Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original writer's/performers of popular songs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original writer's/performers of popular songs....

Some songs that surprisingly to me were originally done by others than the artists that made them popular.

"Girls Just want to Have Fun" - Cindy Lauper made it popular but written by Robert Hazard

"Do you Wanna Touch" - Joan Jett made it semi-popular, but it was written by Gary Glitter. I love this video!!

"Queen of Hearts" - Juice Newton had the monster hit, but Dave Edmunds wrote it.

i couldn't find a video of Edmunds' version

"What's So Funny bout Peace..." - Elvis Costello with the hit, Nick Lowe wrote it.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

"Do you wanna touch" written by Gary Glitter...hmmmm...whatever could have been his inspiration behind that title, I wonder?
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
      "Do you wanna touch" written by Gary Glitter...hmmmm...whatever could have been his inspiration behind that title, I wonder?
      I bet it's because he's a pederast
      I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

"Nothing Compares 2 U" was written by Prince, originally recorded by The Family, subsequently covered by Sinead O'Connor (most successfully), and Prince himself.

Comment

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Janis Joplin daily double:

Kris Kristofferson -- "Me & Bobby McGee"

Erma Franklin --"Piece of My Heart"

Last edited by revo; 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Prince has written songs for a lot of artists. Can't forget this one.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought the answer to every "Did you know someone else wrote that?" question was Otis Redding.

Here's one that I always thought was funny, given that it's the sexiest song any woman has ever sung...

...was actually written by

Last edited by Bob Kohm; 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                  I thought the answer to every "Did you know someone else wrote that?" question was Otis Redding.
                  LOL...I thought it was Dylan.

Can't link video from work, but of course, the most famous was Hendrix's cover of "All Along The Watchtower" originally by Dylan. Which was also passably covered by U2 (though nowhere near as great as Jimi's).
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Janis Joplin daily double:

Kris Kristofferson -- "Me & Bobby McGee"

Erma Franklin --"Piece of My Heart"

I can't embed the video, but Faith Hill also did "Piece of my heart".
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      LOL...I thought it was Dylan.

Can't link video from work, but of course, the most famous was Hendrix's cover of "All Along The Watchtower" originally by Dylan. Which was also passably covered by U2 (though nowhere near as great as Jimi's).
                      The Byrds made their mark almost exclusively with Dylan songs.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

You see Steve Cropper's name turn up on a lot of songs, as well as John Hiatt.

One of my favorite songs is John Hiatt's original version of "Riding with the King", which most assume was written by or at least for BB King and Eric Clapton when they did their collaborative album.

There are tons of great examples, not only of odd people writing the songs, but there being "old" originals that nobody remembers.

Comment

Billy Roberts "Hey Joe"

Bruce Springsteen "Blinded by the Light"

One of the few songs I really like both versions.

Neil Diamond "Red Red Wine"

Neil Diamond "I'm a Believer"

James Ray "I've Got My Mind Set on You"

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            The Byrds made their mark almost exclusively with Dylan songs.
                            [cough]And did them better than Dylan.[/cough]
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

Comment

Working...
                              X