PONY League Keepers (18 team mix 5x5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PONY League Keepers (18 team mix 5x5)

Well after making a run at the money last year (and finishing 5th and out of it) I was pretty short on keepers. So i made two off season trades so far...

sent a 1st rd rsv pick to get Rick Porcello who is a $5 2nd year player

Also traded Will Myers (Farm) for Starlin Castro $10 yr 2 and Mike Minor $5 yr 1

I didn't like having to give up Minor but I thought getting 2 young guys with keepable contracts was worth it. Anyway so this is what those moves leave me with...

Locks...
    Bill Butler $10 guaranteed through 2011
    Brett Anderson $5 yr 2
    Wade Davis $5 yr 1
    Starlin Castro $10 yr 2
    Rajai Davis $10 opt

Probably
    Chris Carter OAK $5 yr 1
    Mike Minor $5 yr 1
    Rick Porcello $5 yr 2

Choices...

James McDonald $1 yr 2
    Francisco Cordero $16 yr 2
    Carlos Ruiz $2 opt yr
    Bill Hall $5 yr 2
    Brett Wallace $5 yr 1
    Kyle Blanks $5 opt
    Jorge Posada $11 yr 2
    Jed Lowrie $3 yr 2
    Rafeal Furcal $18 yr 2
    Jon Garland $3 yr 2
    Carl Pavano $10 yr 2
    Joe Blanton $4 yr 2
    Chris Volstad $5 yr 2

Any thoughts on anything would be appreciated. Thanks as always for your input.

Originally posted by frae View Post
    Well after making a run at the money last year (and finishing 5th and out of it) I was pretty short on keepers. So i made two off season trades so far...

sent a 1st rd rsv pick to get Rick Porcello who is a $5 2nd year player

Also traded Will Myers (Farm) for Starlin Castro $10 yr 2 and Mike Minor $5 yr 1

I didn't like having to give up Minor but I thought getting 2 young guys with keepable contracts was worth it. Anyway so this is what those moves leave me with...

Locks...
    Bill Butler $10 guaranteed through 2011
    Brett Anderson $5 yr 2
    Wade Davis $5 yr 1
    Starlin Castro $10 yr 2
    Rajai Davis $10 opt

Probably
    Chris Carter OAK $5 yr 1
    Mike Minor $5 yr 1
    Rick Porcello $5 yr 2

Choices...

James McDonald $1 yr 2
    Francisco Cordero $16 yr 2
    Carlos Ruiz $2 opt yr
    Bill Hall $5 yr 2
    Brett Wallace $5 yr 1
    Kyle Blanks $5 opt
    Jorge Posada $11 yr 2
    Jed Lowrie $3 yr 2
    Rafeal Furcal $18 yr 2
    Jon Garland $3 yr 2
    Carl Pavano $10 yr 2
    Joe Blanton $4 yr 2
    Chris Volstad $5 yr 2

Any thoughts on anything would be appreciated. Thanks as always for your input.
    I guess that I'd probably keep Lowrie, even though I'm not as high on him as OJH is...at that price he should earn his keep. And either Cordero, since closers are always a valuable commodity, or Garland, since he's cheap.

Looks to be a rebuilding year for ya bud...no matter how you go you seem to have plenty to spend.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I would go with Bill Hall for $5. He is the starter.

I like Lowrie, but that Scutaro deal is bothersome. I might actually throw him back with the idea of getting a new contract for the three years ahead. Depending on who is back in I might keep if your rules allow the increase after this year to $8. If you think you can get him cheaper than $8 I would toss him back.

I think I throw Cordero back and hope to get him cheaper or someone else. Chapman and Masset just too good.

If I toss Lowrie back I would keep a $2 Ruiz. He hit .302 last year so he is worth a $2 flier.

Comment

Seems like one of those years where a lot of things would need to break right for you to avoid this being a lost season. With that in mind, I would try to keep as many high-upside players as possible in hopes you hit on a few while leaving yourself with as much money as possible to work with on draft day (to likely buy studs to deal later).

Thus, McDonald at $1 and Lowrie at $3 would be my best bets. For 2011 alone, it's hard to argue that right now Bill Hall ($5) and Carlos Ruiz ($2) don't present the best immediate value but they aren't guys likely to help you win either now or in 2012. Cordero I wouldn't touch since you could likely add some money to his $16 salary and buy a more stable closer who doesn't have 2 guys with better stuff and numbers breathing down his neck.

I might also try to deal Butler and Davis now or at least early in the season since Butler is lost after this season and Davis is very tough to extend at that price imo.

Comment

I do agree that the way this sets up I will need to have a great draft and catch breaks, but that can happen, just not likely. I think I will see what the market is for Rajai Davis, Butler, Ruiz, and Hall. I wouldn't mind adding players with better long term outlooks. Might have to wait till the season starts though, but I will see what people are thinking.

What did you guys think of getting Castro, Minor and Porcello? My thought was that they certainly upgraded my immediate keeper list, but more importantly they could all be even better by 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
            I do agree that the way this sets up I will need to have a great draft and catch breaks, but that can happen, just not likely. I think I will see what the market is for Rajai Davis, Butler, Ruiz, and Hall. I wouldn't mind adding players with better long term outlooks. Might have to wait till the season starts though, but I will see what people are thinking.

What did you guys think of getting Castro, Minor and Porcello? My thought was that they certainly upgraded my immediate keeper list, but more importantly they could all be even better by 2012.
            If you can do it without hurting your future, go and do it. Being brutally honest here, I really don't see much of a chance for you to compete in 2011...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Well given that I flat out dropped Porcello in RJEL (where you picked him up) that probably tells you enough in terms of our differing viewpoints on him. Agree that he has nowhere to go but up though (especially compared to his 2010 1H) so he could surprise and I've cut bait too early on post-hype guys many times before.

I like Castro especially in a deep league like this and the fact that there is a huge gaping hole in ML offensive minded shortstops. Minor got a lot of hype and love down here in Atlanta last year but I need to see more before I shift my thinking that he was an overdraft a couple years ago (I just feel like they wanted Zach Wheeler and took Minor when he was taken by SF).

Very hard to deal Will Myers imo even with his shift to the OF but getting 2 for the price of 1 when the 2 have MLB experience and the 1 doesn't seems like the right move.

Comment

Yeah probably why Porcello only cost me a rsv round pick. He is a speculative play and better than the others I had in my mind.

Comment

OK upon hearing outsiders views on how bad my team really is I did put the two dead contracts (Davis and Bulter) on the block. I would up agreeing to a move today.

I give up Davis, Butler, Jameson Tallion and a 3rd round farm pick

for

Bumgardner $5 yr 1 (so I control him at 5 this year and next before his opt in 2013), Zach Britton (FARM) and a 1st round farm pick.

This opens up a keeper spot that will let me keep Lowrie and maybe Brett Wallace (who I don't expect to be great this year, but could be good by 2012)

Comment

Made one last trade, sent a 2nd rd rsv pick for a $7 Michael Cuddyer. Keeper were due tonight so here are mine...

1. Michael Cuddyer $7
                    2. Brett Anderson $5
                    3. Jed Lowrie $3
                    4. Starlin Castro $10
                    5. Chris Carter $5
                    6. Madison Bumgarner $5
                    7. Wade Davis $5
                    8. James McDonald $1
                    9. Mike Minor $5
                    10. Rick Porcello $5

Total $51
                    4 Farm players, Ben Revere, Nick Franklin, Zach Britton, and Jordan Lyles.

Anyway at least I have a ton of money to spend at the auction.

Comment

Working...
                    X