Help me with these prospects, part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with these prospects, part 1

I have a couple of spots available on my minor league taxi, it's a mixed league and only 10 deep so closer to the pros is a big plus. This is the top of my list as of right now, just seeing what others know about these guys to help narrow it down and see who I have to gun for early

Jason Kipnis
    Trayvon Robinson
    Devin Mesoraco
    Juan Miranda
    Anthony Rizzo
    Brandon Guyer
    Brandon Laird

Of that list, I like Mesoraco and Rizzo the best. But in a 10 team mixed league, I have to think there are better options available than any of the other guys. How many minor leaguers are rostered?

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
      I have a couple of spots available on my minor league taxi, it's a mixed league and only 10 deep so closer to the pros is a big plus. This is the top of my list as of right now, just seeing what others know about these guys to help narrow it down and see who I have to gun for early

Jason Kipnis
      Trayvon Robinson
      Devin Mesoraco
      Juan Miranda
      Anthony Rizzo
      Brandon Guyer
      Brandon Laird
      The top 4 on my list are Rizzo, Kipnis, Robinson and Mesoraco, ranked in that order. I would expect all but Robinson to be on BA's Top 100 list. Robinson gets a boost from me because of his SBs and Mesoraco rates a downgrade because he's a catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Of that list, I like Mesoraco and Rizzo the best. But in a 10 team mixed league, I have to think there are better options available than any of the other guys. How many minor leaguers are rostered?
        12 team mixed, it's a 10 player taxi/team so 120 minor leaguer's are rostered - there are some higher upside deeper prospects to come in part 2. To qualify you have to have not had a MLB AB by opening day each year. My current taxi is

Brett Lawrie
        Dee Gordon
        Lonnie Chisenhall
        Julio Teheran
        Jacob Turner
        Christian Friedrich
        Nick Weglarz
        Ryan Westmoreland

I had to promote Kalish and Bourjos (traded)

Comment

Yeah, I'm a high upside guy all the way, especially in a 12 team mixed league. They guys you already have like Lawrie, Teheran, and Turner fit that bill. The list of guys you are targetting is filled with low ceiling guy who at best are not much better than replacement level in a 12 team mixed league. To put it in perspective, I'm in a 14 team mixed league with 20 man minor league rosters. I think my worst minor leaguer is Laird and I plan on dropping him to get a pick in our draft. This is with up to 280 players rostered.

I like Laird, but guys like he and Guyer are players that provide no value to you in this league, so I'd rather go for a farther away guy with more upside like a Nolan Arenado, who is admittedly farther away and may not amount to anything. Other guys who may not be rostered, because they all blossomed last year, that I like include Jonathan Singleton, Jean Segura, Nick Franklin, Jurickson Profar, Kenneth McNutt, and Jake Odorizzi.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Yeah, I'm a high upside guy all the way, especially in a 12 team mixed league. They guys you already have like Lawrie, Teheran, and Turner fit that bill. The list of guys you are targetting is filled with low ceiling guy who at best are not much better than replacement level in a 12 team mixed league. To put it in perspective, I'm in a 14 team mixed league with 20 man minor league rosters. I think my worst minor leaguer is Laird and I plan on dropping him to get a pick in our draft. This is with up to 280 players rostered.

I like Laird, but guys like he and Guyer are players that provide no value to you in this league, so I'd rather go for a farther away guy with more upside like a Nolan Arenado, who is admittedly farther away and may not amount to anything. Other guys who may not be rostered, because they all blossomed last year, that I like include Jonathan Singleton, Jean Segura, Nick Franklin, Jurickson Profar, Kenneth McNutt, and Jake Odorizzi.
            Arenado, Segura, and Franklin were all coming in part 2. Nice name drops on the others, I need to research them. Thanks!

Comment

I would take Mesoraco and Kipnis from that list. I'm a believer that it finally clicked for Mesoraco and the power that he was always projected to have finally showed up. He's not great defensively, but he's good enough to stick and playing in that ballpark I think he has the potential to lead NL catchers in HRs at least once in the next 5 years. He'll always be a lower AVG guy, but there's plenty of ceiling here.

I don't think Kipnis has quite the upside, but it sounds like he's got enough power for a small guy to be useful. Sort of like a short Neil Walker. He'll get a shot at some point this year and could give just enough in each category to be sneaky useful.

I like Robinson's OBP/speed combo well enough, but I still think older SB-only guys can be had for pennies on the dollar in most leagues and there's no chance that he ever turns into anything more than that. How does Miranda qualify for this list? Hasn't he already had MLB at-bats? Rizzo's fine, but he's a power-hitting lefty 1B who's now stuck in Petco, which is death to lefty power. That makes him a career .284 milb 1B playing in the worst ballpark in the majors for his skillset. Guyer is an interesting guy because of the numbers he put up last year, but the scouting reports sound pretty blah. If you've got a gut feeling then run with it I guess. I like Laird a little better, but where does he find playing time? Seems like you'd take him and then pray for a trade.

Comment

Good stuff guys, I'm probably going to be looking a little stronger at the guys in my other post. Not enough upside in this group, but I'll probably dial up Mesoraco if he falls a few rounds. I like what I've read about Laird but he's clearly blocked and I like what the data says about Guyer, apparently Medici has read some less pleasant things though.

Comment

Working...
                X