...I mean its not like posters here make comments that have no basis in reality in relation to my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Easy, fella. I was just joking. I don't think you're a sociopath. Maybe slightly deranged, but not a sociopath.
                  well geez...put the smiley face

Comment

The American public, for some reason, identifies strongly with an individual or group who are in peril or have suffered some calamity, provided there is adequate press coverage. Remember Baby Jessica?

I for one wish we had similar empathy for those large portions of our population who suffer absent fanfare.
                    Last edited by ; 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      The American public, for some reason, identifies strongly with an individual or group who are in peril or have suffered some calamity, provided there is adequate press coverage. Remember Baby Jessica?

I for one wish we had similar empathy for those large portions of our population who suffer absent fanfare.
                      Remember Barbaro?

That was annoying.

Comment

Working...
                      X