RIP Colonel Potter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Colonel Potter

Harry Morgan passed away at 96. Long life.

Loved him in M*A*S*H.

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_...ry-morgan-dies
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

wow 96. God blessed him with a long life.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Funny thing about Harry Morgan - He had a bit part in MASH as a crazy colonel or something in an episode a few years before becoming Harry Potter. Always loved that show!
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Beats the **** out of your plane being shot down over the Sea of Japan. Always did like both of the Colonels.
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Liked him in Dragnet too.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            Funny thing about Harry Morgan - He had a bit part in MASH as a crazy colonel or something in an episode a few years before becoming Harry Potter. Always loved that show!
            He was Colonel Flag in one or two episodes, then someone else picked up the role as Colonel Flag when Morgan took on the role as Harry Potter. I loved M*A*S*H growing up and Potter was one of my favorites.

Last edited by BuckyBuckner; 12-08-2011, 01:23 AM.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

For movie fans, Morgan was in, among others:

The Ox-Bow Incident, 1943, Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn starred
              Wing and a Prayer, 1944,with Don Ameche, Dana Andrews
              Madame Bovary, 1949, with Jennifer Jones, James Mason, Van Heflin
              High Noon, 1952, with Gary Cooper, Lloyd Bridges, Grace Kelly, Lon Chaney Jr
              The Glenn Miller Story, 1954, with Jimmy Stewart, June Allyson

oh, and a little TV, too
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                He was Colonel Flag in one or two episodes, then someone else picked up the role as Colonel Flag when Morgan took on the role as Harry Potter. I loved M*A*S*H growing up and Potter was one of my favorites.

According to IMDB:

M*A*S*H (TV series)
                Colonel Sherman T. Potter / Maj. Gen. Bartford Hamilton Steele

Comment

He was never Col. Flagg. He was good, but certainly no Col. Blake!!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

M*A*S*H is one of my favorite shows of all time. Loved Potter, Blake, Klinger, Col. Flagg, and can't forget Frank Burns. Used to watch this every night at dinner time in the 80s.

RIP Mr. Morgan.
                    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      He was never Col. Flagg. He was good, but certainly no Col. Blake!!
                      I must be the contrarian. While I liked Col. Blake and the first few season, I think the show is much better with Potter and B.J. Honnicutt. When Honnicutt and Frank Burns were together for their season's their was a great give and take. Honnicutt's sense of humor and practical joking made him way better. He could stand alone with Hawkeye. Trapper was Hawkeye's sidekick and couldn't pull off an episode without him.

Honnicutt took over the aspects of humanity the Radar had when he left.

As for Blake and Potter, I never liked that Blake was a buffoon. Hated that Burns and Hot Lips ran roughshod over him. He never seemed to command respect. Potter commanded respect, but was able to bring the silliness.

Potter slightly better than Blake
                      Burns better than Winchester
                      Honnicutt much better than Trapper

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

I always like the Potter/Honnicott years better than the Blake/McIntyre years. Harry Morgan was a big part of that. He astually looked like a Colonel, and Blake never did.

I also remember him from reruns of Dragnet.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I pretty much don't watch episodes after Henry and Trapper left. Hunnicutt was damn good though.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I pretty much don't watch episodes after Henry and Trapper left. Hunnicutt was damn good though.
                            I'm just the opposite. I suggest you give the Burns/Honnicutt era some time.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                              I'm just the opposite. I suggest you give the Burns/Honnicutt era some time.
                              The laugh track was so intrusive the first few years. I am also aDavid Ogen Stiers fan.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X