Computer Hell--Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Hell--Help!

This morning, my home computer succumbed to a malware blitz. I can't get online on it, as all it's allowing me is IE Emergency Mode.

If anyone out there is willing to spend a little time helping me restore my link to the outside world, please send me a PM and we'll set up a time for a phone link. I'm the technological Village Idiot, and this scares the sh** out of me.

That's the least of my problems today, but at least this one can be solved. My boss had a massive heart attack last Tuesday night, and I was at the hospice when he passed away last night. The funeral is tomorrow, I've been making all kinds of phone calls, I now have to do all the company work since our two-person staff is now down to just me, and I'm here online instead of getting things done.

I've had better days!

Anyway--If anyone can help with the computer problem, please contact me.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

cripes, sorry for your loss mate.

No real help here, I'll let someone with more knowledge field the computer question.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Do a system restore to some point in time prior to yesterday.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
        Do a system restore to some point in time prior to yesterday.
        This has saved my bacon several times in the past few years, though only from minor annoyances.

When it rains, it pours, DQ. Take things an hour, or a minute, at a time. "This, too, shall pass."

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I'm really bad about helping people over the phone as I am useless if I cant see it and I always leave out steps when I'm giving instructions. I've had success in the past using smitfraudfix and malwarebytes. Use rkill.com first if malwarebytes will not install. Typically these tools get you up and running but I've found that the malware is still there and will resurface again soon.'

try system restore first.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            I'm really bad about helping people over the phone as I am useless if I cant see it and I always leave out steps when I'm giving instructions. I've had success in the past using smitfraudfix and malwarebytes. Use rkill.com first if malwarebytes will not install. Typically these tools get you up and running but I've found that the malware is still there and will resurface again soon.'

try system restore first.
            OK. Where do I find "system restore"?

(I told you I'm the technological Village Idiot)

And how do install smitfraudfix and malwarebytes if I can't get online? That's the biggest problem--getting past Emergency Mode and getting either IE or Firefox to get online.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              In Windows XP: Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
              In Windows 7 (and probably Vista): Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Action Center>Recovery (lower right corner)

Windows 7 Recovery Instructions
              Last edited by Davros; 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

And how do install smitfraudfix and malwarebytes if I can't get online? That's the biggest problem--getting past Emergency Mode and getting either IE or Firefox to get online.
                You need to use another computer to get the fixes, and then transfer them to your infected computer with a CD or a USB flash drive. Download the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware here:
                Protect your home and business PCs, Macs, iOS and Android devices from the latest cyber threats and malware, including ransomware.

Comment

if system restore doesnt take care of it, use another pc to download the fixes and use a usb drive to get them over to the infected pc. Or burn them on a cd.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

OK, I found System Restore, and much to my surprise (since it's a Microsoft program), it worked. Or seemed to work, which is close enough for me. I'm back online at home, which is perhaps the first good thing that's happened all day.

TC, virgo, cbb, et al, thank you SO much for the help. If I can get through tomorrow and perhaps the day after, I think I can handle just about anything the rest of tax season.

Now here's a question--Just how much anti-virus and similar protection do I really need? And what vendors do you recommend? I have McAfee (expiring if I don't renew), AVG has been trying to get me to subscribe, and severa others are out there. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Department of Redundancy Department.

-- William James

Comment

Glad I could help, just paying it forward.

I have free AVG, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and CCCleaner on my computer, but there's no software that will guarantee you never get infected with something.
                      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

OK, I found System Restore, and much to my surprise (since it's a Microsoft program), it worked. Or seemed to work, which is close enough for me. I'm back online at home, which is perhaps the first good thing that's happened all day.

TC, virgo, cbb, et al, thank you SO much for the help. If I can get through tomorrow and perhaps the day after, I think I can handle just about anything the rest of tax season.

Now here's a question--Just how much anti-virus and similar protection do I really need? And what vendors do you recommend? I have McAfee (expiring if I don't renew), AVG has been trying to get me to subscribe, and severa others are out there. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Department of Redundancy Department.
                        I use Avast as my main anti virus/malware protection but its rarely needed because I also use noscript for firefox (maybe for chrome too) which prevents a lot of the crap from even getting close enough for Avast to detect it.

I'd recommend installing malwarebytes and letting it do a full scan just to make sure you're clean. And make sure you download it from the right place... My dad claims to have gotten more viruses/malware from downloading a fake version.

Comment

Great that you're up and running again.

Now you're into the world of prevention.

1. Anti-Virus
                          Download Microsoft Secuity Essentials. It's actually pretty good. And it's free. If you want to pay for a product I heartily recommend ESET NOD32.

Whichever you choose, install them and fun a full system scan immediately.

2. Browser
                          Don't know which version of Internet Explorer you're using, but a permanent move to Firefox or Chrome can only benefit you. Either one is excellent and they'll import all your favourites/bookmarks for you. Then delete that little Internet Explorer icon and don't use it again.

3. Adblock
                          Whether you've installed Firefox or Chrome, install the AdBlock extension. This is a little program that sits in your browser and stops ads from loading. Many infections are caused by little ads that say something like "You've got something wrong with your PC: click "FIX" to fix it!!!" and then put some nasty thing on your computer if you click it.

3. Anti-malware stuff
                          Spybot Search & Destroy (install and run scan)
                          Malwarebytes (install and run scan)

4. Computer Housecleaning
                          Download and install CC Cleaner. It's a fairly idiotproof cleanup program for your pc. Good practice to run it every while, say weekly or even monthly.

Comment

I used to use Avast but switched to AVG to appease the network at work. I will consider adding the other packages suggested here.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Malwarebytes will take a LONG ass time to run. Start it and go do something else for a couple of hours. It rocks though.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X