Successful Long-Term Contracts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful Long-Term Contracts?

The Pujols situation got me wondering, not enough to do a WAR analysis, but just an eye test, which big money long-term contracts did not result in regret?

From Cot's:

Total Value
    The most lucrative contracts in baseball history, by total value:
    1. Alex Rodriguez, $275,000,000 (2008-17)
    2. Alex Rodriguez, $252,000,000 (2001-10) (Debatable, I'm sure the Rangers regret it and they signed it, but the Yanks were ok with it.)
    3. Derek Jeter, $189,000,000 (2001-10)
    4. Joe Mauer, $184,000,000 (2011-18)
    5. Mark Teixeira, $180,000,000 (2009-16)
    6. CC Sabathia, $161,000,000 (2009-15) (Even if he opts out, I don't think the Yanks regret it, he brought them a World Series.)
    7. Manny Ramirez, $160,000,000 (2001-08)
    8. Troy Tulowitzki, $157,750,000 (2011-20)
    9. Miguel Cabrera, $152,300,000 (2008-15)
    10. Carl Crawford, $142,000,000 (2011-17)
    11. Todd Helton, $141,500,000 (2003-11)
    12. Johan Santana, $137,500,000 (2008-13)
    13. Alfonso Soriano, $136,000,000 (2007-14)
    14. Vernon Wells, $126,000,000 (2008-14)
    . . . Barry Zito, $126,000,000 (2007-13)
    . . . Jayson Werth, $126,000,000 (2011-17)
    17. Ryan Howard, $125,000,000 (2012-16)
    18. Mike Hampton, $121,000,000 (2001-08)
    19. Jason Giambi, $120,000,000 (2002-08)
    . . . Matt Holliday, $120,000,000 (2010-16)
    . . . Cliff Lee, $120,000,000 (2011-15)
    22. Carlos Beltran, $119,000,000 (2005-11)
    23. Ken Griffey Jr., $116,500,000 (2000-08)
    24. Kevin Brown, $105,000,000 (1999-2005)
    25. Carlos Lee, $100,000,000 (2007-12)

. . . Albert Pujols, $100,000,000 (2004-10)
    27. Carlos Zambrano, $91,500,000 (2008-12)
    28. Mike Piazza, $91,000,000 (1999-2005)
    . . . Barry Bonds, $90,000,000 (2002-06)
    . . . Torii Hunter, $90,000,000 (2008-12)
    . . . Chipper Jones, $90,000,000 (2001-06)
    . . . Scott Rolen, $90,000,000 (2003-10) (??? No opinion, doesn't seem too bad?)
    . . . Ichiro Suzuki, $90,000,000 (2008-12)

Bold - No regret
    Italic - Regret
    Plain - TBD

It's not a very good track record and I think we can guess a lot of the TBD's will be regretted eventually, Werth, Howard, Teixiera to a degree, though he also helped win a championship, I suspect Crawford will be the next Wells. I think Mauer will not be worth his contract on the field, but I don't think the Twins will regret it. I don't think the Tigers will regret Cabrera by 2015, he may tail off, but they will have gotten their money's worth. Hunter should be ok through next season. Cliff Lee should be fine through '15 and the Phils will probably have some championships to show for that signing, so I suspect no regrets. Too early to tell with Tulo and Holliday, could go either way.
    Last edited by TopChuckie; 02-17-2011, 10:40 AM. Reason: Changed Piazza to No Regret per DQ.
    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Piazza's deal should be either "regret" or "no regret", not "TBD". I lean toward "no regret", considering the Mets' results during those years. No championships, but one WS, which is more than any Mets team since the 1980s.

I call Rolen's deal neutral. He missed a ton of time, but he did help the Cardinals to a WS win.

Helton's deal expires after this year. How about Albert as a replacement? (I want him to stay in St. Louis, only mentioning this as a possibility)
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      Piazza's deal should be either "regret" or "no regret", not "TBD". I lean toward "no regret", considering the Mets' results during those years. No championships, but one WS, which is more than any Mets team since the 1980s.

