Dental Fears - Almost lost my Uvula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental Fears - Almost lost my Uvula

OK lets start with this - I hate the dentist and I am terrified to go.... So earlier this year I chipped a tip off of a molar. Well my new gal had been asking me to go see the dentist for a while and this kind of put the icing on it. So she set me up an appointment.

Well after getting xrays on the teeth and what not the dentist prescribes me Valium and lets me know I had about 6 small cavities that needed to be taken care of along with fixing the chipped molar.

So last night I am at my 3rd session to complete the work. Valium - Check! Nitrous - Check! Suction - Che..... oh crap the suction thingy latched onto my uvula....... Shut it down - shut it down. LOL! We got through the rest of it with no issues.

I dont blame the gal with the suction thingy, she felt bad enough as it was.

This morning I wake up and its a bit swollen so I feel like I have a cold and I know I dont. Its just weird. Anyway, I am now at the point where I will go once a year for check ups and such. If it wasnt for the Valium and the Nitrous - I never would have made it through.

I still dont like the dentist!!
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

That sucks. Sorry about that. I didn't go to the dentist for about 15 years. I had a molar chip twice, same one, and so I finally went. I need a root canal on that tooth. Next checkup they found another root canal. I've been going for checkups every four months or so since then with no real issues.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      ...my new gal...
      who cares about your teeth - you got a new lady? way to go, dude!
      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

I went 20 years between dentist visits with no problems, they were actually stunned how good of shape my teeth were in. If I could get nitrous every time, I'd be in 3X a year....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

My wife is a speech pathologist, hear uvula all the time, she pulled it of in scrabble yesterday.

Also a cracked tooth this holiday and manage to squeeze into schedule, spent 45 minutes in waiting room, get in, grinds it smooth and says we don't have time for the spackle, set up an appointment, grrrr.

New girl, do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            I went 20 years between dentist visits with no problems, they were actually stunned how good of shape my teeth were in. If I could get nitrous every time, I'd be in 3X a year....
            That's amazing. After I got out on my own years ago, I went several years w/o visiting a dentist. When I finally did, I had a considerable build-up of plaque which the dentist said eroded my enamel and would likely cause future decay and told me I should have my teeth cleaned every 6 months. Well, he was right, I've had continual problems w decay above the gumline since, even tho I've been getting my teeth cleaned regularly ever since and brush every day. So I have lots of fillings now but otherwise my teeth are fine. I've talked to more than one person that stopped going to the dentist, and I tell each one that they should get a cleaning every 6 months if they want to avoid a lot of decay. Actually, I get a cleaning every 4 months now. So the fact that you went 20 years between checkups w no problems amazes me.

Comment

Basically I brush my teeth really well with a firm toothbrush, that and the fact that I generate a lot of saliva, only have had one cavity and don't drink soda have helped, I drink tons of tap water which does get fluoridated here in the bay area as well
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                Basically I brush my teeth really well with a firm toothbrush, that and the fact that I generate a lot of saliva, only have had one cavity and don't drink soda have helped, I drink tons of tap water which does get fluoridated here in the bay area as well
                Not drinking soda, which has acid in it, definitely helps (I drink maybe 3-4 sodas a week). I would think that excess saliva would not be good because it also has acid in it. Using a firm toothbrush is not recommended because it scrubs away your gums, which exposes more surface of your teeth thus creating the potential for more decay. I use nothing but soft brushes, which is what is recommended.

Comment

Working...
                X