2K11: Aaron Harang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Aaron Harang

What do you guys think of a bounce back for Aaron Harang? Still has good command and used to be a workhorse, but hasn't been worth more than $8 since 2007.

Of course in 2007 he was worth $27 in 5x5.

Interesting tidbit from the San Diego Union-Tribune

Aaron Harang has admitted that his infamous four-inning relief outing back in May of 2008 forced him to alter his mechanics due to fatigue and he's never been able to recapture them.
    "What it did," said Harang, "is fatigue me beyond the point of recovery. I started to change my arm angle to compensate for the fatigue and that’s when my forearm started to bother me." Many have long suspected that manager Dusty Baker's nonchalant use of Harang has led to the right-hander's downfall. The stats don't lie, as Harang was coming off back-to-back 16-win, 200-strikeout seasons and held a 3.50 ERA before the relief appearance. If he's able to reclaim his mechanics in a more hospitable environment in San Diego and PETCO Park, we could see a big bounce-back year.
    Last edited by DJBeasties; 02-12-2011, 02:04 PM.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

2010's numbers appeared awful for the full season, but his injuries and lack of innings overall played an important part of that no doubt.

The 2 months where he pitched the most May/June he also was his most effective with ERA of 4.26/4.15.

Potentially having half of your starts going from Cincy to San Diego is a good thing for any pitcher much more a pitcher who tends to get alot of balls in the air.

Two other points which I believe are to his advantage: outfield defense and bullpen.

I would say pay close attention to his health during spring and if he appears to be on solid footing I think he is a cheap and potentially solid gamble in 2011.
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

The numbers say rebound but he has always seemed to disappoint. Not every season, but a bunch of them, it seems.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
        The numbers say rebound but he has always seemed to disappoint. Not every season, but a bunch of them, it seems.
        Agreed. You have to go back to 2007 to get a season thaty you would be happy with.

I thought he would rebound last year. In our NL keeper with high inflation he went for $11. I cannot remember if I paid that or I traded for him. Either way bad move.

I figured in his new home I might get a little something in trade...not so much. I will be putting him back. If I can grab him for $5 or under I will take a shot. I doubt that happens.

Comment

He seems to be a trendy pick from a lot of the experts this year, and he's someone who's almost always underperformed his peripherals. This no doubt is true in part to GAB, but Cincy did have a decent OF defense last year. I'd go up to $8 for him in an NL-only but anything more than that is wishcasting.

Comment

If Petco can turn Jon Garland into a fantasy asset, I have to believe Harang will prosper there. Assuming Dusty didn't completely wreck his arm. Which is a large assumption, so in a 12-team, NL only, I probably go up to 10.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
              Interesting tidbit from the San Diego Union-Tribune
              And to add to the Harang abuse, on Memorial Day in 2009 Dusty brought him back after a 2-hour rain delay just so he could get the third out and qualify for a win after going 4 2/3 with the Reds up. As a Harang owner that year, I was simultaneously elated and horrified.

Comment

Originally posted by AbPow View Post
                And to add to the Harang abuse, on Memorial Day in 2009 Dusty brought him back after a 2-hour rain delay just so he could get the third out and qualify for a win after going 4 2/3 with the Reds up. As a Harang owner that year, I was simultaneously elated and horrified.
                Geez.
                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  If Petco can turn Jon Garland into a fantasy asset, I have to believe Harang will prosper there. Assuming Dusty didn't completely wreck his arm. Which is a large assumption, so in a 12-team, NL only, I probably go up to 10.
                  You know, I had completely forgotten he was in SD now and away from Baker. I'd also be tempted to go to $10 in a 12-team, NL only league. And I might have him on my bench in a 15-team mixed, just so I could spot-start him at home.
                  “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by AbPow View Post
                    What makes you think that was Dusty's idea? Sometimes it's the player's idea, ego triumphant over intellect.

I think Harang may be improved over the last couple of years, but not nearly what he once was. I'm not even thinking of going double digits for him.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      What makes you think that was Dusty's idea? Sometimes it's the player's idea, ego triumphant over intellect.
                      From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Baker felt the risk was minimal.

"As long as kept throwing," Baker said. "There's a risk every time a guy goes out there. We were concerned. He wanted the game and he deserved a chance to go get that."
                      Sure, Harang wanted to go out there. But managers are capable of saying "no". In this case, bringing Harang back was consistent with Dusty's M.O.

Comment

Harang is one of the guys I am targeting as a sleeper this yr, Harang is originally from SD and lives there in the offseason.

Comment

Aaron Harang was pounded for seven runs on seven hits over three innings Wednesday against the Reds.
                          He walked one and struck out one in the outing. To make matters worse, the Reds only had one projected starter (Brandon Phillips) in the lineup. A three-run homer by Ryan Hanigan and a two-run shot from Chris Heisey were the big blows.

normally, I dont care what happens in ST but in Harnag's case, you want to see progress and he is not progressing. Sure Petco will lower his HR allowed but this is just not the same pitcher anymore and it doesnt matter what park he is in. I dont know if its between the ears or overwork in Cincy but I am staying away.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I have him at $11 in my 12 team NL only keeper league. I was sure I was throwing him back. Then he was traded to SD. We do have inflation, so I start to think maybe. But then I have to ask myself, even though he is hyped as a sleeper does he really go over $11? So I decide if he is lights out in spring, maybe I keep him. This is not lights out. I just think I have to throw him back and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X