Circumcision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circumcision?

So, my wife is three weeks early, getting started with labor now... I had planned on having some time to think things over but now thats not possible. I read very little in favor of circumcision except for doing it if thats the way dad is, which seems like a lazy reason. Any of you had a baby boy somewhat recently and have a strong reason for or against circumcision? My mom is very upset that I'm not planning on doing it and says she wont babysit. I'll manage without the help if I'm doing the right thing... Probably wont reply for a while as I'm slightly preoccupied.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

went through this with my first son. there are pros and cons, both physically and socially (both ways). in the end, i think it's fully personal preference/choice. there is no "right" other than what you prefer.

ETA: if you have a strong religious conviction that is one way or the other, then, yeah, that would make one of them "right" - that wasn't the case with me.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Smegma--enough said.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It makes converting to Islam easier.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

why would you not do it?

Comment

It's part of my family's religious tradition, which means I would have taken hell if I didn't do it, but like for you, that wasn't enough reason for me. So I researched it, and I found the research and the opinions of the medical community are split pretty close to 50/50 on this. So ultimately, I don't think there's a right or wrong decision. I let Jewish tradition break the tie. The most compelling reasons for circumcision include some pretty strong studies showing it reduces the risk of contracting AIDS or other STDs, and that it makes it a lot easier for you and your boy to keep it clean. The most compelling reasons against are the risk of injury from a botched procedure, the unknown potential for psychological trauma to the newborn, and some suggestion (although unproven) about reduced sensitivity/pleasure from sex.

Comment

why would you do it?

Comment

I'm cut, my boys aren't....let's just say there's a lot more "splatter" with the uncut boys.

The HIV research I've seen seems pretty clear, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have them cut for that reason alone
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  This is really becoming an urban legend, isn't it? The HIV / circumcision study that's widely referenced around here was conducted somewhere in Africa. The study conducted in the United States showed no statistically significant difference across groups.
                  Actually, there were three separate randomized controlled studies done in Africa, all of which concluded that circumcision led to a significant reduction in vaginal-to-penile transmission of HIV. The study conducted in the US was of men having sex with men, and that one found no evidence that circumcision reduced the rate of HIV contraction.

So yes, there are still questions out there about the significance of the circumcision/HIV evidence, but it's patently absurd to call it an urban legend given the results of the three different studies conducted in Africa.

Comment

This is really becoming an urban legend, isn't it? The HIV / circumcision study that's widely referenced around here was conducted somewhere in Africa. The study conducted in the United States showed no statistically significant difference across groups.
                    Both of my sons seem to be orientating straight, so my HIV concern with them is vag/penile transmission
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

When people are saying "the research I've seen seems pretty clear" then something has gotten lost in translation here.

You're not a bad parent if you don't want to circumcise your children. It's a personal choice with risks both on the pro (and these risks are grossly understated, imo) and con sides.

no arguement here, you don't want to cut your boy, don't. I didn't for all those reasons, but have reconsidered....I just got both of my boys the HPV vaccination for just the same reason.

Comment

When people are saying "the research I've seen seems pretty clear" then something has gotten lost in translation here.

You're not a bad parent if you don't want to circumcise your children. It's a personal choice with risks both on the pro (and these risks are grossly understated, imo) and con sides.
                        Oh, no question, but I don't think anybody in this thread remotely suggested that you're a bad parent if you don't want to circumcise. My first post said that the pros and cons basically make it a toss up and there's no wrong answer. But I do think when listing out the pros and cons that it's legitimate to say that the research that's out there on circumcision and HIV transmission is, indeed, one of the key items in the "pro circumcision" column. I certainly don't pooh-pooh the key items in the "anti circumcision" column, either. I just think they pretty much even out.

Comment

I chose not to have my son circumcised and would probably make that same choice again, but I didn't and don't have a great deal of confidence that I know what the right decision was. In absence of that, I had a hard time choosing a medical procedure that involved cutting off part of my son's penis without feeling like I had a strong body evidence leaning that way. The fact that it's a relatively safe procedure lowers the bar, but I just never found enough to push me into feeling like it was necessary.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Of course, after going back and forth on my own decision for my son and doing lots of research, including a thread in the Sports Bar, he ended up born with a birth defect that dictated the decision for us. He was born with hypospadias - his urethral opening was on the underside of his penis rather than the tip, and his penis was bent and twisted. His foreskin was necessary for the corrective surgery, so we called the mohel and cancelled the bris. He underwent successful surgery at 8 months (under general anesthesia, of course, rather than the standard local anesthesia used for most circumcisions), and it resulted in what looks like a normal circumcised penis.

Comment

Circumcision helps prevent transmission of HIV. Game, set and match IMO.

But it's not the end of the world if parents don't want it done.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X