I call Rolen's deal neutral. He missed a ton of time, but he did help the Cardinals to a WS win.

Helton's deal expires after this year. How about Albert as a replacement? (I want him to stay in St. Louis, only mentioning this as a possibility)
      I had no recollection of feelings either way on Piazza's deal.

Albert's stats in Colorado would be crazy.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Uh, I guess Cabrera's contract just got a little murkier...

Comment

Piazza's deal should absolutely be regret

Mike Piazza career batting statistics for Major League, Minor League, and postseason baseball

He produced 1/3rd of what he was paid over the final 3 years of that contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            Piazza's deal should absolutely be regret

Mike Piazza career batting statistics for Major League, Minor League, and postseason baseball

He produced 1/3rd of what he was paid over the final 3 years of that contract.
            I am assuming what we may find is that most of the guys that were bought out of arbitration for a few years will be successful (Longoria as a perfect example) and the 2nd big long term contracts that people signed are going to be losers.

Comment

My assumption, which I think is supported by the list, is that the Cardinals are just not a team that can afford to gamble on being one of the few lucky ones. If they lose him, I can't blame them. Many will criticize the Cards, they already are, I won't be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                I am assuming what we may find is that most of the guys that were bought out of arbitration for a few years will be successful (Longoria as a perfect example) and the 2nd big long term contracts that people signed are going to be losers.
                The first contract pays them what they're worth, the second one pays them for what they did rather than what they'll do. Any big contract signed after the age of 30 rarely pays off.

Comment

If you play well enough to earn this kind of deal and then justify it, you're a no-doubt hall of famer. Look at the guys in bold.

Honestly if that deal is a year or 2 earlier, Helton might be a win. And I think that's what Pujols will put up, something like Helton 00-09.

A-rod's first deal is a win in my book. Texas may have overspent their budget but they didn't overvalue the player.

Comment

Being in Toronto, I recall Carlos Delgado wanting huge money to re-sign (he was making 19.7 million in 2004 before becoming a free agent). The Jays let him walk and wisely so.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      A-rod's first deal is a win in my book. Texas may have overspent their budget but they didn't overvalue the player.
                      I agree 100%. At the time he was the best young player in the game, tremendously marketable, and with all of his prime seasons ahead of him. It's tough to argue that the next contract on the list (Jeter at essentially $19M/yr) is somehow better? I see the A-Rod signing by Texas as the better one for what the player provided. I realize A-Rod opted out after seven seasons but during those 7 years he averaged 159GP, 125R, 130RBI, 47HR, 19SB, and batted 304 with a 990 OPS. He was paid well for those seasons, $161M + $10M in bonuses, but $27M of that was deferred. Jeter's numbers weren't close. He averaged 151GP, 108R, 72RBI, 16HR, 22SB, and batted 310 with a 827 OPS. He made $173M + $16M in bonuses, none of it deferred that I could find. If you want to look at those same seven seasons before A-Rod opted out, Jeter compares better, both in numbers and in cost, because he had 2 subpar seasons at the end and was paid at the highest rate then. Still he made $112M +$13M in bonuses for those seasons, averaged 150GP, 111R, 74RBI, 17HR, 22SB, and hit 314 with a 843 OPS. Those intangibles must be pricey?

