2012 dead pool draft signup and discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 dead pool draft signup and discussion thread

Please indicate your interest here ASAP so we can get this going soon.

Rules:

Points = 100-age.

+15 for "1st Death", +15 for "Last Death"

No drafting anyone currently hospitalized with a terminal illness. Terminal illness but not in the hospital is OK. In the hospital but not with a terminal illness is OK.

If your person dies during the draft, no points, repick.

Picks must be "notable" other than for death pool positioning. At the very least they should have an English-language Wikipedia page for a reason other than being famous for illness (e.g. Terri Schiavo).

If someone wishes to protest a pick, please state the nature of your objection. If the picker does not agree with the objection, the pick will be put to a vote of drafters.

This draft must move quickly lest too many picks die before it's over. Therefore there will be a two-hour clock on weekdays and a four-hour clock on weekends. The clock will run from 9 AM to 9 PM Eastern time. If you are going to be unavailable, please PM your choices to someone else, or tell us that we can skip you.

Draft will be 10 rounds.
    Last edited by Erik; 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

In, 10 picks is my vote but fine with whatever.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

in.

i vote for 10 picks.

but why this rule?

Anyone 90 or over: 10 points.
      Anyone 89 or younger: points = 100-age.
      this rule encourages the "pick marginal celebrities just because they are 98 years old" strategy by giving them extra value. f that. i say make it "100-age" across the board. punish the weasels and reward the risk-takers.
      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Returning to defend my 2nd title in three years. Some would call that the beginning of a dynasty.
        "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
        ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

I'm in
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
            in.

i vote for 10 picks.

but why this rule?

this rule encourages the "pick marginal celebrities just because they are 98 years old" strategy by giving them extra value. f that. i say make it "100-age" across the board. punish the weasels and reward the risk-takers.
            When Grinch was running it, it was 125-age. Last year, FB made it 100-age. Some people didn't like that, so in midyear he suggested a 10-point minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              When Grinch was running it, it was 125-age. Last year, FB made it 100-age. Some people didn't like that, so in midyear he suggested a 10-point minimum.
              Or return to 125-age.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'm in.

I think we should keep the 100-age and have ten picks per team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  pffffft. lame. if you wanna pick the guy who patented the floor-standing toilet paper dispenser just because he's 98, you only deserve 2 points. :2c:

kc

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Or return to 125-age.
                    no - that's even worse!

i vote for "100-age", period. if players want more points, they should sac up and look beyond the sure things.

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                      no - that's even worse!

i vote for "100-age", period. if players want more points, they should sac up and look beyond the sure things.
                      Good point, I'm fine with that.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

OK, we'll do 100-age unless anyone else feels strongly otherwise.

Comment

There's enough support for 10 rounds (and we're starting this early enough in Jan) that that's what we'll do.

Comment

So far:

Erik
                            DMT
                            Cobain's Ghost
                            Netboy
                            Fresno Bob
                            Griswold
                            ElD

I'll send PMs to everyone else who played last year.

Comment

In...

100-age +10 rds is all good for me as well.
                              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                              X