Vitamins and supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamins and supplements

Are there any you swear by for either training, weight loss or general health? I am trying to do research about what would be most effective for my 15 y/o son who is in his football off-season. He is weight training 3 times per week. He needs to gain some muscle while not losing speed. Have you found certain vitamins or supplements help you recover faster? What whey protein helps most? Things like that.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I'd like to see this answered as well.

I've been taking a multi-vitamin every morning, as well as extra vitamin D to keep the seasonal affect disorder at bay. Also trying to be conscious of getting enough protein (usually clif bars or the like), and 5+ fruits and veggies (usually in fruit snack form).

I aim for 30+ grams of protein a day (though I would take 50+ if I was doing weight training), 5+ fruits and veggies, and around 2000 calories. I've lost 35 pounds this year, most of which came from implementing these simple rules.

Can't wait for the softball team to see me.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Great job TW!
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Missed this earlier, Hammer. Based on some info elD, Papa Deuce, and one other guy on the old board gave me, here's what I'd recommend:

- I'll occasionally have a protein bar after a workout, but usually just go the lean protein + skim milk route. But since he's 15 and lifting, I'd recommend a high protein shake, too. He's going to need somewhere in the range of 100-150 g of protein a day. Figure two meals with lean protein and one or two supplements a day for him; target a max of 30-40g of protein per sitting.
        - Vitamin D is huge. Most athletes, surprisingly, are deficient. Reference here: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...c-performance/
        I take 800 IU per day. For a 15 year old in training, I'd push that to 1000-1200 IU.
        - I'd also bump up Vitamin C. The medical research is spotty concerning antioxidants, but I've seen enough empirical data from hard core runners and serious lifters to convince me there's value. However, too much can be taken by a 15 year old. My info has max tolerable upper limit for a boy your sons age at 1800 mg/day. I'd stay in the 1000 mg/day range to be safe.
        - There's been a lot of press about Vitamin E, too, but I'd not recommend more than what's in a normal vitamin supplement. Vitamin E is fat soluble, and can have nasty side effects.
        - A number of guys swear by quercetin; medical research is preliminary, but it definitely appears to have anti-inflammatory benefits and may have endurance benefits. Best part about quercetin - plain old black tea has a lot, so if he's willing and able to drink a large glass of tea a day, you don't even need him to supplement.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

thats good stuff Chance. He and I are both taking 1000mg of D and started taking fish oil. He is doing two whey protein shakes per day except on days he lifts. Those days he is using Cyto Carb shakes.

Comment

I have read that there is no such thing as too much Vitamin C. I have never heard of any side effects from high doses of Vitamin C. I have been taking about 10,000 mg a day for a while now, as an antihistamine.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I have read that there is no such thing as too much Vitamin C. I have never heard of any side effects from high doses of Vitamin C. I have been taking about 10,000 mg a day for a while now, as an antihistamine.
              Mayo Clinic would disagee with you, at least concerning a 15 year old. They're my source for the Vitamin C recommendation above. Vitamin C is water soluble, so risk of accumulation is little, but in teenagers, I'd certainly stay under the max tolerance limit. There's some medical support for high doses bringing antiviral advantages, but I don't see messing with that with a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Mayo Clinic would disagee with you, at least concerning a 15 year old. They're my source for the Vitamin C recommendation above. Vitamin C is water soluble, so risk of accumulation is little, but in teenagers, I'd certainly stay under the max tolerance limit. There's some medical support for high doses bringing antiviral advantages, but I don't see messing with that with a teenager.
                While i won't disagree with what is suggested that a 15 year old take, the medical establishment has been known to be wrong once in a while . Maybe if the medical establishment had been pushing for higher vitamin intake these last 50 years or so, we'd have a healthier populace.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  While i won't disagree with what is suggested that a 15 year old take, the medical establishment has been known to be wrong once in a while
                  Agreed, though with a 15 year old, I'd err on the side of caution.

I do know a number of local endurance athletes that take doses similar to yours, or on stronger antioxidants like resveratrol.

Comment

The MOST important thing is to train hard while growing. For a 15 year old, he could be in the middle of a growth spurt, are due for one soon. Growing pains and fatigue are bad enough that a lot of young guys slack off the work. It is the time to really bear down. He will sculpt his body for the rest pf his lifetime.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X