Question on League Contraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on League Contraction

So, our AL only league is going from a 10 team league to an 8 team league and I can't for the life of me figure out how this affects valuing the players.

I figure the top players will go for more and the bottom players will go for less, is that accurate?

I guess I'm trying to figure out whether my $39 Miggy and $30 NCruz are keepers anymore...we'll have ALOT of corner infielders available as well as OF's.

In general, how 'should' the contraction affect the auction prices??

TIA

Having not been in a league where this has happened, hard to say how exactly it will effect auction dynamics but less teams means less money (2*~$260) to spread around to less players. To me this would clearly mean there is a lot of value in dollar days so getting replacement level players cheap will not be hard. I would also suspect that more money gets shifted to studs but how much also likely depends on league inflation. If you are contracting, I can extrapolate that the open teams were not very good and thus not a lot of keeper value (since you couldn't backfill them). If this is the case, then the remaining 8 teams can be starting from good/very good keeper lists and would have money to bid up the best players. All conjecture, but you likely get my point.

I'd have a hard time keeping both Cabrera and Cruz since too much money to tie up and Cruz should go for just a little more than that in most leagues. Cabrera on the other hand may be worth locking up but again that likely depends on the strength of your other keepers.

Comment

in general, you are correct. Studs will go a little more and the middle tier guys generally stay about the same. I would keep Miggy and toss Cruz back.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Yes, the stud hitters should go for more. I wouldn't adjust the stud pitchers too much. You'll be surprised with the decent selection of players during dollar days, especially pitchers.
        Keep Miggy

Comment

I'd nominate mid-range guys early who will lose a lot of value after this change, turning to near end-gamers as it turns out due to the depth of the player pool. Several owners may not grasp that until it's too late, and make "10-team" bids.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            I'd nominate mid-range guys early who will lose a lot of value after this change, turning to near end-gamers as it turns out due to the depth of the player pool. Several owners may not grasp that until it's too late, and make "10-team" bids.
            Agreed.

Also, the last player taken in any auction should be $1. In an 8 teamer that $1 player is 46 players better than in a 10 team. If you call out the 184th player on your first call there is a very good chance that he will go up a couple of bucks and you just moved up a position for the $1 player.
            Last edited by Gregg; 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Saves are about to get a lot cheaper and easier to grab off the waiver wire.
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Spend early and often on players you WANT. Spend, spend, spend. Pay a few dollars more than you would expect on big studs. Then go quiet in the middle rounds. Let people spend the money they saved on not going big on some mid-range guys, then clean up in the late-game where pickens will be plentiful. Don't spend on saves!

Comment

Working...
                X