Killing Osama bin Laden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing Osama bin Laden

I know I shouldn't let jackasses bother me, but the latest Donald Trump tirade about bin Laden has raised my blood pressure.

Trump's claim is that President Obama deserves no credit in connection with our ridding the world of this terrorist leader. He says the President was just sitting around in the White House when the generals called and said "We got him". All the President had to do was make the no-brainer decision to send in the troops.

My opinion is that Trump is even farther off target than usual in this case. For one thing, the President had decided to ramp up our efforts to find bin Laden, despite the fact that we had been looking for him for years. When the actionable intelligence was presented, President Obama made the difficult choice. He sent in the Seals to do the job.

Setting aside the option of doing nothing, the President had to decide whether to use drones/bombs/missiles or a boots on the ground operation. The safe choice was the unmanned approach. Even if it goes awry, we haven't lost much. But the down side to using bombs, etc., was huge. Even if the strike were made, we wouldn't have evidence that bin Laden was actually killed. We wouldn't have all the information we got from the dozens and dozens of storage devices. And we would have faced a real chance of killing a lot of innocent people.

Sending the Seals eliminated those possible down sides, but was a huge risk, even for the best trained and equipped operatives in the world. A thousand things could have gone wrong. (There was the problem with one of the helicopters.) And what would have been the blowback if there had been a mission failure? Worse, what if there had been a failure that involved us losing some or all of our Seal operatives? Does anyone remember Jimmy Carter and the failed rescue mission in Iran? The blame for that debacle went to the President, not the military. It marred his presidency and no doubt contributed to his defeat in the 1980 Presidential election.

So, essentially, President Obama risked not only the lives of our fighting men, but also put his Presidency on the line by sending in the Seals. I have read that members of his own cabinet urged him not to do it. To me, it was the gutsiest call to come out of our White House in a long time.

The President doesn't claim all the credit. He praises the military and the intelligence agencies who made everything happen. But to deny the President any credit at all is just plain wrong.

So, I don't think Trump lurks here, but if anyone disagrees with my take on his comments (it's not hard to find them, he gave several interviews), please chime in.

This is one of Obama's greatest successes as President; Trump is a complete moron.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Lucky, I KNOW Trump.

His comments, about anything, are made for a reason. In this case, he's stirring the pot, and you got stirred.

His "Art of the Deal" book reveals some of it, but his "Think Big and Kick Ass" book - yes, really - lays it out in a more straightforward fashion.

Trump plays by different rules than most of us, and he takes advantage of people biting on his emotional bait. Personally, I found the "dance" to be quite entertaining - he won't ever tell you that he respects that you "get it," but you can tell if he does.

And then when you're no longer so relevant to him, you won't hear from him anymore.
      Which is fine by me.

He writes those books to give people an opportunity to understand the game. And anyone who doesn't, he's happy to mind-fock.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Lucky, I KNOW Trump.

His comments, about anything, are made for a reason. In this case, he's stirring the pot, and you got stirred.

His "Art of the Deal" book reveals some of it, but his "Think Big and Kick Ass" book - yes, really - lays it out in a more straightforward fashion.

Trump plays by different rules than most of us, and he takes advantage of people biting on his emotional bait. Personally, I found the "dance" to be quite entertaining - he won't ever tell you that he respects that you "get it," but you can tell if he does.

And then when you're no longer so relevant to him, you won't hear from him anymore.
        Which is fine by me.

He writes those books to give people an opportunity to understand the game. And anyone who doesn't, he's happy to mind-fock.
        I understand that Trump is gaming the system. He only fools those who are gullible, greedy or both. That's not the point.

The point is that people should point out his bull****, his ignorance of the issues upon which he is speaking, and the damage that he does to legitimate public discourse.

I don't know Trump, but I've dealt with his personality profile for over thirty years.

Comment

He's not ignorant in the traditional sense that he doesn't know what he's doing.

On the one hand, you don't want to take the bait.
          But I understand your concerns as well.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

You're giving Trump WAY more thought than he deserves.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Three words: Consider the source.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                This is one of Obama's greatest successes as President; Trump is a complete moron.
                Ka-ching! Pay the man.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

He's not ignorant in the traditional sense that he doesn't know what he's doing.
                  so if this is true what is his objective? is he gearing up for a 2016 run?
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

His objective is to get publicity for himself. His political actions/statements are no different from The Apprentice in his overall scheme of things.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Exactly.
                      He is a brand, and the more publicity he gets, the more the brand is worth, he feels.

Old-time actress Mae West had a line: "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Exactly.
                        He is a brand, and the more publicity he gets, the more the brand is worth, he feels.

Look in the urban dictionary under Media Whore, that'll explain it all.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Exactly.

Did Mae West ever run for public office?
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                          X