Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Tax v. H&R Block Software-Who ya Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Tax v. H&R Block Software-Who ya Like?

I've been using the H&R Block software for a number of years now and like it fine. I use the Deluxe edition-No need to step up to a Premier and I do returns for my family as well, so the 5 free e-files works perfect for me.

It's a few dollars cheaper on Amazon than Turbo Tax (which is why I've always used it over Turbo Tax).

Anyone have a strong opinion either way on Turbo Tax vs. H&R Block software?

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
    I've been using the H&R Block software for a number of years now and like it fine. I use the Deluxe edition-No need to step up to a Premier and I do returns for my family as well, so the 5 free e-files works perfect for me.

It's a few dollars cheaper on Amazon than Turbo Tax (which is why I've always used it over Turbo Tax).

Anyone have a strong opinion either way on Turbo Tax vs. H&R Block software?
    Will,

Have you ever tried the website, Tax Act? www.taxact.com

It's free to use, e-file, etc.

I'm a CPA and I've used it for the last few years at home and for some of my friends and family.

It will beat you up with pop-ups about filing your state returns, but just ignore them.

It may be worth trying to save you money.

Good luck!

Comment

I've used TurboTax at home for years, and we used it here at the office until this year, when IRS imposed a mandatory electronic filing policy on preparers who handle over a given volume of returns. TurboTax Premier was good enough for 99% of our returns.

I can't say that it's necessarily better than HRB, though, as I've never used any other program. We tried TurboTax first and it worked, so we never switched.

As a matter of fact, I just filed my federal return last night from home. Federal electronic filing is free (up to five returns, as Gris mentioned), and I declined the opportunity to spend $19.95 to file my state return. I filed that one just now the old-fashioned way, print, sign, and mail.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

In Canada I've used StudioTax the past 2 years and have the 2010 version. It's as good as quicktax and while I slide them $20, it isn't mandatory.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

taxes? you guys actually pay your taxes????
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            taxes? you guys actually pay your taxes????
            Absolutely.

--I refuse to be the cobbler whose children have no shoes.
            --I can't reasonably tell all my clients to pay their taxes if I don't pay mine.
            --I'm not Timothy Geithner or Charlie Rangel.
            --OTOH, if they can throw Wesley Snipes and Pete Rose in jail for tax evasion, IRS/DoJ can get anyone if they get pissed off enough. I do NOT mess with IRS, almost all of whose employees go by the mantra "We don't want to get nasty, but if you absolutely insist..."
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

I thought that TurboTax was slightly easier to use when I used it 2-3 years ago. I've been using TaxCut/H&R Block At Home in recent years due to it being a bit cheaper (and some limitations that TurboTax tried to quietly add a few years ago that blew up in their faces). It doesn't walk you through the process as easily (some pages are full of lists with minimal definitions/explanations of the deductions/credits/etc.), but it gets the job done and is reasonably user friendly.

Comment

Rangel not only didn't pay his own taxes, he made sure GE didn't have to pay theirs, either...

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                X