2011 Spring Training News & Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Spring Training News & Notes

Astros camp opened today, and general manager Ed Wade said Rule 5 pick Lance Pendleton — taken from the Yankees — is primarily auditioning for a spot in the rotation.
    Wouldn't that be embarrassing for the Yanks? The Astros claim their 5th starter via the Rule 5 from the Yanks, while the Yanks struggle to find a 4th and 5th starter. I guess it's kind of embarrassing for the Astros too, though, they're considering a guy for their 5th spot that even with all their holes, the Yanks didn't consider an option.

Lots of attempted spin regarding an A.J. Burnett bounce back, but reading between the lines, I'm just not hearing much sincere confidence, even from A.J.

Mariano Rivera will report late due to his kids having the flu.

Posada claims to be ok as DH-only. I'll believe when I see it.

Posada said he wouldn't be surprised to see Pettitte back this season.

Brett Gardner reported early to get a jump on recovering from wrist surgery.

Jeter will remain at leadoff, until he forces them to move him.

CC lost weight, Joba gained.
    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    (Fill in the blank) has a new training regimen and is in the best shape of his life!

(Fill in the blank) has reworked his delivery and expects to bounce back from a terrible year last year.

(Fill in the blank) feels even stronger than before after coming off of surgery.
    (Fill in the blank) had lasik eye surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
      Wouldn't that be embarrassing for the Yanks? The Astros claim their 5th starter via the Rule 5 from the Yanks, while the Yanks struggle to find a 4th and 5th starter. I guess it's kind of embarrassing for the Astros too, though, they're considering a guy for their 5th spot that even with all their holes, the Yanks didn't consider an option.

Lots of attempted spin regarding an A.J. Burnett bounce back, but reading between the lines, I'm just not hearing much sincere confidence, even from A.J.

Mariano Rivera will report late due to his kids having the flu.

Posada claims to be ok as DH-only. I'll believe when I see it.

Posada said he wouldn't be surprised to see Pettitte back this season.

Brett Gardner reported early to get a jump on recovering from wrist surgery.

Jeter will remain at leadoff, until he forces them to move him.

CC lost weight, Joba gained.
      hehe...after reading the news and notes, I thought this was a yankee thread!!

Comment

What about the fact the guy the Yankees have penciled into #4 spot, Ivan Nova, was lost as a Rule V pick -- and then returned?

Anyone going to spring training games? I have tickets for the March 13th Phillies-Twins game, and I hope to get Red Sox tickets to the Marlins-Red Sox game on 3/12.

Comment

Hanrahan officially named Pirates closer over Meek.

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
          hehe...after reading the news and notes, I thought this was a yankee thread!!
          I started it with all/mostly Yankees ST news because that's what I follow most closely. I assumed fans of all the other teams would do the same.
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            What about the fact the guy the Yankees have penciled into #4 spot, Ivan Nova, was lost as a Rule V pick -- and then returned?
            Well first of all that was three years ago when he was far less proven and therefore more difficult for the Yankees to justify saving space for, in lieu of someone else. He obviously wasn't ready for MLB, so he was returned, and the Yankees did the right thing.

In this case, the Rule 5 player is not just being considered for an unlikely long shot spot on the roster, usually as the last guy in the bull pen, he's being considered for the far more critical position of 5th starter, a position the Yankees are "desperate" to fill themselves.

It's really not comparable. And if we really want to embarrass Houston with the Rule 5, we can bring up Johan Santana, but that wasn't the point of what I posted. The point was, the Yanks really need 5th starter candidates and if they let a legit one get away to Houston in the Rule 5, that would not look good. If Pendleton somehow holds down the 5th starter spot for Houston all year, while the Yanks struggle to fill the role, or wind up trading valuable prospects in July to fill the role, that would be embarrassing. Most likely he'll flop and be returned, or end up in the Astros' pen, but I'm just saying, the op is there for the Yanks to look especially foolish.

Comment

Well first of all that was three years ago when he was far less proven and therefore more difficult for the Yankees to justify saving space for, in lieu of someone else. He obviously wasn't ready for MLB, so he was returned, and the Yankees did the right thing.
              It was actually less than 2 years ago and he had been in their system for three years, but yeah, he was still in the low-level minors.

I get your point with Pendleton.

Comment

Joba did show up fat at camp today....ooof

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Joba did show up fat at camp today....ooof

That is funny, but apparently it not entirely true.

Comment

Looks like jose "one year wonder" bautista is signing for $65 million over 5 years.

Comment

Scott Podsednik signed a minor league with the Blue Jays. mlbdepthcharts already has him as the starting left fielder despite the fact that it's just a minor league deal. I suppose Juan Rivera is the loser here for now. I say for now cause Toronto was rumored to be looking to trade Rivera. I would guess this deal makes that more of a certainty.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        Scott Podsednik signed a minor league with the Blue Jays. mlbdepthcharts already has him as the starting left fielder despite the fact that it's just a minor league deal. I suppose Juan Rivera is the loser here for now. I say for now cause Toronto was rumored to be looking to trade Rivera. I would guess this deal makes that more of a certainty.
                        I don't know how much stock I put in that depth chart. The Jays have been trying to get someone to take Rivera, but have had little luck so far. BTW, just checking MLB depth charts again and they have Rivera as the starter...

If Pods is really going to be the starter, I suddenly have a decision to make in the RJEL...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I don't know how much stock I put in that depth chart. The Jays have been trying to get someone to take Rivera, but have had little luck so far. BTW, just checking MLB depth charts again and they have Rivera as the starter...

If Pods is really going to be the starter, I suddenly have a decision to make in the RJEL...
                          Oh I realize it's all speculation and there are still plenty of spring training games to be played. But Pods has played well the last few seasons so I would imagine a team with just Davis for speed would want him playing.

FYI, I just re-checked mlbdepthcharts and Rivera is back as the starter and Podsednik on the bench.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Rickie Weeks signed for 4/$38.5 with option 5th year:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Liriano not throwing today due to tightness in his shoulder

Comment

Working...
                              X