No announcement yet.

Chris Johnson to be Released in March?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Johnson to be Released in March?

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that "several teams" around the league believe the Titans may release Chris Johnson before the fifth day of the new league year in 2012.
    Johnson's 2012 salary of $8 million would be guaranteed if he's on the roster at that point. It's guaranteed for injury only. According to PFT, the feeling is now that the Titans won't pay the money "unless his on-field play improves significantly." The fifth day of the next league year would fall in early March of 2012. Johnson signed a six-year, $55.26 million contract on September 1, and has been thoroughly ineffective through seven games.
    Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Nov 6 - 10:49 AM

I have no clue what to think about this. Why even sign him to that deal then. They could have cut bait and saved the money.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
      I have no clue what to think about this. Why even sign him to that deal then. They could have cut bait and saved the money.
      they didnt realize how bad he became.....
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

here is how his contract breaks down:

"Johnson has $17 million of his total of $30 million guaranteed, which currently is guaranteed for injury only. It's not guaranteed for skill (diminished production). Of that $17 million, $8 million doesn't convert to skill guarantee until the fifth day of the 2012 waiver period (early March). The remaining $9 million converts on the fifth day of the 2013 waiver period.

So the Titans conceivably could release him for decline in skill -- assuming he continues to struggle -- after one season of the long-term extension and not owe him anything more beyond his $13 million in 2011 pay. Of course, it's highly likely the Titans will give Johnson at least another season and pay him $22 million over the first two years of the deal.

However, the Titans then could get out of the deal after 2012 and save that other $8 million. Johnson is set to count $12 million against the 2013 cap.

Johnson's $8 million salary for 2012 de-escalates by $300,000 if he fails to rush for 1,000 yards this season.

Johnson will earn $3 million this season in guaranteed base salary, and he received a $10 million signing bonus when he signed Sept. 1."
        Chris Johnson has looked nothing like the running back who torched the NFL for three seasons. If his fall continues, Johnson's Titans tenure might not last long because of how his contract is structured.

Comment

Wow, NFL contracts suck!

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
            Wow, NFL contracts suck!
            Really, as opposed to MLB contracts that overpay by tens of millions of dollars?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I mean MLB contracts are all guaranteed, this "poor" guy is having a crappy season and is going to lose millions.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                I mean MLB contracts are all guaranteed, this "poor" guy is having a crappy season and is going to lose millions.
                He should lose millions, he's been awful. I have never understood why so many MLB players make millions beyond what they deserve. They are akin (albeit less egregious) to the CEOs/bankers that lose millions for their companies yet still get rewarded with fat bonuses. MLB owners/GMs could learn a thing or two from their NFL counterparts...but I doubt they ever will.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  MLB owners/GMs could learn a thing or two from their NFL counterparts...but I doubt they ever will.
                  They'd have to get the MLBPA to agree to non-guaranteed contracts, and that will never happen.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                  X