What should I do with David Aardsma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do with David Aardsma?

I am a David Aardsma owner in a 12-team 5x5 AL-only league. I have him at $10 in his option/extend season. I also own Brandon League at $7 who I will certainly keep. With Aardsma expected to miss at least the first two weeks of the regular season, should I keep him at $10 or toss him back?

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
    I am a David Aardsma owner in a 12-team 5x5 AL-only league. I have him at $10 in his option/extend season. I also own Brandon League at $7 who I will certainly keep. With Aardsma expected to miss at least the first two weeks of the regular season, should I keep him at $10 or toss him back?
    I'm in a 15-team mixed 5x5 where I have League for a dollar, so I have been trying to keep up with this. The team seems determined to get Aardsma back into the closing role as soon as possible. My read, though, is that they are doing this so they can trade him around the Break. This might be a good thing for him, if he goes to a good team and closes, but it would be a bad thing if he becomes a set up guy. He doesn't have the greatest skill set, so becoming a set up guy is a real possibility. So League may wind up the closer for he first couple of weeks and the second half. League will be worth his salary, though, even if he doesn't close the second half.

What really bothers me, though, is that Aardsma is just now walking without crutches, at least according to what I read. I would want my closer in better health in the middle of February.

I would do one of two things. 1) I would talk Aardsma up and try to trade him for something you can use, or 2) I would watch carefully during Spring Training, and if he is not lights out, I'd throw him back if I couldn't trade him. Personally, I would go with the first option. If I couldn't trade him, I'd throw him back. You might get him cheaper than $10, if you really want him.

I like to limit risks in choosing my freeze lists. Aardsma has those two huge risks...will he get healthy enough to close and will he become a setup guy for a contender.

JMO.

BTW, I can't even get a nibble in my league on League at a dollar, which I just don't understand.

Comment

I think you have to keep him at $10 but do not give him a raise.

Lucky, I am not sure what you mean by skill sets as he k's a batter per inning and has had a whip of 1.18 and 1.17 the last two years.

There are two reasons not to give him a raise; health, and he maybe traded out of the league.

You can't really expect much in trade value because of those reasons. But for $10 he is worth the gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I think you have to keep him at $10 but do not give him a raise.

Lucky, I am not sure what you mean by skill sets as he k's a batter per inning and has had a whip of 1.18 and 1.17 the last two years.

There are two reasons not to give him a raise; health, and he maybe traded out of the league.

You can't really expect much in trade value because of those reasons. But for $10 he is worth the gamble.
        You are exactly right. I was thinking more in terms of that 4.21 career ERA and 1.43 Whip, but he has been much tougher the last two years, and that is admittedly a better sample for evaluation.

Comment

Working...
        X