Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VD1 Draft Order Draft

GOING TO PUT A 4 HOUR CLOCK ON THIS

If no pick is made, then you get the slot you were randomly assigned.

If anyone else wants to join before we actually start, they can slot in at 16, and will get the last available draft slot.

It'll be easier and quicker to start a new thread for this:

1 Jon Carlos
    2 Johnny (I will take the highest available slot)
    3 mjl
    4 Long John
    5 OffTheWall
    6 Revo
    7 The Feral Slasher
    8 SDS
    9 Controller Jacobs
    10 Oakland A's
    11 Heyelander
    12 Hacko
    13 eldiablo505
    14 TS Garp
    15 Frae

If you will be wanting the highest available, or lowest available draft slot, then just make a post and we will assign your position automatically.

Actual Draft Order:

1. JonCarlos
    2. JohnnyA
    3. mjl
    4. Long John
    5. Revo
    6. SeaDogStat
    7. Controller Jacobs
    8. Off_The_Wall
    9. The feral slasher
    10. Oakland As
    11. Heyelander
    12. Frae
    13. ElDiablo
    14. TS Garp
    15. Hacko
    Last edited by johnnya24; 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM.

JonCarlos Up

Johnny (highest available slot)

mjl On Deck

Comment

I have a feeling it's the wrong move but l will just take 1

Comment

I'll take 2

MJL Up

Comment

Not to be a noob, but we have a fair, unbiased, randomly selected draft order. What's wrong with just going with this as our draft order? I mean, I have no stake either way here - at best, I'll get #3 (or I might prefer to be last if mjl takes #3). At worst, I'll be #4. Does draft order have that much effect on the final result?

Btw, I will be in Belgium for 8 days in early March and I don't know how much internet access I'll have. If we're still drafting at that point, I will give a list to a proxy to keep things moving along.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
            Not to be a noob, but we have a fair, unbiased, randomly selected draft order. What's wrong with just going with this as our draft order? I mean, I have no stake either way here - at best, I'll get #3 (or I might prefer to be last if mjl takes #3). At worst, I'll be #4. Does draft order have that much effect on the final result?

Btw, I will be in Belgium for 8 days in early March and I don't know how much internet access I'll have. If we're still drafting at that point, I will give a list to a proxy to keep things moving along.
            Some people prefer to draft at the end rather than the early middle or middle ... so this gives them the option. It can only really benefit as (1) you have the opportunity to get a higher pick (which seems to be what most people want), (2) you have to option to hand pick your draft slot, especially if you prefer to draft near the end. For instance, I would sooner draft 15th than 7th.

As for draft order effecting the final result ... no not really. In terms of value there is no real advantage to drafting at a particular spot in the order, however, it may be beneficial to a particular strategy to draft at a certain place. For instance, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb will not be available at the turn of the first round ... but maybe your strategy is best suited to pairing up Billy Hamilton and Rickey Henderson. You would get better value from those picks if you drafted near the end.

Also note that, in the final round, the person drafting last will have the advantage of seeing everyone else s pick, and be able to pick the absolute optimal pick.

I imagine the draft will be fairly well advanced by March (we might even be finished). If not, you will likely only have a few letters left, so this will not be a big issue.
            Last edited by johnnya24; 01-08-2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

MJL Up until 2pm EST

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                It's all part of the pomp and circumstance involved with vintage drafting. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the paucity of poles this time around.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  It's all part of the pomp and circumstance involved with vintage drafting. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the paucity of poles this time around.
                  Easy there, my wife is Polish!

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    I'm a paunchy Pole... does that help? We could try and get DQ to join...that would be two
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

damn... I should just just stuck with onion surveys.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

MJL times out in 15 minutes ... I'm out for the night, so can you guys keep on top of things (PM's, emails etc).

I've already PM'd LJ to alert him he will be due soon.

Thx,

J

Comment

MJL takes 3rd

Long John Up (until 8pm EST)

If you want the highest available slot (as most will), please make a post in the thread ... so we can get this done sometime this year.

Comment

I will take whatever draft slot is left. I hope that helps to move us along

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              We shoulda just made this the draft order. We're kind of just unnecessarily delaying now.

I actually have a sure fire winner draft if I get one slot & 14 loser if I don't.

Of course thinking like this is why I am in the middle of a divorce (for whats that worth )

Comment

Working...
                              X