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                        I agree 100%. At the time he was the best young player in the game, tremendously marketable, and with all of his prime seasons ahead of him. It's tough to argue that the next contract on the list (Jeter at essentially $19M/yr) is somehow better? I see the A-Rod signing by Texas as the better one for what the player provided. I realize A-Rod opted out after seven seasons but during those 7 years he averaged 159GP, 125R, 130RBI, 47HR, 19SB, and batted 304 with a 990 OPS. He was paid well for those seasons, $161M + $10M in bonuses, but $27M of that was deferred. Jeter's numbers weren't close. He averaged 151GP, 108R, 72RBI, 16HR, 22SB, and batted 310 with a 827 OPS. He made $173M + $16M in bonuses, none of it deferred that I could find. If you want to look at those same seven seasons before A-Rod opted out, Jeter compares better, both in numbers and in cost, because he had 2 subpar seasons at the end and was paid at the highest rate then. Still he made $112M +$13M in bonuses for those seasons, averaged 150GP, 111R, 74RBI, 17HR, 22SB, and hit 314 with a 843 OPS. Those intangibles must be pricey?
                        The basis for Regret versus Not Regret was did the team eventually REGRET it. I believe in the long run the Rangers regretted the ARod contract, no way in hell did the Yanks regret the Jeter deal. The inspiration for the thread was "Would the Cards eventually regret signing Pujols for $30M/10 years?" not is Pujols worth $30M per year. The point is, for most teams, handing out this kind of contract will eventually turn out to be a mistake, usually because the player won't be worth it in the long run, but also sometimes just because the team can't afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                          The basis for Regret versus Not Regret was did the team eventually REGRET it. I believe in the long run the Rangers regretted the ARod contract, no way in hell did the Yanks regret the Jeter deal. The inspiration for the thread was "Would the Cards eventually regret signing Pujols for $30M/10 years?" not is Pujols worth $30M per year. The point is, for most teams, handing out this kind of contract will eventually turn out to be a mistake, usually because the player won't be worth it in the long run, but also sometimes just because the team can't afford it.
                          I see your point. In that context the regret threshold for teams like NYY would be much much higher than most. They can just print more $$ like the govt and fix any debacle.
                          But I really think any Ranger's regret wasn't so much A-Rod's deal as much as some of the other deals they did at the time. A-Rod was a tremendously productive and dominant player. He did contribute to them being painted into a financial corner but he wasn't the reason they were losing there. Hick's blowing $200M+ on other crap. To name a few the $125M to lock in Chan Ho and Millwood or the $24M on a well past his prime Juan Gone, had them fiscally strapped and in a deep competitive hole. It ended up costing them A-Rod in the end. But it did so because he was still very valuable, even at his salary. No one was banging down the door for Chan Ho.
                          Last edited by ; 02-21-2011, 09:20 AM. Reason: add summary

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                            I see your point. In that context the regret threshold for teams like NYY would be much much higher than most. They can just print more $$ like the govt and fix any debacle.
                            But I really think any Ranger's regret wasn't so much A-Rod's deal as much as some of the other deals they did at the time. A-Rod was a tremendously productive and dominant player. He did contribute to them being painted into a financial corner but he wasn't the reason they were losing there. Hick's blowing $200M+ on other crap. To name a few the $125M to lock in Chan Ho and Millwood or the $24M on a well past his prime Juan Gone, had them fiscally strapped and in a deep competitive hole. It ended up costing them A-Rod in the end. But it did so because he was still very valuable, even at his salary. No one was banging down the door for Chan Ho.
                            Agreed, mostly. I still wonder if faced with a do-over, would the Rangers give ARod that deal again? Maybe, if they also had the option of not doing the other deals you mention, but I also think all of baseball regrets the first ARod deal due to the jump in all salaries that it carried with it, and the Rangers might be somewhat reticent to be responsible for that again.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                              Agreed, mostly. I still wonder if faced with a do-over, would the Rangers give ARod that deal again? Maybe, if they also had the option of not doing the other deals you mention, but I also think all of baseball regrets the first ARod deal due to the jump in all salaries that it carried with it, and the Rangers might be somewhat reticent to be responsible for that again.
                              Would Tom Hicks go back and do it again? Probably not.

Would Chuck Greenberg go back and do it again, if he didn't have to repeat Hicks' other moves? Probably. He seems to want the Rangers to be a team that makes noise.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X