Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn: Mac Users - Help with upgrading OSX from 10.6.8 to 10.7, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Mac Users - Help with upgrading OSX from 10.6.8 to 10.7, please?

So, I got my daughter a MacBook Pro for Xmas.

Her OSX is 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and it needs upgraded to OSX 10.7 (Lion).

1. It says I can download a $30 app to perform this. However, I wanted to check and see if I need to backup the data, etc.

2. For the backup, should I use the Timekeeper app to perform this?

3. It says to use an external HD for the backup, but can I use just any external HD? I have one but I don't know if it's MAc compatible.

4. Is there anything else to be concerned about with this upgrade.

I'm very knowledgeable with PC's and Windows, but I'm new to the MAC scene.

Thanks for your help.

Gris, the OS upgrades usually run very smoothly, and you should not lose any data when upgrading. But it's always a good idea to have a backup, even if you're not upgrading the OS. Any external HD should work fine, as long as it's big enough. For backing up, you can use the Mac's built-in Time Machine, or just manually drag the folders you want to keep (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) to the external drive.

Edit: If you bought the Mac from Apple, the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion should be free.
    macOS Sonoma brings stunning screen savers, desktop widgets, new ways to share work and web apps along with fun personalization tools and Game mode.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
      Gris, the OS upgrades usually run very smoothly, and you should not lose any data when upgrading. But it's always a good idea to have a backup, even if you're not upgrading the OS. Any external HD should work fine, as long as it's big enough. For backing up, you can use the Mac's built-in Time Machine, or just manually drag the folders you want to keep (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) to the external drive.

Edit: If you bought the Mac from Apple, the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion should be free.
      http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/
      What Amit said.

But let me add that if your external HD is formatted for a specific Mac in that it is acting as the Time Machine backup, then it may not read on other Macs.

Comment

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/
        Thanks! However, since we bought the Mac in November, BUT gave it to my daughter on Xmas day and didn't think about upgrading until yesterday...we miss our 30 day window for a free upgrade. Sigh.

Thanks Jude for your input as well.

Comment

I'm also running Snow Leopard, is there any reason to upgrade to Lion?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I'm also running Snow Leopard, is there any reason to upgrade to Lion?
            Well, they just realize an app called ibook author and I wanted to try it for my ebook that I'm working on and it says that you need to upgrade for it to work.

Comment

weird that you have to pay, isnt this basically like a service pack for Windows?
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                weird that you have to pay, isnt this basically like a service pack for Windows?
                Yea, that's what I was thinking.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  For the Mac, the first decimal upgrades are paid upgrades (10.4 (Tiger) -> 10.5 (Leopard) -> 10.6 (Snow Leopard) -> 10.7 (Lion)). There have 7 of these since 2001, or one about every year and a half. Some of these have been relatively cheap, like $29, but many people still choose not to upgrade. Most only do if there is some new feature that comes out that they want to try (like iBooks Author). The second decimal upgrades are more like service packs, and those are free.

Comment

I think it's more than a service pack. There are some new features on Lion that aren't on Snow Leopard. I haven't upgraded yet but I keep meaning to. I read some not so hot reviews where it cause problems on slightly older Macs (mine is 2 1/2 years old). I don't think you'll need to worry about that Gris.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

For the Mac, the first decimal upgrades are paid upgrades (10.4 (Tiger) -> 10.5 (Leopard) -> 10.6 (Snow Leopard) -> 10.7 (Lion)). There have 7 of these since 2001, or one about every year and a half. Some of these have been relatively cheap, like $29, but many people still choose not to upgrade. Most only do if there is some new feature that comes out that they want to try (like iBooks Author). The second decimal upgrades are more like service packs, and those are free.
                      hmm, so basically Apple makes small updates to OSX, and charges a relatively small amount for it? And MS makes a big change with every new Windows but does it less frequently and charges a lot more for it. I'm not sure I prefer one over the other, just different.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        I think it's more than a service pack. There are some new features on Lion that aren't on Snow Leopard. I haven't upgraded yet but I keep meaning to. I read some not so hot reviews where it cause problems on slightly older Macs (mine is 2 1/2 years old). I don't think you'll need to worry about that Gris.
                        Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X